Knives at Disney in Florida Part 2

Glad yall all got in Scott! I'm glad we don't have to worry about things like that here in Bama. I know someone mentioned, it is FL vs CA, two totally different gun/knife states. Hope yall had a good time!

I carried an opinel 6 in universal Florida last October. I might have snuck it in though, can't remember.

If I do remember correctly though I think they had metal detectors inside the park in front of a few of the bigger rides. But they had free storage lockers right next to them.

Since the Pulse shootings everyone goes through a detector and all the bags are scanned at Universal.

They should be more concerned with wild life that lives in their lakes and eats little children, than any of us carrying a pocket folder!
I bet father of that poor little boy that was eaten by gator wished he had carried anything that could have been used as tool ex: knife, gun, hummer, etc. to save his kid!
I wouldn't go anywhere with my kids un-armed, if I can avoid it and I knew there was possibility that something dangerous like wild life is there waiting in ambush!

PS I don't go into nature un-armed either, "un-armed fool goes into the forest for hike, shortly after only bear comes out of forest to poop the hiker out!"

We were in Orlando when this happened, it was also right after that night club terror attack.

It's obvious that there are important differences depending on what Disneyland you're visiting. here in Europe (Disneyland Paris) you'd better not be caught with a Vic Classic or a Dragonfly 2 on your person... :thumbsdown:

What would happen in Europe? Automatically go to jail for carrying a little DF2?

I will actually be visiting Disneyworld. I am not even gonna bother trying even despite the info given here. I can live a few days without my blade. I have few blades 3" and under anyways. I won't even be leaving the Disneyworld Resort.

Since the Pulse shootings everyone goes through a detector and all the bags are scanned at Universal.
That was a few months before I went to the park.
Oh crap I remember what happened now, I went through the metal detector and just threw my pocket knife in the tray with my wallet, phone and keys, walked through and put everything back in my pockets lol. I guess Opinel's just don't scream menacing.

:eek: So , you expect to become gator :poop: and spend eternity there ? :confused:

Maybe i should bring my knife then! But seriously, i will be spending the entire trip on the resort. Staying at a hotel on the property too. Didn't bother renting a car

Does Disney have lifeguards watching over water when tourists/visitors are in there? Are there now any armed with rifles trained gator hunters, who make sure it safe for visitors? Cause, if after that horrible accident they still don't have full time armed security that is keeping park safe from wild life or terrorists than park is being highly irresponsible and negligent.

Personally I'm very un-happy about being un-armed and defenseless, but I can tolerate it if I know there are armed security around, somebody armed and trained better than everybody defenseless.

PS My relatives when first retired to Florida had 2 old slow Dauechuond "Winnie hot" dogs, both got eaten by gators soon after. It just came out of pond behind their house grabbed them in one bite! Another time I was visiting them and we seen wild life officers catch and pull out another live gaiter out of the same man made pond, until that point I didn't realize how unsafe it was, because it was man made not wild!
no they dont have lifeguards with rifles. they did put fences up and signs to try to stop people from going into water they shouldn't, from what ive seen and read. disney florida was built in a swamp literally. its surrounded by swamp. alligators are still somewhat protected. so wiping them out for tourist dollars aint gonna happen.

there are 20 million or so people who live in florida who live with gators nearby. we arent getting eaten daily

so the risk is low but people feeding them is the BIGGEST problem. stupidity is hard to stop. it is what it is.

i dont like to be disarmed either which is why i stopped going to disney and universal even though i have a young child. its their land they can do what they want and i support that even though i dont like it.

Maybe i should bring my knife then! But seriously, i will be spending the entire trip on the resort. Staying at a hotel on the property too. Didn't bother renting a car

yeah a folding knife, even a big fixed blade aint gonna do much on a full size gator unless you know how to cut their spinal cord or pierce their skull but thst brain is small and hard to hit.

staying in park is best way to do it imho. this towns gettin' big and dangerous. your risk of being harmed is far greater from people outside of the park, than a gator at disney.

have fun and thanks for comimg and spending your money.

yeah a folding knife, even a big fixed blade aint gonna do much on a full size gator unless you know how to cut their spinal cord or pierce their skull but thst brain is small and hard to hit.

staying in park is best way to do it imho. this towns gettin' big and dangerous. your risk of being harmed is far greater from people outside of the park, than a gator at disney.

have fun and thanks for comimg and spending your money.
;) Have you starred on or at least watched the "Swamp People " show ?:eek: Bet they could clean up them gators . "CHUUTUM' " ! :D

When I went, I just took a Leatherman piranha with me. I never needed it, but it made me feel as if I weren't completely naked.

I'm a knife knut. Always have been, always will be. However, Disney makes going to and from the park so dang easy, I don't see much need for a knife beyond a bit of a totem we tend to enjoy having close at hand.

We're planning going back next year when my daughter is almost 8. I'll probably leave the pocket knife in the room. Maybe splurge and treat myself to a Leatherman Tread just because;)
Those smoked turkey legs are a pain to share when you don't have something decent to cut them with. I know from experience that plastic knives are useless.

