Knife or Death

Out of curiosity, I googled "sweating like a pig."

Pigs don't sweat much, so they wallow in the mud to cool off their bodies. So how did the English language expression "sweating like a pig" develop? It's actually a reference to pig iron, which is form of iron smelting.

When pig iron is originally created from iron ore, the smelter needs to heat the ore to extreme temperatures, and then move the liquid metal into the mold. Until the liquid cools, it can't be safely moved, as the extremely hot metal is liable to spill, burning whatever it comes in contact with.

How does the smelter know when the metal is cool enough to transport? When the "pigs" "sweat." As the metal cools, the air around it reaches the dew point, causing droplets to form on the metal's surface.

I don't know about pig iron sweating, but the part about pigs sweating is true. Sweating like a horse might be a better phrase.

Out of curiosity, I googled "sweating like a pig."

Pigs don't sweat much, so they wallow in the mud to cool off their bodies. So how did the English language expression "sweating like a pig" develop? It's actually a reference to pig iron, which is form of iron smelting.

When pig iron is originally created from iron ore, the smelter needs to heat the ore to extreme temperatures, and then move the liquid metal into the mold. Until the liquid cools, it can't be safely moved, as the extremely hot metal is liable to spill, burning whatever it comes in contact with.

How does the smelter know when the metal is cool enough to transport? When the "pigs" "sweat." As the metal cools, the air around it reaches the dew point, causing droplets to form on the metal's surface.

I don't know about pig iron sweating, but the part about pigs sweating is true. Sweating like a horse might be a better phrase.

I work in a foundry. I sweat like a pig.

The course itself is pretty demanding. Add the heat and you have a recipe for non acclimated folks to fall out. It’s much easier to just run through the course from your couch.
Can't wait to see your run Jonny! Oppressive heat is one heck of an extra obstacle.

The curious part of me wonders what the cost:benefit ratio of a cooling vest, like one of these
https://glaciertek.com/original-cooling-vest-gray-banox-fr3/
would be? Would the cooling effect offset carrying 5.5lbs?

Haven't used that one in particular, but the ones I tried while roadracing once upon a time, definitely helped (and you learn why you want to paint racecars light colors lol).

this would probably help a lot. Definitely need a tie clip, but beyond that...
WMBib3E.jpg

S 2
E 5
Gladius Maximus
TV-PG V,L

An experienced survivalist, expert bladesmiths, and martial artists will put their custom, historical weapons to the ultimate test on a knife course unlike anything ever built. Each competitor must slice, stab, and chop their way through a series of punishing challenges that could destroy blades. Can the Roman Gladius live up to its name as the “sword that conquered the world”? Or will it be outshone by the Oakeshott Longsword? Or will a modified Bolo called “The Reaper” cut down the rest of the competition? The fastest two competitors go head-to-head on the final course — “Dead Run.” One advances to the finale and has the chance to be called Knife or Death Champion, and win the $20,000 grand prize.

Premieres on:
Oct 31, 2018

Back