Knife or death

I appreciate the offer but I think I'm good.

I believe your assessment of the old 21's chopping ability, I can imagine with thicker stock the Reinhardt would be a better chopper as the issues I had with the Ka-Bar version all seemed to stem from lack of weight: it bounced off the wood more often and rotated in the hand more easily than the 20, something I think a little extra weight would fix.

You hit it on the head KingMc with the older kukri as the weight was the big difference, Ethan himself had asked if I had the pleasure of using the older Reinhart and I can attest they work well and know what he was referring to, if you change your mind hit me up, have a few so not like I would be without, going to get them out and show some love this weekend and pretty sure not many love the 20 as much as me but them old kukri just got the 20 by a smidge KEEP EM SHARP Brother

You hit it on the head KingMc with the older kukri as the weight was the big difference, Ethan himself had asked if I had the pleasure of using the older Reinhart and I can attest they work well and know what he was referring to, if you change your mind hit me up, have a few so not like I would be without, going to get them out and show some love this weekend and pretty sure not many love the 20 as much as me but them old kukri just got the 20 by a smidge KEEP EM SHARP Brother
Nuto I still gots your handles In a drawer at work Brother.

The BK20/29 seems to obvious choice: heavy, 11", 0.25" stock and full-flat grind so closer to a BSI design than any others. I would worry about the 21 being too bent and having a lack of control compared to the straighter bowies.

The winner of Ep 2 was using a larger Kukri... has me convinced. Just needs a forward lanyard!

becker-bk21-forward-lanyard-1.jpg

Believe it or not, my wife digs the show and watches it with me. I keep saying to her that I hope to see a Becker on it.:thumbsup:

I appreciate the offer but I think I'm good.

I believe your assessment of the old 21's chopping ability, I can imagine with thicker stock the Reinhardt would be a better chopper as the issues I had with the Ka-Bar version all seemed to stem from lack of weight: it bounced off the wood more often and rotated in the hand more easily than the 20, something I think a little extra weight would fix.

the KaBar version with the factory grind was poor performance, until i spent 20 minutes with a quick work sharp reprofile, minor work, just a quick convex, and a polish...

if you are CHOPPING with your tools, you want a convex edge. period. full stop. end of story. don't even bother otherwise.

if you are CUTTING things, well, things vary :) but the Scandi profile is still valid.

you are doing a bit of both? convex, polish, 2-3 micro bevels. have at it.

but a factor 220 single bevel grind is kinda rough for what we like to do. might not break, but won't perform.

imho.

Production knives are not allowed at least not with out modifications. How much I am not sure. I think that will change in season 2.
Having said that I would take the 4 and crush it. The 4 and some attitude would make that course it's bit$h.:cool:

The knives used on KoD have to be "custom" and not production made ones. It totally changes the name of the game with those stipulations.

Yes, they have. One guy had a Cold Steel messer. He said it was slightly modified, but, it looked exactly like the factory model.

The lady I interviewed with said they wanted a "custom", whatever that means, I don't know. I do have a custom blade to use though...

Agreed with Bladite. I tuned up my BK21 with diamond stones and it cuts pretty well. The strange deflection/twist is a function of the very forward edge relative to the handle. You can reduce this with more of a trailing cut technique. But above that weight I've got 15 axe-shaped objects. :D

Wouldn't mind wielding a two-handed fantasy slasher for fun, though. There's a thread on KoD designs over in Shop Talk. It's back a few pages at the moment, but a search should turn it up.

I've actually had a swing-off between the 20 and the 21 (not the original, but the Ka-Bar), and I found the 20 to be much easier to control and surprisingly better when it came to chopping; it threw bigger chips and made it through branches with fewer strokes.

Evidence of actual use:

AWBWSi3.jpg
It's funny I had the the exact opposite my 20 came with a poor uneven edge and sucked my 21 came with the best even edge and had been the best chopper I own . My 20 now is fine after hours of edge work my 21 I just hone with a rod here and there all good :) :thumbsup: My 21 chops better than my 20 :D
IMG_1818.JPG IMG_1993.JPG

Last edited:
I've had the same experience as @KingMC, in that I felt like the 20 was a better chopper than the 29. Throw the BK21 in there and it takes the cake!

The inconsistency with factory edges can make or break ones feelings about a blade easily ;) I've always thought handle fit in your hand is also very important and can have a lot to do with how well the knife works for you. With a heavier chopper if the Handel is too thin the knife can turn and twist like hitting a foul ball playing baseball :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I've had the same experience as @KingMC, in that I felt like the 20 was a better chopper than the 29. Throw the BK21 in there and it takes the cake!
I think my 29 Is a better chopper than my 20. My 20 is still unused in the box and I dont want to dirty it up. So yes my evaluation is one sided :confused::D

Back