Knives eating jeans

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by shinyedges, Jan 9, 2018.

1. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Gold Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Man, those look sweet! Thank you!

Definitely going to order 1 today to try out. If I like them, I'll pick up 4 or 5 more.

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  2. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I don't use the clip about 80% of the time. I wear LA Police gear cargo pants when not in my work khakis and use the right cargo pocket for my knife. My SAK sits in my khakis pocket at work. If I wear a MT, its in a sheath on my belt.

I remember when I got my first (and only) Emerson and practiced drawing it out of the pocket to play with the wave feature. That will tear up some pants too.

3. Glenn Goodlett

Glenn Goodlett Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 6, 2016
    I usually wear pants out before my knife does but the armrest on my office chair catches hell from the knife clip. Yes, I'm a fat ass.

4. Gideons

Gideons Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 9, 2015
    How are these, do they stand out? I've been thinking about buying some, I currently have 6 or 8 pairs of $200+ jeans that the front right pocket is ripped out of lol.

EDIT: Just saw the video link for them.

5. xICEMANx

xICEMANx Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2012
    I've got a couple pair and plan on more. The only negative is they tend to bleed some but it's no biggie really. They are super comfy and look nice IMO. I got the slim and they really aren't that slim, the boot cut were too wide for my liking.

6. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    I wear work boots everyday, I was hoping they weren't to tight around the boot. Good to hear, I'll update when I get my jeans in and have an opinion to share.

7. Gideons

Gideons Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Which color(s) did you get? I can't tell if the indigo (718) is like a solid black, or a dark blue with a little bit of a fade/pattern(more a classy jean)?

8. xICEMANx

xICEMANx Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2012
    I have both colors. The indigo is a dark blue and the dark wash is more of a lighter blue, almost faded. I like the dark wash better.

9. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    Personally, I usually prefer using a belt pouch whenever possible, but often prefer back-pocket carry with a clip when wearing my riding jacket or in winter when I wear a long parka that is like lifting a curtain when trying to access a belt sheath. I have way too much stuff in my front pocket that I access frequently to carry a knife there.

Unfortunately, knives that don't eat up my jeans with their clip seem too easy to slip out of my pocket when I'm climbing or crawling around work areas or doing work around a lot of bushes... or worrying about it working its way up and out when riding the motorcycle.

I wonder how long those leather patches will last from frequent washes. I almost wish there was a gator clip version of a pocket clip sometimes... which might suck, as I already don't like the feel of a pocket clip when actually cutting stuff.

10. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    1,000 amens. The knife's not eating your jeans, the clip is.

11. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    Fascinating. Giving up clips is as likely to happen as me picking up a random pile of feces in the woods and putting it in my pocket.

12. HOKIE_FAN

HOKIE_FAN

Aug 7, 2010
    [​IMG]

13. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    In my Expierence and opinion pocket clips serve a purpose but not for me

I’m very active and I can’t tell you how many good knives I’ve lost in this carry method

I wear suits and pocket clips wreck pants and you look stupid in a suit wearing a knife with a pocket clip

Let’s also face it ...pocket clips have become the number one thing that targets that someone has a knife cops in NY love them

I carry a gun everyday and truly live by the moto of muscle memory so I carry a fixed or folder in the same place weak side in front of my hip

If it’s a folder it’s in a horizontal pouch such as this

[​IMG]

They blend into my belt line and make them very accessible and no damage to clothing

14. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    If a clip becomes troublesome, I'll just stop carrying the knife or take the clip off. I have carried knives "in" my pocket since I was a kid and it is not a big inconvenience for me. I don't generally choose really large clipped knives that couldn't be easily carried in my pocket. My clipped knife tends to be in a back pocket which is why it rubs on car seats. Another clipless knife is in a front pocket. Don't really need two knives (or three if you count the Ps4 Squirt), but I carry them because I want to and use them. If I reduce one knife, the back pocket knife gets left at home or in my vehicle.

15. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    I've watched your videos, I really liked that latest knife from sam lurquin. Damn, that is a beautiful knife!

I don't usually wear dress pants, suits or tuxedos. I can see how a pocket clip would be less than ideal for that kind of attire.

Concealing a fixed blade is illegal in my state or I would. That leaves me with folders or open carrying. A folder is more convenient for me. I find a pocket knife with a clip the easiest to access and put away. I wear jeans more than any other pant, although, I do wear overalls quite a bit. I cut a lot of trees down, do things around the farm, butcher animals, ice fish. At the house, camping, fishing, hunting I usually have my busse swatmandu or 1311. In town I mostly carry a folder clipped to my jeans. With keys, a wallet and a phone reaching in to the pocket to grab the knife is inconvenient. Pocket clips are extremely useful for me.

Edit to add: I did have a spyderco delica that was snagged out of my pocket by a sapling a few years ago.I tend to check throughout the day to make sure my knife is there, I too have a routine with where my knife is carried and in what orientation. Since loosing that first knife I have become more vigilant and not lost another to pocket snagging.

(I ended up finding the delicate in the snow)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Insipid Moniker likes this.
  16. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006

This is how I carry fixed blades and yes it’s open carry and no one seems to care suit or jeans :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can remember once having a Spyderco POLICe in my pocket with a clip

I jumped on a snowmobile and went for a little run .... when I got off the knife was gone

Really bummed me out

Last time I used a clip was on a folder I wore in waste ban while I was in Disney :)

17. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    I can dig it, a good sheath makes all the difference. If I could carry a fixed blade every where I would, hell I want to. It gets complicated if coats and what not are worn over it. And more often then not I chose the knife that will draw less attention when in town and not put me in a legal gray area, which is a clipped folder for me.

Your lucky to get to carry the way you do, I would love to do that.

18. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    Side-tracked anecdote...

When I was younger, I was with a group of Americans touring through the New Zealand forests with a New Zealander guide who kept telling these tall tales. After awhile, we just stopped believing any of his stories as we kept hiking through that beautiful land.

Seeing that we were now unimpressed with his tales, he sees some dried goat dung on the ground, picks it up, puts it in his mouth, than says how he can tell something (more BS I don't remember) by the taste of the goat dung. Everyone ignored his remarks, thinking he was just chewing on a piece of bark and kept walking... Later, I heard him privately talking with his partner about how he could not get the taste of goat dung out of his mouth...

And now back to your regularly scheduled program...