Knife sheath survival kit

So what pieces of kit do you guys have in or attached to your knife's sheath?

What collecter said. Keep several matchbooks (in those small plastic Ziploc bags) distributed around your pockets, for instance. Plus a lighter or two. And a spare blade (or two).

Usually a tredder tube band with either a face flannel, nappy, beer mat, and most recently 70% polyeseter / 30 % polyamide version of the same poked under it for general rag duty

I don’t all have them set up with extra items on the knife sheath, but a few are just designed well enough to add some essentials without being too bulky.

Sharpening stone, firesteel, possibly a smaller blade and on a few I have a small tube of needles and artificial sinew. These may be standard a few of my blades, but I do agree that most of these items are redundant and I too believe in avoiding all your “essential” eggs in one basket. Still, the fixed blade and sheath system provides a very functional and versatile package:

BTSystem-4.jpg

BTSystem-3.jpg

DSC04052.jpg

DSC04050.jpg

HibilisBushToolKit1.jpg

HabilisBushToolKit2.jpg

SERET3b.jpg

ROCK6

I steered away from sheath kits because they got too bulky; enough so that I wouldn't carry them. However, when I have a knife with a pouch on the sheath, well, I just have to stuff some things in there. You know how it is...

Now I am likely just to have a ferro rod and a bit of jute twine on my sheaths.

This what I have on one of neck knives.

IMG_0334.jpg

and all packed up into one nice little package.
IMG_0383-1.jpg

Bryan

048_020.jpg

esee fire kit (contains a compass & pjcb inside), flashlight, whistle, tinder straws, bic lighter, paracord, and dmt credit card sharpener.

045_004.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still working on the kit in the tin but on my Becker BK2 I have a lighter and a leatherman. I'm going to mount a firesteel on there too. It won't be a full-blown survival kit in one package but I can make fire and shelter with it. I suppose if I added some condoms and water purification tablets I could gather and clean water. And since I carry the knife on a belt with my .357 mag revolver that's another possibility (granted I'm far from an expert handgun hunter so it might be a remote possibility) to secure food. I suppose I could hang a water bottle off my belt too. So with all that on my immediate person, I guess that ups my odds a bit.

Nothing, thats what pockets and a pack are for.

Same here.

I had some really nice kydex from Godspeed Tactical with the ESEE pouch and survival tin inside. I thought that, with a Teklok, it made a very secure and stable quick on and off option to have basic survival gear handy for an unexpected overnighter. However, it ended up just being too bulky for me, and I gave up on the tin and just keep a keyring in my pocket with a striker, ferro rod, a small roll of jute twine, and a chunk of fatwood with a hole drilled in it. So long as I have a knife to make shelter building and fire prep' easier and faster, and the means to make a fire, I'm comfortable in saying that I could stay warm for the night until I can walk out the next day.

Here's one we did recently for a client's Bravo-1, PSK and firesteel. This is about as bulky as I want a sheath to get.
Bravo105.jpg

I like to keep most things seperate, so if one item gets lost I've got the others.

I like to keep most things seperate, so if one item gets lost I've got the others.

yup, that's why i still have these in my pocket:

044_046.jpg

and a firesteel, whistle and compass hanging in my pants' belt loop...regardless of what knife or machete is hanging on my belt.

044_045.jpg

I am presently designing a kydex sheath that has a fire steel holder and flashlight holder on the sides on the back it holds a dc3 in a snap out holder and on the front I am designing a clip on holder that you can pop in and out a altoids sytle tin with either fak or fire kit or survival tin, right now all my sheaths carry a fire steel fenix light a dc3 sharpening stone, paracord, ranger band canvas sail needles (magnetized) and some mini inferno and waxed jute and an esse arrow head. will have pics shortly of the kydex sheath system just need time I do wedding photography and wrapping up myn season soon, time off soon....

I am presently designing a kydex sheath that has a fire steel holder and flashlight holder on the sides on the back it holds a dc3 in a snap out holder and on the front I am designing a clip on holder that you can pop in and out a altoids sytle tin with either fak or fire kit or survival tin, right now all my sheaths carry a fire steel fenix light a dc3 sharpening stone, paracord, ranger band canvas sail needles (magnetized) and some mini inferno and waxed jute and an esse arrow head. will have pics shortly of the kydex sheath system just need time I do wedding photography and wrapping up myn season soon, time off soon....

Can't wait to see this!

That's a lot of stuff. I've got a bunch of pics of the Pouch-Sheaths that I make but I recently made one for a Tom Brown Tracker that I haven't posted any pics of yet, there's room for a bunch of paracord to be wrapped between the main sheath and the adapter plate... I'm still new to leather so I'm getting "better" but I like the "flex" it gives to a setup like this. This is probably the heaviest setup I've made (knife is heavy) but it's a Tracker so there's no way around it.

DSC05711.jpg

DSC05713.jpg

DSC05706.jpg

DSC05714.jpg

DSC05712.jpg

DSC05710.jpg

DSC05708.jpg

Eli

Tixx,

That knife is one that I made and I call it a 6/12 knife. Yea I like the orange too lol.

Bryan

Back