Knife Sharpening, Necessary Life Skill?

It came with an edge that I used. Never sharpened it. I never even sent it into buck for sharpening and it was lowly 420HC.

In truth, I probably grabbed something from the kitchen after bringing the game home most of the time. Most of the knifes were sharp enough, I guess, or had the prepared chef sharpen sheath things though I wasn't really allowed to use those for rabbits or squirrels, which was 90% of what I cleaned. Not including fish. Never sharpened a fillet knife either. Probably just replaced it if it ever god dull enough but I think we just thought everything was sharp back then. Push harder and slice more times until the meat separates. I "know" differently now but everything seemed to work fine then too.

Most of my family's "life skills" can be attributed to figuring things out vs knowing a lot of different skills that we brought together. For example, using a hack saw to clean fish when the knife wasn't handy. Not traditional but it worked. I know we used the hack saw on deer a lot too but that's not too creative since they have bone saws, but we didn't know there was such a thing. Honestly, probably used saws and scissors for a lot more than they were designed for instead of knives. Can't say my step dad ever sharpened his 110 in the decade or so I hunted with him either. I don't know if he did something with it at work but I never saw a sharpening stone around. Maybe he hit it on the bench grinder?
Gives a whole new meaning to "butchered".

Gives a whole new meaning to "butchered".

But it all tasted delicious, just the same. Not saying it was the best way or the right way, but it seemed to work. Probably would've blown my mind back then seeing a knife shave hair too... or an axe that didn't have a rounded edge. We probably worked a lot harder than we needed to in a lot of cases but we made up for it with creativeness and enthusiasm.

C'mon man. Back when I was a kid all of us knew how to sharpen a knife, and if you couldn't at least scrape some hair off your arm with your knife (that you sharpened), you were a laughing stock. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. This was in the 80s - 90s.

Even though you never saw old guys you hung out with using a stone, I bet they had one and used it. Hell, I don't keep whetstones just lying around out in the open. 99% of people never see mine either. They're only out when I need to use one.

Most old guys I know don't mess around with dull knives that won't cut. Many of their knives have been sharpened down to toothpicks, but they're never dull.

C'mon man. Back when I was a kid all of us knew how to sharpen a knife, and if you couldn't at least scrape some hair off your arm with your knife (that you sharpened), you were a laughing stock. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. This was in the 80s - 90s.

Even though you never saw old guys you hung out with using a stone, I bet they had one and used it. Hell, I don't keep whetstones just lying around out in the open. 99% of people never see mine either. They're only out when I need to use one.

Most old guys I know don't mess around with dull knives that won't cut. Many of their knives have been sharpened down to toothpicks, but they're never dull.

Back when I was a kid, we didn't. We just used them. Sharpening never came up about things that needed to be done.

I'm positive my Gramps didn't sharpen his knives well because they're not that sharp, including his pocket knife which is barely better than a butter knife last time he loaned it out at Christmas. Just how things were.

The OP answered his own question in how he handled game when hunting.

About the knife sharpening being a necessary skill? Of course I answered it, in the first post of this whole thread. I know my answer to the question, this thread is about others thoughts and opinions on the matter. 6 pages in, seems like I'm not the only person interested in the perspective and experiences of others. Isn't conversation great? Passes time and you learn a little bit about how different people have lived and done things, smartly or otherwise.

Unless I missed a different question your referring to.

Back when I was a kid, we didn't. We just used them. Sharpening never came up about things that needed to be done.

I'm positive my Gramps didn't sharpen his knives well because they're not that sharp, including his pocket knife which is barely better than a butter knife last time he loaned it out at Christmas. Just how things were.

Where'd you grow up? Might be a regional thing.

I was born in Texas but grew up in Kansas. Every guy I knew had at least one knife (and I mean EVERY guy I knew), and damn near all of em knew how to sharpen and kept the blade at least decently sharp.

About the knife sharpening being a necessary skill? Of course I answered it, in the first post of this whole thread. I know my answer to the question, this thread is about others thoughts and opinions on the matter. 6 pages in, seems like I'm not the only person interested in the perspective and experiences of others. Isn't conversation great? Passes time and you learn a little bit about how different people have lived and done things, smartly or otherwise.

