Knife or Death

Actually the guy who won, his knife was an engineered design and a high performance steel. There's no doubt that having the right tools helps.

I felt bad for the guy who's knife broke on the bucket, his edge was already crazy dull, that wasn't really his fault he had a bad knife.

Ah, thanks for that. The way they produced it, they made it appear as if he'd forged it without actually saying how it was made specifically. (Or I missed that part letting the dog out.)

Nathan, theoretically speaking: how do you think your upcoming Bladesport competition chopper would fair on that KoD show and is anyone planning on participating on a future episode (Let's say Dan Keffeler) equipped with the CC? Also, which version of the CC would you recommend?

I too am one of the TV refugees so didn't get to watch. But this was fun to read about and congrats again Jo!

I just saw Big Chris has an episode coming up in May. As cheesy as they make "reality" shows, it's always fun to see the BladeForums crew represent.

Ah, thanks for that. The way they produced it, they made it appear as if he'd forged it without actually saying how it was made specifically. (Or I missed that part letting the dog out.)

He is a pretty legitimate competitor, he made the top ten in Nationals this year and will compete in Worlds in Atlanta. Personally, I'm "not half bad" and I would not have been able to do that on my best day. He's an engineer and his blade (I think) is 52100. Unlike the other forger on the show he (his name is "Jo") could probably describe his primary grind geometry, edge thickness and edge angle, Rockwell hardness and other relevant information about his knife, and I'm sure he did the grain refinement descending heat steps after his forging heats and normalizing to make a tough strong blade with good edge retention. Most of the other competitors' knives would not be made at that level. Yeah, when you see a dude with a cowboy hat and boots it's easy to underestimate their knife-fu but the dude is pretty legit.

Nathan, theoretically speaking: how do you think your upcoming Bladesport competition chopper would fair on that KoD show and is anyone planning on participating on a future episode (Let's say Dan Keffeler) equipped with the CC? Also, which version of the CC would you recommend?

Oh it would have done really well. In fact a BSI legal competition cutter won yesterday's show and ours is among the best of that sort of knife. That said, there are constraints on a BSI knife that aren't required on that show and in my opinion the BC will outperform it. In my (admittedly biased) opinion the BC was probably the best knife there last night and had Jo been competing in a strictly women's event I think there is a good chance she would have won.

The guy that won was a well ranked BSI competitor but Dan is in a whole other league. Based on his recent performance at the national champions (he crushed it by a lot) he would have won that episode and probably by a large margin. And, there is nothing saying he would have to use a competition cutter to do it, he could have brought a Sasquatch or a Super Assassin, and that would have been just over the top.

Congrats on your run Jo! It was fun to watch someone you are familiar with compete.

And I was a bit surprised at the blade choices for the show ... the guy that won had a decent knife but I truely think the BC was the best knife in the competetion last night at least ... most the rest didn't seem optimal for the competetion.

Anyway Congrats to Jo and Nathan for getting to compete and getting some exposure to the world ... and can't forget to mention Grog's sheath looked awesome in it's cameo appearance!

it will be interesting to see the other episodes and knife choices and what blade ends up performing best in the end.

Recorded the show, but haven’t watched it yet. From what I can tell Jo did great, some chicken cheated, the show provided eye obstruction instead of eye protection, and the BC (weaponized) was impressive! Glad I have a BC coming!

Oh, and watching Dan Keffeler run the course with a Super Assassin would be pretty rad!

You did great Jo, time to focus and get ready for Atlanta!:thumbsup:
61c85c6942e0689c329c734bc23257ad--congratulations-images-go-car.jpg

Thanks for the explanation Nathan. I did not partake in the CC preorder but if extra units should become available, I may consider snagging one later on with the thicker blade geometry, should a few become avail whence future Fridays Sales sail to these shores :)

Jo, I'm sure that Grog will be super stoked when he finds out that his DNA was rep'd on the Tube but he's currently on a much needed / deserved leave of absence in order to recharge his batteries. Maybe we can get him on that show to return the favor by repping a CC :D

On Dan (Keffeler, not Grog!) I've watched his technique from the perspective of someone who used to be a fitness / power lifting enthusiast and although I know jack-sheet about competition chopping technicals, angles, finesse, etc; I think that he has the perfect body type for these kinda competitors! He seems to be around 6 feet tall with a stout built and very powerful legs / lower body and core in addition to having more than ample upper body strength. I think that someone built like Dan K has the most suitable center of gravity ala an NFL fullback!

And, there is nothing saying he would have to use a competition cutter to do it, he could have brought a Sasquatch or a Super Assassin, and that would have been just over the top.

Oh man. I'm so used to seeing Dr. K swinging a CC that I hadn't considered what you wrote above. I would love to see him run that course with one of his own blades :eek: :thumbsup:

Jo and Nate,

Thanks for the 'behind the scenes' scoop.

Pea gravel... I was wondering if it was a bucket of kitty litter LOL!

Now I'm even more excited about my BC preorder!

Dan Keffeler on that show with the Super Assassin would be a hoot to watch!

I was kind of surprised at all the broken blades, but I knew that Jo's blade would perform well.
I was curious to see how many of the blades would do that, after seeing the course.

Apparently, the 'fruit ninja', has never heard of the expression, "You never go to war with an untested weapon". When they had the 'blade preview' and he mentioned that he'd just gotten that bowie a couple days prior, I think I might've rolled my eyes IRL (especially since they'd shown a photo of all his other knives).

Based on the CPK LC I've got, and the BC's specs, I'd definitely agree that the BC was the best blade in that lineup.

I don't doubt that the BSI chopper that won it is a quality blade (and it showed), but aren't those restricted by length and weight? The competition videos on YouTube look like they all have a 10" blade length.

I was curious to see how many of the blades would do that, after seeing the course.

Apparently, the 'fruit ninja', has never heard of the expression, "You never go to war with an untested weapon". When they had the 'blade preview' and he mentioned that he'd just gotten that bowie a couple days prior, I think I might've rolled my eyes IRL (especially since they'd shown a photo of all his other knives).

Based on the CPK LC I've got, and the BC's specs, I'd definitely agree that the BC was the best blade in that lineup.

I don't doubt that the BSI chopper that won it is a quality blade (and it showed), but aren't those restricted by length and weight? The competition videos on YouTube look like they all have a 10" blade length.
There is no weight restriction, but yes, the CC blade is a maximum of 10" and since for this 10" was the minimum, I believe the course was really set up for something a bit longer.

I kind of cringed when the guy with the bowie said that he just got it from Palestine. I didn't think that a hidden tang knife would hold up very well. It didn't. Then, there was the fine bent Japanese sword. :rolleyes:

Jo, now that both you and the weaponized Big Damn Knife are TV celebrities, are you planning on offering "photos with Jo and the WBC" at Blade 2018? :)

Oh man. I'm so used to seeing Dr. K swinging a CC that I hadn't considered what you wrote above. I would love to see him run that course with one of his own blades :eek: :thumbsup:

Oh yeah man there is YouTube video of him cutting down pretty good size trees with a super assassin in two whacks, it's crazy. That's a sword that can go through a two-by-four in one hit pretty easy, it would have been insane on the Knife or Death competition.

Back