• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

- KnifeMakers Scribe -

See Jarod? Told you. :D

Might as well order stuff for 50 more, and get making them.

Once i get the cnc mill and lathe set up i try and make as many as possible as it takes some time to get it all running true. but once its set up it runs like clock work. the lathe work is manual and takes about as long as the mill work so i have 2 bars i work on at a time so i can keep the machines running. I'm thinking about making a bunch more up and taking them down with me to the ABS expo in San Antonino.

That's a good idea. You have a winner here. I'm sure looking forward to putting mine to work. :cool:

A while back you were making "big wheel" platens. That still going on?

That's a good idea. You have a winner here. I'm sure looking forward to putting mine to work. :cool:

A while back you were making "big wheel" platens. That still going on?

well i got the prototype done and posted that it was done but i have yet to beable to test it out. once i get my grinder done then we will see how it goes.

Okay. I finally bought Rob's B III platen, so my old platen is retired. A long time ago I built a 2.5' radius (5-ft wheel) platen from Micarta faced with stainless steel, but I don't yet know how it's going to track. It was wholly hand-manufactured and we know how that goes... So if it's hard to track I'm going to want one made to machined tolerances. I'll let you know what happens the next couple of weeks - you could always knock one of those out before you finish that grinder. No big deal. ;)

I am going to bed as i am so tired, i have 7 scribe body's made and thy just need there back end cleaned up and then heat treated. but i will heat treat all 20 at once. i have notices something a little funny. every once in a while one side of the index marks will be a bit lighter then the other side. I know its because the stock is not 100% true to center and when your only making index marks .005 deep a little shift will make a difference. So if you get one that has one light side and it is really bugging you and you hate it let me know and i will make another one for you. its just something that happens. I mean i could make everyone perfect but i would have to tune every one in be for milling it and that would double my time needed to make them and at that point its not worth my time to make them. so i thought i would let you know. i could try setting the index marks deeper but then thy become really wide.

Ok we have another opening and it will be given to the first person that posted that thy wanted one after the list was full.

Hi Jarod. I've sent you a private message and posted twice on your thread. I'd really like to get one of your scribes, but you havent acknowledged me at all. Can I get one of these or get put on a list for future scribes?

I'd like to get on the list for one, please let me know when the next run of 20 will be scheduled, so I can get you the $$. Thanks

Hi Jarod. I've sent you a private message and posted twice on your thread. I'd really like to get one of your scribes, but you havent acknowledged me at all. Can I get one of these or get put on a list for future scribes?

I'd like to get on the list for one, please let me know when the next run of 20 will be scheduled, so I can get you the $$. Thanks

sorry guys, i have been buys sorting throught all the emails i have been getting. I will try and put togather a list today for everyone that is waiting for the next batch.

Ok, another update. For the last few days i have been rewiring the shop's heat treat oven. I changed it from analog to digital. it was not holding temps at all it was going over by like 200 deg. so we over hauled it, well i did. now it holds a solid + or - 1 deg :D. this is the oven i was planning on using for the scribes but then it went to pot real bad and so we had to fix it. but now its fixed and i can start heat treating these puppy's.

I sent you a private message requesting to be put on the waiting list for your carbide insert scribe. I thought I would also request a scribe here.

Thanks,
Lewis Herring
Ft Worth
lewis at gandalf23 dot com

Once i get the cnc mill and lathe set up i try and make as many as possible as it takes some time to get it all running true. but once its set up it runs like clock work. the lathe work is manual and takes about as long as the mill work so i have 2 bars i work on at a time so i can keep the machines running. I'm thinking about making a bunch more up and taking them down with me to the ABS expo in San Antonino.

I'll be at the expo, and would love to get one from you. Dont know if you're forming a list for that, but if you are throw me on it.

Thanks, Steve

How's this coming along? I need this today, but I'm going to have to use my far less cool one. How about an update?

Thanks.

How's this coming along? I need this today, but I'm going to have to use my far less cool one. How about an update?

Thanks.

I'm hopeing to have them done by the end of next week. i use a cnc mill at work and it has been taken up with work jobs a lot so i have not been able to use it a whole lot. but nex week it should be open and i can finish the milling and then throwthem in the heat oven. I have a lot milled allready but not all 20 so not much longer. I'm going to see if the boss will let me program and use the 9 axes cnc mill to do the next lot of these so i can just load the bar stock and let her run. I would have to aproch it like a customer though as that mill is in very high demand so i would have to pay for time on it.

I would like to be on the next list as well. :thumbup:

Back