Knives lose sharpness just sitting

I guess that means you don't save unused razors or razor blades for years without using them....

I suspect that technically the reduction in sharpness is correct with atmospheric exposure. On a practical basis, I doubt it matters much.

So this is what's really going on when people complain about certain "plastic" sheaths dulling blades without use :rolleyes:

I think I'll make a thread in Gadgets & Gear (or perhaps PracTac) about how muzzle velocity is highest when shooting rounds that were reloaded within the last hour. If you let a round sit for 24 hours +, the muzzle velocity will be halved! :)

"I saw this on a gun forum", yeah, those guys should stick to what they know and maybe not attempt to speak authoritatively on things they clearly know very little about.

I don't drive one of my cars much, are my tires going to wear out? :eek: (I know they will go flat eventually, but wear out?) ;)

Edge gremlins. I make a sachet of herbs and berries that will repel them. I make house calls at 48 hours notice. Fly me first class only, put me up in 4☆ hotel, seven night stay to complete the ritual, and I guarantee your knives will never go dull in storage. My fee is payable in $US, but a 10% discount for gold bullion, -10% discount for beef bouillon.

Zieg

"I saw this on a gun forum", yeah, those guys should stick to what they know and maybe not attempt to speak authoritatively on things they clearly know very little about.
Well before you say that; let's audit the firearms knowledge too. We could be in broken clock territory.

It's an Australian spot I'd guess from the cities where the shows were.

I think I'll make a thread in Gadgets & Gear (or perhaps PracTac) about how muzzle velocity is highest when shooting rounds that were reloaded within the last hour. If you let a round sit for 24 hours +, the muzzle velocity will be halved! :)

Does this mean that if I get shot with a round from a 50 year old box of .38's, that it will bounce off my chest like superman?:eek:

Well before you say that; let's audit the firearms knowledge too. We could be in broken clock territory.

It's an Australian spot I'd guess from the cities where the shows were.
Mayhaps unused knives only dull in the southern hemisphere. The become sharper ( by half again as much) in the northern hemisphere.

Hate to get tangled up with all you jokers, but I suspect there is some truth to this idea.

I know that my 1095 kitchen knife doesn't hold a "very sharp" edge long, and I can see rust on the edge. My stainless 440C chef's knife doesn't have this problem.

Also, my EDC is a Rukus 610 in Vanax SC, which is virtually impervious to rust; and it seems to hold a very sharp, edge longer than the replaced S30V blade. But it also holds an edge better in ordinary use, so it's difficult to tease out the variables.

Intuitively, there seems to be some corrosion effect on sharpness, but it's difficult to quantify. The razor guy did, but I'm still agnostic on the BESS systems.

Mayhaps unused knives only dull in the southern hemisphere. The become sharper ( by half again as much) in the northern hemisphere.

But then is there a difference if you left a freshly sharpened knife on the plains of Kenya and one identical knife on the Pampas of Argentina? Both are Southern Hemisphere, but on opposite sides of the world.

Inquiring minds need to know.

The edge of my EDC becomes half as sharp after around 6 months of use.

This is utter horse hockey.

I read once that if you reach the theoretical limit for sharpness in a steel blade, the atoms at the edge will shift to a less stressed, lower energy conformation which will result in an edge that is no longer perfectly straight. However, I think this is not something any of us are going to be affected by in practice. I like a 220 grit edge for most users.

Back