Knife carry w/ backpack

Haha, not by intention :) I have a full 1L canteen on my belt on the other side, weighing it down a little bit, so it's sitting a bit lower in that pic than if I were just wearing pants/shorts with nothing on the belt. You folks are spot on, just didnt feel the need to explain to the other guy. Hiking Big Sur in the summer is a thirsty business.

Thanks Sideways for the excellent, illustrative post :thumbup: BTII, amused!

Some people have been hiking for so long that they just do what they're used to whether it's right or wrong. It's entirely possible that someone started wearing packs before they knew that they needed to be sized and just carry on doing the same thing because the right way feels "different" then what they're used to. It's also entirely possible(inevitable if you ask me) for a highly experienced person to make a rookie mistake. YMMV

I have a sheath that has a drop-loop. It folds behind the sheath when I want to wear it normally, or when employed, drops it just below my packs' waistbelts. When I'm in the woods, I feel best if my knife, my compass, my map and fire stuff is on my person, rather than in my pack.

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Same. I've become a big fan of a drop loop sheath, both for the room it allows for a knife below the waistbelt of a pack, and also because it moves nicely out of the way when sitting, etc. The ones from BHK are excellent.

Some people have been hiking for so long that they just do what they're used to whether it's right or wrong. It's entirely possible that someone started wearing packs before they knew that they needed to be sized and just carry on doing the same thing because the right way feels "different" then what they're used to. It's also entirely possible(inevitable if you ask me) for a highly experienced person to make a rookie mistake. YMMV

That's not a problem, as the posts with sharpguytoo demonstrated. I have in no way attacked those who aren't doing it the "right way", I'm just trying to help new folks out or experienced folk who may enjoy their time outside better by re-evaluating things. Hell, you of all people, know that if you're going light enough, a hipbelt isn't even necessary. So like anything else, carrying a pack comes down to "do it however you want to do it, you're carrying it". I'm just pointing out the mechanical basis for why a hipbelt functions the way it does, and how it helps you better enjoy your hike if you're going to use one. And that wasn't even the point of the OP, we were talking about knife carry, so my apologies for contributing to the drift.

The problem is the attitude with which killumsoftly's opinion was delivered, and the ad hominem snark after being contradicted. Unnecessary and counter-productive to any sort of discourse.

I am a rookie. I make mistakes. I learn. Even when I think I know something, it's only enough to realize how much I don't know. I don't swagger about, beat my chest, and expect to have any sort of fruitful interaction on here. I like to think I can help others learn from my experiences, just as I seek to learn from the experiences of others.

That's not a problem, as the posts with sharpguytoo demonstrated. I have in no way attacked those who aren't doing it the "right way", I'm just trying to help new folks out or experienced folk who may enjoy their time outside better by re-evaluating things. Hell, you of all people, know that if you're going light enough, a hipbelt isn't even necessary. So like anything else, carrying a pack comes down to "do it however you want to do it, you're carrying it". I'm just pointing out the mechanical basis for why a hipbelt functions the way it does, and how it helps you better enjoy your hike if you're going to use one. And that wasn't even the point of the OP, we were talking about knife carry, so my apologies for contributing to the drift.

The problem is the attitude with which killumsoftly's opinion was delivered, and the ad hominem snark after being contradicted. Unnecessary and counter-productive to any sort of discourse.

I am a rookie. I make mistakes. I learn. Even when I think I know something, it's only enough to realize how much I don't know. I don't swagger about, beat my chest, and expect to have any sort of fruitful interaction on here. I like to think I can help others learn from my experiences, just as I seek to learn from the experiences of others.

It's hard to attack people not doing it the right way when you yourself aren't doing it right. You say your pants are sagging but if you look at the pic you can clearly see your belly poking out below your packs belt. There's no way your stomachs should stick out below the belt if anything it might cover a bit of your lower belly but never have your belly button and lower stoking out but hey. You know your stuff and I don't so what can I do about it. No matter what I say or how you, you will be right so hey what can ya do. Whatever gets your fire going, good luck on the mtns to everyone I wish you all safe and fun journeys.

Holy thread revival! Just in time for my Denali trip too :D

desmobob - I'd love to see a pic as I need a good method to secure my new Ban Tang. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1062158-Ban-Tang-Drop-Point-EDC-in-S35-in-progress

If you're interested here's a quick review my pack.http://adventurereports.blogspot.com/2011/06/gregory-baltoro-75.html
It's not ultra light. It's not even light. It's downright weighty. But it was the right pack for my gear and experience level at the time. I have much smaller, lighter gear now and can get away with carrying MUCH less. Would I buy the same pack again? Not likely. I'd probably get something smaller/lighter. That said, I'm simply leaving the top off for the Denali trip and my total pack weight with food and water is ~23lbs (with Bear canister!).

Holy thread revival! Just in time for my Denali trip too :D

desmobob - I'd love to see a pic as I need a good method to secure my new Ban Tang. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1062158-Ban-Tang-Drop-Point-EDC-in-S35-in-progress

Nice knife (I'm a big drop point fan) and sounds like, nice trip planned!

