Knives eating jeans

Here's what Wrangler does with their Riggs workwear work horse line. You can find them for around $20. at Gemplers.
3W001VI_hr_4.jpg
I like! Never heard of gemplers, but could probably find them online.

Yeah, great idea but still is ugly IMO.

Oh and to the person who said ditch the clip, haha hell no. That's what is so great about modern folders, the pocket clip.

Yeah, great idea but still is ugly IMO.

Oh and to the person who said ditch the clip, haha hell no. That's what is so great about modern folders, the pocket clip.
You think it's ugly, wait till you see the guy wearing it :eek:

It just goes over the lip, basically what you see on the outside is on the inside. Why would you need it to go all the way down?

Makes sense. I don't know that you do need it to go all the way down in all cases, just wondering if you had done that with yours. I notice with some of my knives that depending on a combination of the thickness of the handles, and material on the scales, they can also cause very fast premature wear in the main part of the pocket, not just the lip. Not sure if it's possible to avoid that without taking other measure (such as with my CS Recon 1, sanding down the scales lightly, they were almost like sand paper at first and visibly wore an area in my pocket after only about 2 weeks of carry). It seems like at least some pants designs, like that wrangler pictured above, do allow for some kind of pocket reinforcement with thicker material (or leather, with the wrangler) that extends beyond just the lip. I'm hoping that the leather pocket slip I linked above will solve both problems for me with a couple of my large folders: it'll eliminate the clip wear on the lip, AND it'll reduce the wear in the main part of the pocket.

Funny timing. Two days ago, I took some iron-on denim patch material and did the same thing as you (without stitching, of course).
Takes two minutes.
My guess is it'll only last 3-4 washings, but then Ill just slap another one on (and one single patch makes a bunch of smaller ones).

55240-59d_1.jpg

My solution is the 5.11 Flex Defender Jeans. They have a very deep coin pocket that will accomodate most knives, also the area where you'd typicall carry a knife is reinforced, AND they have two extra pockets in the back that are good for knives, flashlights, spare mags, etc.

You know, it'd be interesting if some of our leather sheath makers would make a FRONT leather pocket protector, similar in concept to this rear leather pocket protector by duluth trading. If you had a very slim low profile removable leather protector that you could insert into a front pocket, that could be another way to deal with this.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/tradesmans-leather-pocket-saver-50260.aspx

I'm sold. I'll be buying a pair.
My solution is the 5.11 Flex Defender Jeans. They have a very deep coin pocket that will accomodate most knives, also the area where you'd typicall carry a knife is reinforced, AND they have two extra pockets in the back that are good for knives, flashlights, spare mags, etc.

Makes sense. I don't know that you do need it to go all the way down in all cases, just wondering if you had done that with yours. I notice with some of my knives that depending on a combination of the thickness of the handles, and material on the scales, they can also cause very fast premature wear in the main part of the pocket, not just the lip. Not sure if it's possible to avoid that without taking other measure (such as with my CS Recon 1, sanding down the scales lightly, they were almost like sand paper at first and visibly wore an area in my pocket after only about 2 weeks of carry). It seems like at least some pants designs, like that wrangler pictured above, do allow for some kind of pocket reinforcement with thicker material (or leather, with the wrangler) that extends beyond just the lip. I'm hoping that the leather pocket slip I linked above will solve both problems for me with a couple of my large folders: it'll eliminate the clip wear on the lip, AND it'll reduce the wear in the main part of the pocket.
Some g10 is rough as hell. And I can see them causing premature wear in there.

Can you post a pic of the pocket on the flex jeans?

I have been fixing my jean pocket's for years using the iron on patches then sewing them.

Another brand of jeans with good knife pockets is Kuhl. Kinda pricey, but they do last. Generous pocket size, thats a super 8 in my pocket. Theres a leg pocket also that easily holds xl folders too.
20180109_095824-1512x2016.jpg

Been around for ever in the cowboy world. Its called a Buckaroo pouch or a Folding knife pouch. The end of the thong back braids onto a belt loop by passing the pouch through the slot in the thong. Easy to move from one pair of pants to another, works on dress slacks to shorts. Drop your knife into the pouch and drop the pouch into your pocket. Need your knife, pull on the thong and the pouch pops out of your pocket, squeeze the bottom and the knife comes out. Leave the pouch dangling till your done with your knife. Easy peasy.

f2T6618.jpg

yqqIhuQ.jpg

9R3Jr93.jpg

MgQBq3P.jpg

Ihq4nwe.jpg

XjtKBwA.jpg

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Back