Test ad

Recommendation? Knife for dad's bday

He y'all I'm looking for a knife for my dad's birthday. I hope all of you knife experts can help me find the right one!
It's got to meet these criteria:

- 70$ maximum
-has to be partially serrated ()
-more than the 3-inch long blade
-wooden or earth-colored handle (classic, old-style looking, not typical modern military look)
-pocket clip
-not china crap
It would be used for opening boxes, cutting cardboard, camping, food prep, and possible self-defense. And sharpening sticks for the kids ofc

Let me know what you think! Thank you again

mwhich50

Basic Member
Civivi Praxis, $52. GREAT knife for the money. Decent user steel. Thin and slicey 3.75" blade.
It's from China, but it's definitely not crap. It has everything you want in a knife, minus the serrations (serrations:thumbsdown:).
You can check out the buyer reviews at BladeHQ, Knifecenter, or go to Youtube if you are curious.
If he's out in the woods, and accidentally drops his knife, the orange handle might save the day.

CIVIVI-Praxis-Flipper-LL-Orange-G-10-Satin-C803D-BHQ-110938-jr-thumb.jpg
Civivi-Praxis-Tan-G10-Satin-BHQ-87971-er-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
your basic problem is any knife these days with partial serrations tends to be 'military' looking... finding one with simple/old style looks with earth tone handle is difficult

ontario rat1 has you covered - od green or brown handle
great reputation - hard use workhorse
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL29udGFyaW8vaW1hZ2VzL084ODQ5T0RfMS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6IHsicmVzaXplIjogeyJ3aWR0aCI6IDc2MCwiaGVpZ2h0IjogNDE1LCJmaXQiOiAiY29udGFpbiIsImJhY2tncm91bmQiOiB7InIiOiAyNTUsImciOiAyNTUsImIiOiAyNTUsImFscGhhIjogMX19fX0=

BP_

Gold Member
I’d save up 25 extra bucks and have a Buck 110 with serrated blade built. It will last a lifetime.

Or find a serrated 110 online and send it in for spa service, rendering it like new again.

Crag the Brewer

Gold Member
-Old Hickory fixed blade knife.... Pick a length you fancy.
-Case of beer
-Bucket of chicken.

More meaningful than any folder......
Now go spend some time with your Dad! ;)

DMG

Gold Member
He y'all I'm looking for a knife for my dad's birthday. I hope all of you knife experts can help me find the right one!
It's got to meet these criteria:

- 70$ maximum
-has to be partially serrated ()
-more than the 3-inch long blade
-wooden or earth-colored handle (classic, old-style looking, not typical modern military look)
-pocket clip
-not china crap
It would be used for opening boxes, cutting cardboard, camping, food prep, and possible self-defense. And sharpening sticks for the kids ofc

Let me know what you think! Thank you again

it doesn’t exist. Which items on the list are negotiable?

SNIP

First off, does you dad already carry a pocket knife, and if so, what kind?

Please don't make the mistake of projecting your knife preferences on you dad if he's much of an 'older' generation. As a certified old fart and grandfather, and having been the recipient of gift knives from the kids and grandkids and other family members who knew I liked knives, I've been gifted a knife now and then that I smiled and said "Oh how nice! I'll use it well." All the while I'm thinking "What the hell am I going to do with this monstrosity?"

Get a newer version of what you dad already caries. As strange as it may seem to a young guy, us old farts have already made decisions and developed preferences. A pocket knife is a very personal thing and carries greatly from individual to individual, and generation to generation. A man who likes a traditional like a Barlow or stockman, won't appreciate a modern one hand tactical. The one hand guy won't appreciate a Barlow or trapper.

Be careful of you choice. It needs to fit the man and his lifestyle.

Dergyll

Gold Member
Hopefully the china crap is negotiable, things made here are either 50 bucks or 150 bucks...you will open yourself to alot more well made options if you do.

That being said, the only one I can think of right now that fits perfectly is the Kershaw Blur, one of my favorites. You'll have to get the 12C28N one if you want your partial serrations.

If the serration is negotiable, try one of the Kershaw CQCs, they're pretty nice and beefy and some come in D2.

If you're patient enough, you can hunt the forum here for a good deal on one as well, example I bought a half serrated presidio 2 off of a nice fellow here for 80$. CRKTs also likes to make serrated knives and I've seen them go on sale here for pennies.

I'll amend this post if I think of something else, but my brain needs a little more to get going right now (comon its Sat morning).

Good luck!

Edit: if you're willing to pop your budget slightly, benchmade freek and griptilians can come in just under 100$ with everything you need, including serrations. You can also get a tenacious, though that 8cr13mov is not all that good and the shape of it is more utilitarian amd not good for defence...there is one in S35VN but it's not serrated.

If you can give up the serrations, you need look no further than Cold Steel and Buck.

Last edited:

Silvanus

Gold Member
Like others have said, you will have to make some compromises on what you want because what you want doesn’t exist.

I assume that by “no China crap” you mean made in America. The closest you’ll probably get is the Buck Knives 110 Slim Pro. Not partially serrated but is the closest you’ll get to what you want

Bastler

Gold Member
Buck Knives offers a selection of American-made knives that meet most of your requirements and sell at a reasonable price.

OklahomaOutlaw

Basic Member
Hopefully the china crap is negotiable, things made here are either 50 bucks or 150 bucks...you will open yourself to alot more well made options if you do.

That being said, the only one I can think of right now that fits perfectly is the Kershaw Blur, one of my favorites. You'll have to get the 12C28N one if you want your partial serrations.

I concur.

There’s a brand new Kershaw Blur BLKST on eBay now for $66.55 and free shipping. Only problem is that it has black scales, otherwise it checks all of your boxes. Blade is Sandvik 14C28N DLC coated.

Barman1

Gold Member
Leatherman Free K2X would be a good dad gift at $79.95.
Unfortunately only comes in silver but the non-serrated K2 has a green handled version.
And unless there's a fairly talented knife sharpener around I'd opt for the plain edge anyway.

strategy9

Gold Member
Buck 722 Spitfire with a brown handle, made in USA
or Brown Ontario Rat1 made in Taiwan are the 2 best options I can think of that check all the boxes.

For $80 you can get a spitfire from the Buck custom shop with a serrated s35v blade, and engraved... but that could be a 2 mos. lead before you get it.

Last edited:

DMG

Gold Member
What about a Benchmade Grizzly Creek or Grizzly ridge? I have seen them on sale lately and they are a little bit more traditional looking. May have to bump the price up a bit but I saw them around a C note recently

Anyone tried this one? Does not seem very high quality, how many years do y'all think it could last, if used for the uses mentioned above?
CRKT M16-14ZSF Bead Blast Blade / Nylon Handle