KNIPEX - Cobra XS Water Pump Pliers

:eek:
Nah. :)

x1KQWZc.jpg
I see. :eek:

Unsung hero award!

Torx plus bits!!!

A couple of my knives have Torx screws that were giving me some trouble. After seeing a post elsewhere talking about using Torx Plus bits instead of Torx, I gave it a try with VERY good results. For whatever reason, Torx Plus bits tend to fit in knife fasteners MUCH better than their Torx counterparts, with much less risk of damage. I'm not sure if it's a tolerance thing, or if knife companies have started to switch to Torx Plus screws.

For instance, on the Buck 104 Compadre, an Torx Plus 9IP fits a LOT better than a Torx T10. If you have a set of Torx Plus bits or drivers, give it a try and let me know if your experience is the same!

(The Torx Plus comes in the black case instead of green)
E120Re7.jpg
What's the difference between the two? Why the size # difference?

I carried my new slip from Gary today. It’s awesome! So small!! I was able to easily fit it in my left pocket along with my airpods and SAK Yeoman. It sat right above my airpods and I didn’t even notice it was there. :)

It’s so handy having a set of really good pliers on my person at all times. I had two situations today where they were indispensable. I was helping a buddy install a new radiator and pump in his PC and all he had were some vice grips that just weren’t hacking it. He almost stripped the fitting before I remembered I had the Cobra XS pliers with me.

The second was when I went to Target. The mask I brought had these little plastic pieces so you can adjust the ear straps. One came off and I couldn’t get the strap though the tiny eyelet. Enter the Cobra XS! I was easily able to grab the tiny piece of fabric sticking out through the eyelet no problem.

Also these are great

PsPPqhR.jpg

Don’t you tempt me! Keep going back and forth wondering if I should snag a set of those side cutters or the compound cutters @tiguy7 posted to go along with the CoBolts lol.

*edit
Damn you.

I just grabbed the 6" version of those and the Mini Pliers Wrench (which would have been ideal today). They should go well with the 7" Pliers Wrench and 8" CoBolt Cutters. Grabbed a few new multi-bit and ratchet drivers while I was at it. :)

Last edited:
I received a 5" pliers wrench a week or so ago. I was less than enamored with it, initially; but I'm hoping that will change, as I put it to use. (Nothing wrong with the tool... I think I was just questioning my decision to add it to the order).

full

Have had these for a few months, this buffalo leather sheath I had left over works well for keeping them situated in my pocket.

Not much I can’t do with these two, and the big toolbox is not too far away if they won’t get the job done.
full

A fellow sent his 5" pliers in for a slip sheath, not with a flap just an open top to keep them in the pocket. Here are a few images showing the size differences, for my use, the 4" ones will be the ones I would want to cart around, but both are very well made pliers.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Thanks for posting the comparison shots, Gary. With everybody talking about the XS, I was considering buying one; but now I'm even more confident that I made the right choice (for me) with the 5". It fits perfectly in my usual work pants, and in the back pocket of jeans. The XS would actually work for everything for which I use the 5"; but why mess with a good thing...

What I like abut the XS is that it very easily and comfortably fits in the coin pocket of my jeans. Sometimes I just have too much stuff on my belt with hammer loops, tape measure etc. and so taking the pliers sheath off and still being able to carry them is a huge bonus. The 5" would be too much. The XS are so capable. My experience with them, in any case.

Amazing how this thread is ongoing :)

Thanks guys and yes Ray, amazing for sure ;)

Here are a few more comparison, as you can see the 5" is more robust and thicker jaws than the 4"

I'm not sure why there's a dimple on the 5" pliers, makes it really look bird like ;)

The 4" wins for the tiny sharp biting beak where the 5" is just beefier.

G2

I was rummaging through some stuff and came across this little sheath. Guessing from the size compared to my 5" Knipex, it might be a good fit for the XS...now I'm thinking about grabbing one, so I have a use for the sheath.
View attachment 1557004

Now that I think about some of the sheaths I've seen mentioned, though, it might be too big...
With mine in it
View attachment 1557007

Looks like it could be handy for a lot of things though, always good to rummage around ! :)

That H was tricky to keep the burgundy out but I thought it looked pretty good and with the welt it made the slip sheath a little more solid and the slight curve around the one handle to help keep it from poking you while in the pocket seemed to be about right.

G2

Last edited:
The Mini Pliers Wrench and 6.25" High Leverage Side Cutters came in a few days ago. :)

I've already put the Mini Pliers Wrench to use twice. It's perfectly sized for PC water cooling fittings and it was a lifesaver when I did a blade swap/maintenance on a Para 3 Lightweight.

hrlQGD7.jpg

I'm also continuing to fill in the gaps and replace the lower quality hand tools in my shop. I've been meaning to grab some ball end hex keys to replace some standards, so I thought I'd go with the Wera's. The Bahco stubby and Williams driver are both ratchet drivers. I'm not the biggest fan of ratchet drivers, but I thought I'd see if some quality drivers make a difference. The Williams is supposed to be the same build as the Snap-On ratchet driver. The green and black Wera is just an extendable driver. I'm really liking their ergos.
REIgo6n.jpg

Last edited:
Fixall, I have the late 1980’s version of that Snap-on ratchet driver. Owned it for about 34 years. Has never needed rebuilding after years of use. The original bits in the handle still bite good. Still have my bottom Snap-on box from back then too! The Snap-on pliers and wire cutters below are from the late 80’s as well.

Picked up 3 more Knipex products after the XS purchase. This is my current mini kit I keep in my car. I use it at home, my gals home and the P’s home. Nice compact kit that can accomplish many things. I keep my Benchmade Phaeton in my pocket. An OTF is very handy for crawl space work.

Last edited:
Fixall, I have the late 1980’s version of that Snap-on ratchet driver. Owned it for about 34 years. Has never needed rebuilding after years of use. The original bits in the handle still bite good. Still have my bottom Snap-on box from back then too! The Snap-on pliers and wire cutters below are from the late 80’s as well.

This is my current mini kit I keep in my car. I use it at home, my gals home and the P’s home. Nice compact kit that can accomplish many things. I keep my Benchmade Phaeton in my pocket. An OTF is very handy for crawl space work.

Man, you could tackle just about anything with that kit! Very, very conveniently sized too. A lot of my cheaper tools are being relegated to vehicle tools, but I might have to do something nice like this in the future.

I used that ratchet driver today to put a new kennel together, and it's pretty great. Lots of holding power on those grooved bits! The driver has more teeth and is smoother than the cheapos I've used in the past. I dig it. Good to know that they're built to last!

Back