Knife Sharpening, Necessary Life Skill?

Definitely think that it's a necessary life skill. For 100% of the population with the physical ability to do so, no, but I'd say for the mass majority it can be a very invaluable skill to have. The funny thing is after I had taught myself to do so well enough to show sum friends, they all of a sudden had a bunch of knives that needed sharpening lol.

They all call the hone a sharpening steel. The way it works is every 2 weeks "The knife guy" shows up and we can cut stuff again (YAY!!:rolleyes:). Of course the knives are cheap crap and need to be touched up after a few days.

I've worked as a meat cutter for going on 45 years for 4 major grocery chains and that's exactly how we get our knives. Every two weeks we get our dull knives replaced with slightly less dull knives.

"Is knife sharpening a necessary life skill?'

Nope. At least not for most/many people in most of the Western world (which is where I assume the OP is located).
With so many people massed in urban settings and with a relatively functioning postal service, one doesnt need to know how to sharpen ones knife. Just get them to a sharpener.

That being said, I sharpen my own knives and couldnt imagine taking/sending them to someone for sharpening (or buy new ones, like Ive seen some do with cheap ceramic knives).

Sharpening my own knives is part and parcel of being a knife aficionado IMO.

Sharpening a knife isn't rocket science, or should not be.. You can sharpen most knives on the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup at the diner or Starbucks in a pinch.

I know how to change a bike tire and tube, and do all the other work on my bikes.
However, I very much exceedingly loathe flat tires.
On my trike, I have "thorn proof" tubes, Gorilla tire liners, and 16 ounces of tube sealant in each tire.
Goatshead thorns/Sandburrs seem to be the "State Flower" around here.

If I continue to get flats ... Them airless foam tubes like 'No Mor Flats' or solid foam tires are the next step.

As for sharpening knives ... I would agree free-hand sharpening is a necessary skill if you use a knife while hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, etc.
There will be times in the field when you'll have to touch up the edge.
If a person can only get a good edge using a powered sharpening system, they be kinda screwed when there no power. (plus those powered syatems would be a major pain in the back to carry out in the field.)
You ride a trike - which one (pic?)?
I can see, how one wouldnt like a flat tire .... let alone three.

Sharpening a knife isn't rocket science, or should not be.. You can sharpen most knives on the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup at the diner or Starbucks in a pinch.

I think the main reason people can’t sharpen a knife is the lack of skill, not the lack of an abrasive.

I recently looked at a book on the Swiss Army Knife. It was full of neat things to do with your SAK, except for how to sharpen it. Not a mention of that.

I recently looked at a book on the Swiss Army Knife. It was full of neat things to do with your SAK, except for how to sharpen it. Not a mention of that.
Probably for two reasons:
1. It just isn't that complicated, and
2. The author probably assumes anyone buying/reading a book on neat things to do with a SAK probably already knows how to sharpen a SAK.

I just read this entire thread because I get so much enjoyment out of free hand sharpening, I wanted to see if others do it for the pleasure of it. My skill is adequate for my hobbyist needs. I also prefer to slice up my cardboard recycling with a knife that cuts. Now for my ask... I don't know much about various types of knife steel. Any suggestions on how i can get started learning more about various kinds of steel? I would like to learn.

Seems people I encounter in the workplace that carry pocket knives also carry them quite dull and appear to get along good enough for them.

The part that has always baffled me is not one of them has ever asked me to sharpen theirs for them or teach them a few tricks on how to do it themselves even though they are all fully aware mine are kept at a very high standard of sharpness and I am quite happy to assist in this endeavor. They almost seem at times to hide them from me if they had theirs out.

Yeah, I see maintenance as a necessary evil when one uses a tool.

It's like having a rifle and not knowing how to at least bore sight and zero it in. If you carry and use a knife, it would behoove you to know how to sharpen it as well. Just my own opinion, that's all.

Happy New Year!

No, its not necessary. But if you are into knives, you want them sharp. So, you can:
A - send them to pro sharpener everytime they get dull (I think its kinda costly)
B - buy a sharpening system (even 40 Eur Lansky will do the job)
C - learn to freehand

I think, every skill you learn is a good thing, like, you are never going to say: Man, I wish that I never learn how to sharpen a knife (or put something else here).

Self awareness should be a life skill. Then the rest can follow naturally.

If you liked knives your learned self awareness would have you noting that you needed to sharpen the knives and if perhaps you lacked something like an ability to maintain an edge you would recognize it and hand the blade to a person who was able to sharpen; instead of complaining that XYZ steel /ABC knives are no good/or a particular blade shape has no use.

