1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knife or death

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by turbosquirrel, May 12, 2018.

1. turbosquirrel

turbosquirrel Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Been watching the show for awhile. Question to the group...if you were on the show, what Becker would you bring and why? If you wouldn't bring a Becker, what would you bring?

Personally, I'm torn between bringing a 9 or possibly the Reinhardt.

Let's hear what you'd bring!

Xr6x likes this.
  2. GeofS

GeofS Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2018
    The 21 hands down. I don’t know if the 9 would be long enough.

3. SALTY

SALTY Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2000
    The difference in performance is overshadowed by so many other variables. They are both great knives - but there's just something about the 9.

Xr6x likes this.
  4. bladesmith3

bladesmith3 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2015
    I love my 9 but on that show the bigger the better. that's because they want ratings... lol

19-3ben, Tanker 1/66 and Xr6x like this.
  5. Aikiguy

Aikiguy

Aug 28, 2013
    If I had to bring a Becker, I’d be the 21. The heavy, weight forward knives seem to do the best in the competition.

Having said that, I’d don’t think I’d bring a Becker. I love me some cro-van in real life, but edge retention would be lacking in this case. Need something in a better steel.

Xr6x likes this.
  6. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I would mod a sharp swedge onto a BK21 if I was taking a BKT -- a Swabbie with sharpened clip could also be interesting.

Xr6x likes this.
  7. Xr6x

Xr6x Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 17, 2015
    With all the swings you need to do the 9 would be my Becker choice :D. The only worry with be the edge lasting enough to hang with the 3v blades . It just might ?? ;)
    KaBar choice the Parangatang might have a good chance.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  8. Tanker 1/66

Tanker 1/66 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    @Xr6x Great minds Brother. Parangatang!!!!

Xr6x likes this.
  9. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2000
    Send a BK21 to Jerry Fisk for sharpening and win the game!!! When Ethan brought the proto BK21 out to play with a Fisk sharpened edge, it did way more cutting that weekend than the course would require and was still plenty sharp :)

10. turbosquirrel

turbosquirrel Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Hmmmmm.....i'm digging some of the suggestions! It appears the real purpose of the show is to see who's blade dulls the slowest and if true, perhaps a modded zombie knife or Fisk`d 21 would do the trick. ;)

11. Rebel Nimrod

Rebel Nimrod Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2014
    I think the 29 might do ok!

Tanker 1/66 likes this.
  12. Don W

Don W Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I watched that show for the first time last week. I dont know which would be best, but I do know my shoulders and elbow can not deal with that kinda chopping any more. The guys that did well just smashed that stuff to bits. I was impressed more by the men than their knives.

13. nutoknives

nutoknives

Mar 27, 2011
    Definitely the Renhart Kukri The Shiny 1 on top or to the left

[​IMG]

14. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    good times

15. DavidCAndersen

DavidCAndersen Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2013
    It seems the 10" long Bladesports knives have done well, or rather, those competitors have done well thanks to their experience in competitive cutting. But, my Bladesports friends I have talked to who did the show have expressed that more length would have been an advantage for this show's style of competition and specific obstacles.

My vote would go to the 21

16. KingMC

KingMC The Pun-isher Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    The BK20/29 seems to obvious choice: heavy, 11", 0.25" stock and full-flat grind so closer to a BSI design than any others. I would worry about the 21 being too bent and having a lack of control compared to the straighter bowies.

nutoknives likes this.
  17. nutoknives

nutoknives

Mar 27, 2011
    Hmmm 20 Vs The Reinhart Kukri I may have some fun this weekend

The Kukri has the weight and the length over the 20
    The 20 thinner cutting edge
    I could see where most might think the 20 but if you get the chance to swing the Old Reinhart Kukri may change your mind and or thought KingMc

the 20
    [​IMG]

the Kukri on top

[​IMG]

GeofS likes this.
  18. KingMC

Jul 25, 2014
    I've actually had a swing-off between the 20 and the 21 (not the original, but the Ka-Bar), and I found the 20 to be much easier to control and surprisingly better when it came to chopping; it threw bigger chips and made it through branches with fewer strokes.

Evidence of actual use:

[​IMG]

19. nutoknives

nutoknives

Mar 27, 2011
    That is the 1 Becker actually 1 of 2 Beckers I do not have the Kabar 21 and the 12 HMM just noticed that oh well a Kawinkidink let me know if you interested King Mc could send the old satin Kukri your way if you want looks like some woods near by Hope all good with you and yours the old blackjacks all 3 Kukri very able as Bravo will attest no woods near by but made my own test also and the 20 just a touch behind do to weight compared to the Old Kukri

my urban wood test

[​IMG]

Tanker 1/66 likes this.
  20. KingMC

Jul 25, 2014
    I appreciate the offer but I think I'm good.

I believe your assessment of the old 21's chopping ability, I can imagine with thicker stock the Reinhardt would be a better chopper as the issues I had with the Ka-Bar version all seemed to stem from lack of weight: it bounced off the wood more often and rotated in the hand more easily than the 20, something I think a little extra weight would fix.