Knives at Disney in Florida Part 2

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by whitty, May 6, 2017.

1. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Jun 5, 2012
    What was the point of this post?

Knife guys should leave their knives at home?

2. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Or what if.....wait for it....you needed to cut something!

Seriously, I just said this the other day in the bearings thread. We are knife nuts. We like to carry and use knives. Most of us don't like not having a knife in case we needed to cut something. Is that not the point of this forum?

We went to Disney World 2 years ago before a couple of the larger shootings in this country. I got into multiple parks a day four days in a row without being stopped. Plus, a lot of this does have to do with the difference between "land" & "world"......

Took an inexpensive Kershaw Tremor just in case I had to ditch it.
    [​IMG]

shinyedges likes this.
  3. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Agreed, cray. I guess I just felt his post was condescending and a veiled Jab at guys who don't leave their knives at home. Which confuses me because this is a knife forum.

jmh33 likes this.
  4. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Yup. It doesn't make sense to express antiknife sentiment on a knife forum.

jmh33 likes this.
  5. sharkattacksw

sharkattacksw

Aug 4, 2008
    :rolleyes: My point was that there's a time and place for everything.

Pomsbz likes this.
  6. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

Mar 6, 2000
    I think I'd try for joint of the mandible, maybe damage enough muscle loosen up the grip of those jaws.

7. sharkattacksw

sharkattacksw

Aug 4, 2008
    None of my responses are "veiled". I'm direct and to the point.

8. sharkattacksw

sharkattacksw

Aug 4, 2008
    I can't type today. I need a vacation day. Maybe I'll go to Disney...

9. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    Ah, I see. Your opinion of when it is the "time and place" is noted. I disagree with your anti knife hogwash, any place legally possible to carry is the "time and place" in my opinion.

10. John Watson

John Watson

Nov 29, 1998
    Well, I have never used my knives in a tactical manner but I cannot tell you how many times I have had to, cut this Pop Pop, or can you use your knife to open this Pop Pop, or go to grandpa, he has a knife and can cut that up in smaller bits for you. I can't see Kisney being any different, thing will need to be opened, strings will need to be cut off shirts, shoes, whatever and food will need sectioning for the little boy.

Just goes with the territory.

11. sharkattacksw

sharkattacksw

Aug 4, 2008
    Yep, you got me. Anti knife hogwash, that's what I speak. :rolleyes: Sniff...sniff... Do you smell that? Why, it's...it's...sarcasm.

Have a nice day, shiny.

12. RiderOnTheStorm

RiderOnTheStorm

Feb 29, 2012
    It's extremely rare for an alligator to kill someone. Only 27 people have been killed by alligators since 1973. That's over 40 years!

13. Wolf7

Wolf7

Jul 11, 2006
    I'm sure it's very comforting statistics for that poor father & relatives of gator other 26 victims!
    I read that in other places ex: Australia, Africa, South America both fresh & salt water gator attacks on humans are more frequent!

That is one of those "rare" situations, where he desperately needed knife & didn't have one, any knife would have been helpful at that point to try and save his kid! Any tool would be better at that point, than just standing there like a fool unable to do anything!

"Better to have it & don't ever needed it, than need it & not have it!" - when someone's life is at stake! Paraphrasing boys scout motto: "Be ready & be prepared always!"

Also, more than ones I have seen on the news where in amusement park rides broke down and people got stuck on top of them or somebody got tangled up in wire or ropes on those dangerous rides! I bet in those situations sharp knife could have been very useful.

Both Florida & California had incidents where old people crushed their cars on accident into crowds of people, people get injured or trapped, knife is very useful in those situations!

14. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Don't think a knife is gonna help you get the roller coaster functioning again. Just sayin'.

15. jimmyd1982

jimmyd1982

Mar 23, 2011
    Depends on the steel and if it has adequate jimping.

16. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    At minimum it would need full spine jimping.

17. RiderOnTheStorm

RiderOnTheStorm

Feb 29, 2012
    I'm not arguing they shouldn't have had a knife. They certainly should and I agree with your sentiments, but I just wanted to illustrate that fatal gator attacks are extremely rare. A knife would have little effect on large gator. A firearm would be your best bet. Disney doesn't prohibit the carry of knives in the park unless they are over 3 inches, at least that's been my experience. The area where the child was killed was at a resort where the father could have been armed if he was so inclined. I never would have let my 2 year old wade around in alligator infested waters, common sense should prevail at some point.

Crocodile I believe are what you are referring to in Africa and Australia as Alligators primarily live in the South East of the US and some parts of China. Different species, different behavior. Crocodiles are more prone to eat land based animals than alligators, where alligators are more interested in fresh water animals. Hence, why it's a bad idea to be wading in alligator infested waters, which is any body of water in Florida.

18. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Wolf7 we have native salt crocs in state as well on the gulf side mainly......not many though......

19. sharkattacksw

sharkattacksw

Aug 4, 2008
    and a sharpening job that only Apostle P would approve of, haha! :p