Just like a musician can play an instrument; recognize when it needs tuning, and then tune it or hand it off.

You ride a trike - which one (pic?)?
I can see, how one wouldnt like a flat tire .... let alone three.
Miami Sun Traditional, with the optional 7 speed and rear disk brake.
I've added full fenders front and rear (duck tail fenders) a Wald 157 "Giant Delivery" front basket, changed out the "tractor seat" for a "beach cruiser" saddle, added a suspension seatpost post, put on a half moon beach cruiser handlebar (I've never cared for "Ape Hanger" bars), two mirrors, two Zéfal LED headlights (mounted on the fork legs) mounted two Zéfal LED taillights lights on top of the rear fenders, a tow plate (I have a garden/nursery cart to pull behind the trike) and a few other goodies. :)
I can't post pictures with my "smart" phone. I'm not sure if it is too stupid to or if I am. :oops:
I've tried the hosting sites without success. I'll be happy to email a photo, though. :)

plumberroy plumberroy L leghog tagged in case you would like to continue the conversation here.

Is knife sharpening a necessary life skill... still?

A simple question and I'm using it a bit as a reference for the importance of learning life skills of this nature, in general. The "why" behind why we think this is really what I'm after in order to understand other's ideologies and philosophies.

It was brought up in another thread that knife sharpening should be a life everyone knows. I am of the opinion that it is useful but not essential because too many people don't know how to do it for it to be called essential. They thrive just fine without it.

It's a simple topic but in my mind it comes down to a philosophy of life in general of the importance we put on skills and DIY vs delegation and working other things with that now released time. Further, you can read into how people place importance of their life skills over other's and their openness to see others as different vs right or wrong.

A quick recap of the backstory, if interested
This sparked my interest:
"Hate to be this way but many people are just too lazy to learn to sharpen. They would rather pay big money for super steel knives and send them back to the factory to sharpen. Instead of buying one of the many knives that you can touch up as you go"

My opinion to the above statement:
"There's no problem with this, in my mind. That's like saying you should build your own house and you're lazy because you haven't taken the time to master the skills and apply it, whether you have the time or not. Or build a car... and so on. Life choices, we have the freedom to choose and the decision you chastise is not wrong, just different."

The rest of the conversation is in this thread but I didn't want the leading post to be more complicated than the above questions
https://bladeforums.com/threads/quality-hatchet-companies.1632023/page-2

As an aside, this time of year I routinely reflect on the prior year's happenings, mostly those things within my control but some outside of it also as it generally relates to the environment in which I operate. These are the simple questions I like to ask because it can lead to deeper questions, understanding, and help understand the purpose behind myself and other's actions, emotions, and more importantly to me, how to motivate, inspire, and foster growth in others.
Taken literally , lack of a "necessary life skill " would result in death . Such a scenario is possible but unlikely . Probably a fairly large majority these days have not a clue on sharpening and seem to survive just fine .

The normal civilized environment can radically change during natural or man made disasters . Or some may depart voluntarily from the support and protection of modern society to venture into the wilderness (or some inner cities ) . Then self-reliance and survival skills / supplies / equipment can become truly necessary for life .

A necessary life skill, not at all. But, it makes sense to know how to sharpen a knife if you own one or more. I've always looked at it like this, the more I can do without getting someone else involved, the more money I can save for my play things.
If you look at all the mundane things we do without a second thought, why wouldn't sharpening a knife be one of those things? I mean, would you pay someone 5 or seven bucks to put new string on your weed eater, or check the air pressure in your tires, or change the battery on your riding mower ? Most folks would not.
Would you want to pay me 95.00 to come to your house and change a flapper on a toilet, when you could have went to Walmart and picked up one for 5 bucks??????

I just read this entire thread because I get so much enjoyment out of free hand sharpening, I wanted to see if others do it for the pleasure of it. My skill is adequate for my hobbyist needs. I also prefer to slice up my cardboard recycling with a knife that cuts. Now for my ask... I don't know much about various types of knife steel. Any suggestions on how i can get started learning more about various kinds of steel? I would like to learn.

knife steel nerds is a very scientific approach to some of this. Probably more enjoyable, without getting too overwhelmed with info, is looking up specs of knives from an online retailer and doing a google search for info on that steel. Most steels will be discussed in terms of edge retention, and toughness and corrosion resistance tends to be either it has it or it doesn't, unless you start getting into a few tool steels that aren't stainless but still have a little chromium and other stain resistant elements (I think nitrogen and molybdenum help).

Back