I would just focus on enjoying the park. The odds of a terrorist or gator attack at Disney are next to nothing and you aren't going to save the day with a pocket knife. Leave the knife in the car or at the hotel and carry it when you are off the property where the potential for hazard really exist.

I would just focus on enjoying the park. The odds of a terrorist or gator attack at Disney are next to nothing and you aren't going to save the day with a pocket knife. Leave the knife in the car or at the hotel and carry it when you are off the property where the potential for hazard really exist.
;) No way ! Those weird Disney Characters like Mickey Mouse and Goofy are even creepier than clowns IMHO and they can pop up anywhere from those hidden underground tunnels . :eek: Worse than the VC !:rolleyes:

I don't argue this one bit. I never carry a knife with the thought of using it to protect myself. I truly think of it as a tool I use for most daily simply cutting task. While at the parks for several days I used my knife 2 times. Once to cut a tag off a stuffed animal for my kid and the second to cut my wife's shoelace when it got caught under a turnstile and for the life of us we could not get it out.

We stayed at the Grand Floridian Disney Resort and we were either at the resort, on Disney Transport or in the parks the entire time. I can definitely say that my knife was not necessary but figured while I was there I would see if the rules had changed. I was happy to see that they had not. Disney could say no but instead has a reasonable policy in place for those that mess up and accidentally leave their small knife in their pocket. I am surprised a few others have had different results. I can say I certainly would not try this in California.

Hi. Some years ago we visited Disneyland Paris, together with my sister’s family (who actually lives there since years). You know, two families with prams and buggies and stuff, kids crying and running around, etc. :):D I got my SAK Spartan with me, the knife I carry normally around when visiting places as a tourist. It went through the security gates without any issue. Sure it was some years ago and probably they were a bit more relaxed in France.

Honestly though, the regulation about forbidden items to carry in Disneyland Paris only refers to “weapons”. “Weapons” is a fairly vague definition in Europe. Proper weapons are quite well defined and classified; “improper” weapons it’s something LEOs have the last say about. My experiences say it goes very much on their assessment/experience/level of alert and the overall “context” of the situation. A family man with a SAK likely goes through with no issues almost everywhere whereas e.g. too exuberant teen agers :), suspicious looking individuals, etc. would be probably be searched and questioned even for “suspect” key-holders. This practice might be questionable but not wrong. It works rather well in reality. The principle behind this, I think is somewhere along these lines: with the same three inch tool I can cut a sandwich and slice an apple for my wife and kids, a weirdo can cut a human throat open. As usual, it’s not the tool, it’s the people. Much more difficult to regulate...:p

Besides the use of a knife for everyday cutting tasks, there are other reasons for carrying a knife at a theme park concerning safety that have nothing to do with self defense. Once when I was a kid visiting Disney, my shoelace got caught at the bottom of an escalator as I was getting off. I obviously fell hard to the ground, and the escalator immediately pulled my shoe completely taut, twisting my ankle, pinning my foot down, and tightening the shoe so tight that all of the holes on each side of the lace area were touching making it impossible to remove my foot from the shoe. To make matters worse, this (very tall) escalator was chock full of people, and each person reaching the end of the escalator was blocking the next person's view of me on the ground, so it made for a mad scramble at the bottom. Luckily the shoelace eventually broke, freeing me, but it's honestly a wonder that I did't get trampled or otherwise injured. Looking back on it, it seems quite comical, especially when I remember my aunt yelling "Get him, IT'S EATING HIM" :D, but at the time it was quite scary and it certainly made a lasting impression.

Point being...Although I know that modern theme parks are engineered with the utmost safety in mind, if I am going anywhere with rides, slides, or anything that I have to be strapped into; you better believe that I am carrying something to cut myself free with should I (or a loved one) get inadvertently hung up on something.

I will actually be visiting Disneyworld. I am not even gonna bother trying even despite the info given here. I can live a few days without my blade. I have few blades 3" and under anyways. I won't even be leaving the Disneyworld Resort.

OMG!!!! You're going to be without a knife for a few days?! What if all hell breaks loose? What if you're in dire need of a knife to defend yourself? What if ISIS takes over Disney? What if Zombies attack? What if you find yourself in an epic lifesaving situation that can only be solved with a knife, and you don't have one?! What if....?

Good on you for being sensible.

Traveled to the Mouse House at least once a year for awhile...haven't been this year though. Once the crackdown at Universal ramped up it kinda negatively impacted DIS a bit.

But I find that putting the knife in your pocket as opposed to clipped to it works well. Stopped by a security guy at Aminal Kingdom who noticed my clip and asked the blade length on my XM...my reply was a cutting edge about 3"...dropped into my pocket and on I went.

The actual police officers at Universal are (in my experience) better in most every way at the metal detectors. Park employees can get a bit jumpy over belt buckles, car key fobs and even water bottles.

Back