Knife or Death

One of the biggest things they stressed was NO LOGOS. They were really hot on no advertising of any kind during filming. As far as Jeannie's Carothers blade, I saw it afterwards and it literally took no damage. What was done to it was easily fixed with very little re-sharpening. Probably just some stropping. It held up great. What they expect you to do on that show is not what you use a knife for. I had a lot of confidence in my S7 because I've done some ridiculous testing to S7 steel. I've worked with and have heat treated it for 13 years. The most extreme, a couple of weeks ago was shooting a 3"X6", 1/4" thick, 58 rc coupon with a 308 cal. rifle at 53 yds. It was shot twice with no denting at point of impact. I can't post pics but there is a photo on my IG page.
Scott

Welp, that's just too bad man that they ended up cutting out your run but like Jeannie had said, maybe your efforts will not be in vain if yours makes it to the extra scenes and as such, like they did in S1.

I went to your IG and although can't post IG photos directly onto here as photos, here's the link to the above for those interested if you don't mind:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo8-mbyAJtQ/?hl=en&taken-by=gossmanknives

Also, I guess that this was the type of the knife / chopper which you had used?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpCa9H0AG80/?hl=en&taken-by=gossmanknives

Lastly, I'm sorry as I had not known of you (yup, my own bad and ignorance) since your name was mentioned on here but looking at your IG et al, I don't really understand as to why they had to sacrifice your turn! Nothing in your social media shouts, "uninteresting"! The program runners must be agist bass-turds! :D

One of the biggest things they stressed was NO LOGOS. They were really hot on no advertising of any kind during filming. As far as Jeannie's Carothers blade, I saw it afterwards and it literally took no damage. What was done to it was easily fixed with very little re-sharpening. Probably just some stropping. It held up great. What they expect you to do on that show is not what you use a knife for. I had a lot of confidence in my S7 because I've done some ridiculous testing to S7 steel. I've worked with and have heat treated it for 13 years. The most extreme, a couple of weeks ago was shooting a 3"X6", 1/4" thick, 58 rc coupon with a 308 cal. rifle at 53 yds. It was shot twice with no denting at point of impact. I can't post pics but there is a photo on my IG page.
Scott
Well darn, sorry to hear about your run getting cut. Would have been great to see another BF member running the course, especially with one of their own blades.

As far as the no advertising/logos/brands goes, the show seems to be a little uneven with that.

For CPK'ers, it was blatantly obvious when they cut out the "Carothers" from Jeannie's intro (and even someone who isn't a CPK fan would've noticed the audio edit), and yet, they left in the HEMA giant talking about his Angus Trim sword

Nothing against Angus Trim. I've never been involved in HEMA/SCA/ARMA, but have friends who are, and his name is well known in those circles. It's just that it seems odd that mentioning one maker is OK, while cutting out the mention of another.

Last edited:
I agree with certain individuals that got by with mentioning makers names. I was specially told no logos of any kind. They even asked if my knife had any marks like my makers mark. It didn't have my mark. The way I made it there was not enough room on the ricasso for my stamp. Only had my steel mark, S7. Season one LT Wright Knives was mentioned. I originally made a knife from CPM 1V to use that had my mark and at the last minute decided to go with my first design from S7.
Scott

I personally would think it would benefit the show if competitors were allowed to tell who made the knives they used ...

it would not only bring recognition to the makers but might get more people involved in blade sports because they would have an idea of where to find blades to use in competetions ...

and I don't see the harm in that ... it's not like the contestants were wearing Pepsi or Bass Pro or Hinderer logo tshirts like a sponsership or something ... but to tell who made the blade you used seems a logical thing to be able to share.

If you are the maker of the knife you get to say you made it in the interviews and when Travis checks your blade in the beginning before your run. It's been mixed when you are not a knifemaker and have a knife made by someone else whether or not it can be mentioned who made it. In season one, I helped Dwayne Unger make his Bladesports comp knife that he used on the show but it was edited out that I helped him make it. It was portrayed that he made it himself. He wouldn't have had that knife if it wasn't for me.
Scott

If you are the maker of the knife you get to say you made it in the interviews and when Travis checks your blade in the beginning before your run. It's been mixed when you are not a knifemaker and have a knife made by someone else whether or not it can be mentioned who made it. In season one, I helped Dwayne Unger make his Bladesports comp knife that he used on the show but it was edited out that I helped him make it. It was portrayed that he made it himself. He wouldn't have had that knife if it wasn't for me.
Scott

By the way I was aware of your work but hadn't seen alot of it ... the blade someone posted from your IG account looked great ... I would love to see the version you used on KoD if you get around to posting a picture

In the end it's all about ratings for the network. Whatever the big wheels in the network feel will make people watch, that's what they want to air. How you look, perform and if you add enough drama, that's what they want.
Scott
I completely agree, it's all about ratings. It's a business! Not sure if expanding the sport even matters, just how much they can charge for advertising time.

Back