I don't have a good photo of the sheath, but you can see it in this photo of my two favorite bushcrafters when they were fairly new; the Off the Map Custom Bushcrafter is the top one in the photo. You can see the back of the sheath showing the normal belt loop and the drop loop attached to it with a metal ring. I've used it a lot and it works very well.

The other knife is an original Koster Bladeforums bushcrafter with another type of waistbelt solution: a pelican hook attached to the sheath loop. The sheath can be worn conventionally, or taken off the belt and securely clipped somewhere else.

Have a safe trip and take lots of photos!!!!

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Forgot to mention, if I'm carrying a small enough fixed blade, I'll carry it horizontally on the belt, just left of centerline, that also gets it out of the way of the hipbelt.

For the sake of illustrating this for others, I'll post there what I posted in guillamo's thread :thumbup:

[...]

Horizontal carry should work just fine with a pack hipbelt. I carry my Fallkniven WM1 that way, no problem, can't find a good picture showing it right now. Otherwise, a drop loop is just the ticket. I use a drop loop on knives larger than my WM1.

If you look hard, you can see it on my belt next to the canteen in this picture:

388475_584200048266082_1536078263_n_zps46b7ebc5.jpg

I had a set-up like Desmobob's Off the Map one on my NWA, worked very well for me too :thumbup:

IMG_9308_zps52ce86d7.jpg

Was on a hike today with my F1, reminded me to add this. Guillamo, if you (or anyone else) wants a kydex sheath with a dangler/drop-loop built in, I can't speak highly enough of Kiah of Kiahdex Sheath Systems (he has a subforum here on BF). His built-in snap buckle danglers have worked so well for me :thumbup: Getting one without the snap buckle would be no problem too, if you didn't want it.

aed9bc8d.jpg

38009800.jpg

7726d617.jpg

IMG_1422_zps31742540.jpg

My WM1 sheath is from him too:

IMG_9920_zpsf5daedde.jpg

IMG_9916_zps674fa61d.jpg

desmobob, HikingMano - Do you find the danglers bounce when you walk, hike or climb? Are there any disadvantages I should be aware of

No, not enough to be noticeable, in my experience. It also depends on the weight/size of knife. My relatively heavier NWA had a bit more movement when walking,maybe. But a little knife like the BT drop-point EDC should be no problem. A knife that small, I'd prefer to carry it horizontal myself.

I actually find the dangler, particularly the webbing sort like on my kydex sheaths, allows for much more flexibility in movement. I can hike, scramble, climb, without impeded mobility, and the sheath moves out of the way on its own when it needs to. And mentioned, it really works well when sitting.

The only disadvantage I have noticed is that it does offer another snag point when moving through thick stuff. A normal sheath keeps the profile low, since it rides so close to one's body. The dangler, while not horrible, does offer a little more to get caught on brush. It's not a big problem, because normally, unless you manage to thread something right through the webbing (or in my rare case, wedged between the sheath and firesteel handle), your forward motion will pull it right over the snag. But sometimes you do feel it, and it might annoy some. Hasn't been a big enough deal for me though, certainly not enough to outweigh the benefits. :thumbup:

A note on why I like the snap buckle. I like using them for two main reasons. First, I can put on or take off the knife without having to deal with the belt. I can do it when sitting, even. Second, the buckle lets me quickly and securely attach the knife to things like a pack or a branch at camp, etc. I have sometimes, when scrambling through rock stuff, unbuckled from my belt and buckled to my pack's tow loop and tuck in an exterior pocket until out in the clear. This isn't for movement, but for the noise the kydex sheath can make clacking and scraping against rock. It's only a minor annoyance for me if it goes on for a while, but perhaps that may be another disadvantage to consider if you are hunting a rocky area, you want the knife on you absolutely 100% of the time, and you don't want to felt your sheath or something.

IMG_1422_zps31742540.jpg

My WM1 sheath is from him too:

IMG_9920_zpsf5daedde.jpg

IMG_9916_zps674fa61d.jpg

Looks like a good setup to me! Pack looks comfy too.

Most of my knife sheaths either have Dangler loops or long belt loops. This way, if I'm wearing a pack with a wide waist belt, the sheath/knife doesn't get in the way. I used to lash a knife to the shoulder strap or the loops on the bottom of my day pack. Once I realized that if I didn't have my pack, I didn't have my Fixed blade, I started wearing the fixed blade on my belt a lot more.

desmobob, HikingMano - Do you find the danglers bounce when you walk, hike or climb? Are there any disadvantages I should be aware of

I was leery of the possibility of bouncing/swinging when I bought it, but I figured that would still be acceptable if I wanted to keep my knife on my person rather than on/in my pack. Turns out there is negligible swinging, probably in part to the D-shaped ring that holds the extension loop on, and no noticeable bouncing. The only time I'm reminded my knife is on the dangler is when I am sitting down and it might get under my thigh.

Anyway, it's not nearly the hassle I expected; hardly any hassle at all.

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Grrr... I tried to make my own "dangler" from some extra webbing and it didn't work at all. I guess that's why Kiah put that extra piece of kydex on your F1 HikingMano.

Any suggestions?

20130503_224321_zps4e127573.jpg

Back