Unless I missed a different question your referring to.
Your story of what you did with game demonstrates knife sharpening is a skill you've needed in your life. Work smarter, not harder.

Where'd you grow up? Might be a regional thing.

I was born in Texas but grew up in Kansas. Every guy I knew had at least one knife (and I mean EVERY guy I knew), and damn near all of em knew how to sharpen and kept the blade at least decently sharp.

West Michigan, most of us didn't have knives. Probably had some to do with them starting to become illegal in schools as it was a big deal as I came through the school system. We were probably more likely to have a shotgun in our car than a knife, you would think you would need both but we did more small game hunting than big game hunting so we just drug everything back to the house.

Your story of what you did with game demonstrates knife sharpening is a skill you've needed in your life. Work smarter, not harder.

Agree to disagree, I guess this is a difference of what "needed" means to each of us.

"Need," is a term that varies, depending on your level from 3rd World, into the varying degrees of the 1st World.

1st World technology has an excessive amount of fragility and a dearth of redundency built in, and, as with all empires, the day will come when the barbarians kill enough of the Technomancers that their knowledge in maintaining a higher lifestyle is list for generations.

Sounds far reaching and morbid, but I see it as very true. Reading a map, making and maintaing basic tools, the ability to clearly read and write, are fundamental skills human beings should have. If your life is measured in the energy taken in and energy expended, you tend to refine your life craft.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree, I guess this is a difference of what "needed" means to each of us.

Um, dude, if you needed a sharp knife and instead resorted to saws or "more vigorous cutting" with dull knives, you actually did NEED a sharp knife. For whatever reason, the simple solution of sharpening the knives eluded you.

I can agree to disagree in most cases, but this one is pretty cut and dry.

I didn't start carrying a knife until later in life. By then I was surrounded by folks who were very good at it. I can go into my local cigar shop tomorrow morning and there is a chance that the manager will sit down and ask me what knife I'm carrying and will sharpen it for me. I just started trying to sharpen and I'm pretty bad at it. I work on my own cars. I work on and maintain (and zero) my own guns and rifles and I do most the repairs in my home. Freehand sharpening is just something that I have not gotten the hang of. I just don't consider it a life skill for me.

Um, dude, if you needed a sharp knife and instead resorted to saws or "more vigorous cutting" with dull knives, you actually did NEED a sharp knife. For whatever reason, the simple solution of sharpening the knives eluded you.

I can agree to disagree in most cases, but this one is pretty cut and dry.
Yup. I knife is a tool. For it to function properly it needs to be sharp.

Last edited:
If knife is considered the number one surviving tool than being able to sharpen one must be important don't you think?
Doesn't have to be pretty.
Do it for yourself or don't do it.
If you can't do it you are basically relying on other people.
Go ahead and and keep the discussion on how in our day of age you can just get by, I simply pointed out though, why Its considered a life skill at its core and is labelled appropriately.

I didn't start carrying a knife until later in life. By then I was surrounded by folks who were very good at it. I can go into my local cigar shop tomorrow morning and there is a chance that the manager will sit down and ask me what knife I'm carrying and will sharpen it for me. I just started trying to sharpen and I'm pretty bad at it. I work on my own cars. I work on and maintain (and zero) my own guns and rifles and I do most the repairs in my home. Freehand sharpening is just something that I have not gotten the hang of. I just don't consider it a life skill for me.
what happens when the tobak shop closes or the manager quits, retires, moves, or dies?

what happens when the tobak shop closes or the manager quits, retires, moves, or dies?

Then he can hacksaw the end off his ceegars or cut more vigorously with his butter knife edge. ;)

I should have included that I'm still trying to learn. In fact, I just used a 1000grit on my knife and it is sharper, but I need to work hard at it. While I don't consider it a life skill, it is still something that I want to learn to do well.

All of the people I've hunted with, paid to have a rifle bore sighted, or it was provided, when purchased from a shop and then we went from there. We didn't really target shoot at all, only hunted. This is another interesting skill that I would not have considered using/needing unless someone else suggested it.

I don't get that. Different folks have different LOPs and diffferent cheek welds, which affects bullet impact. Having someone else zero YOUR rifle and you not checking and verifying it, is a good recipe for a miss on a buck of a lifetime!

Back