Knife for Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Multi tools are great as tools but they suck as knives. Don't let all the civilian never served types here convince you that is all you need. Look for something light with a 5 or 6-inch blade and you will be OK.

Served 10 years in U.S. Army Combat engineers. Served in Vietnam with the 39th Combat Engineers 1967-1968. Carried a issue Camillus made scout knife. Most the guys in my company had the same or a Buck 110 from the PX. Very little need for a fixed blade. Medically discharged 1971 at 50% disabled from active duty injuries.

What's your service/combat experience?

Last edited:
I'm currently awaiting deployment and looking for a fixed blade with a 6" to 8" blade. Not really worried about price as long as its under $650. I have my eye on a few Randalls, Fallknivens, Bark Rivers, and Busse knives. 100% open to suggestion. Just looking for a good hard use fighting/survival knife.

Two questions...

1) You're looking at some pretty big knives. Can you describe some specific uses you have in mind that is best served by something in that size range?

2) You're looking at some pretty pricey knives. Can you describe what you want to get from knives in that price range that you might not get in less expensive knives? Better performance due to better design? Better materials? Pride of ownership?

Never been myself, but the guys I talked to that came back from overseas all carried a good quality folder or a small, easily accessed fixed blade. One friend said his CRKT Minimalist was most useful to him. My experiences are more outdoors based and not combat based but I agree with their philosophy on the matter. Stuff gets heavy in a hurry.

As others on here have said, you don't have to go super expensive to get good quality. For a do-all knife I would recommend around a 4" or so blade, because a larger blade makes smaller tasks more difficult, and with a little creativity you can tackle bigger tasks. In a very rare emergency defensive role a 4" blade isn't perfect but will tear things up pretty badly. Apparently a lot of guys love the black Spyderco Aqua Salt.

Having a quality multitool along side a good knife can be a tactical advantage. Take a look and see if you can find one that has the tools you'll most likely need. It may weigh a little and not be great at any one task, but how much can you combine into one tool and leave other stuff behind?

it might help to include that as a scout sniper, i'll be using this fixed blade a lot for utility survival/field work. I really like the winkler knives you guys mentioned.

You won’t be disappointed especially w/ the military discount.

You could also go w/Chris Reeves Special Forces knife...it fits your specs :p:D

You'd lose. The traditional "KaBar" patterns are weak at the bolster.

Ka-Bar as a brand made good knives; some of the best slipjoints you could buy for decades.
The infamous rat tail tang. I have seen bored Marines abuse kabars and they hold up just fine. We even had Camillus made kabars instead of bayonets for the Marines carrying the M240 machine gun. Sure the rat tail tang is weak, but it still works good enough.

Last edited:
I don't know the exact situations the op will find himself in but I sure am glad everyone else does. He made it through sniper school and likely SERE school as well, he wants a 6-8 inch blade let us give him suggestions that fit HIS question not tell him why he is wrong. Respecting his question is part of respecting his service to our country and to us.

I'm the CMFTW knives guy. I was 11C/B in Mosul 03-04. I can build you a bitchin combat/utility for well under your budget.

This is what I built for myself. It's on my hip right now.

.....this would serve you well !!!!

I would also look for a Busse TRASH1 if you can find it on the exchange/eBay etc. They are a bit of a sleeper I believe and are still well priced.

Two questions...

1) You're looking at some pretty big knives. Can you describe some specific uses you have in mind that is best served by something in that size range?

2) You're looking at some pretty pricey knives. Can you describe what you want to get from knives in that price range that you might not get in less expensive knives? Better performance due to better design? Better materials? Pride of ownership?
My great granddad brought back one of his blades from world war II. I wanted to carry this blade originally but couldnt because it fell apart. Mostly due to misuse im sure but im now looking for an indestructible blade. Like a few pointed out id feel better with a quality fixed blade. The point im making is not only do i want a knife for service but one i can bring home and pass down. i know i didnt make this a specification in the original post but it's just something to keep in mind.

I don't know the exact situations the op will find himself in but I sure am glad everyone else does. He made it through sniper school and likely SERE school as well, he wants a 6-8 inch blade let us give him suggestions that fit HIS question not tell him why he is wrong. Respecting his question is part of respecting his service to our country and to us.

I think the others and I may have misunderstood where OP said "100% open to suggestion" to mean OP is actually open to all suggestions, not just validation.

I think the others and I may have misunderstood where OP said "100% open to suggestion" to mean OP is actually open to all suggestions, not just validation.
I wasn't trying to step on toes, just asking contributers to stay close to his size and use suggestions. Maybe not to give him reasons based on personal experience or secondhand hearsay why he really wants something else. This happens too often here in general knife discussion. A gentleman asked about a fixed blade for edc in Canada and got 3 pages of how he better not consider it a self defense tool. Just read the post and reply with what that man asked no civics/history/legal lesson needed. One or two guys saying it is fine but geez.

An ESEE 6 is a pretty fine tool in that size range or maybe the TOPS Prather War Bowie. Op do you prefer stainless or is carbon steel ok?

I wasn't trying to step on toes, just asking contributers to stay close to his size and use suggestions. Maybe not to give him reasons based on personal experience or secondhand hearsay why he really wants something else. This happens too often here in general knife discussion. A gentleman asked about a fixed blade for edc in Canada and got 3 pages of how he better not consider it a self defense tool. Just read the post and reply with what that man asked no civics/history/legal lesson needed. One or two guys saying it is fine but geez.
I have found that the best way to get advice on which Spyderco to buy is to ask for opinions on which Benchmade to buy and vice versa.

And in either case people will always recommend a range of fugly Chinese knives and the inevitable Sebenza.

if I was in your shoes, I would bring 3 cutting tools:

1. Winkler Recon or Winkler Belt knife - Because Winkler knives are awesome, heavy duty, and can get the job done. Plus he offers a discount to military and first responders, the guy is good, the brand is even better, but the knife is the best all around. Use this blade for everything, once the coating starts to wear off, the blade becomes a real slicer. You can beat on this knife.

2. Chris Reeve Small Inkosi Insingo - Because you will use this knife for cutting up your apples like a badass, keep this blade clean and the tip sharp so you can cut out hangnails BUT if you had to beat on this knife, you could do it AND once you come back, you send it in to CRK spa treat and it will look brand new, so you can either sell it and get some money back, or keep it forever.

3. SAK Alox pioneer - lightweight and this will do everything you don’t want to do with your fixed or folder. Open your bottles, scraping, prying, clean your nails, open cans, and most importantly... hand it to the dummy who is looking for a knife and will use it, and inevitably drop it tip down or break the tip. Don’t hand your Inkosingo or Winkler knife to anyone, give them the pioneer.

Total price for all these knives approximately, 300 for Winkler, 300 for CRK, 50 for pioneer.

Thank you for your service, your Knife is your jewelry.
Treat yo’ self, partner.

-

Served 10 years in U.S. Army Combat engineers. Served in Vietnam with the 39th Combat Engineers 1967-1968. Carried a issue Camillus made scout knife. Most the guys in my company had the same or a Buck 110 from the PX. Very little need for a fixed blade. Medically discharged 1971 at 50% disabled from active duty injuries.

What's your service/combat experience?
Rangers/Long Range Patrol 68-69 Viet Nam. 82 Abn after that. All real Infantry time.

Check out Pricey's Gear Advice on Youtube. There are reviews of Fallknivens and Bark Rivers on the channel. Microtech crosshair is my favorite fighting knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back