Knives lose sharpness just sitting

Edge gremlins. I make a sachet of herbs and berries that will repel them. I make house calls at 48 hours notice. Fly me first class only, put me up in 4☆ hotel, seven night stay to complete the ritual, and I guarantee your knives will never go dull in storage. My fee is payable in $US, but a 10% discount for gold bullion, -10% discount for beef bouillon.

Zieg
F&F or G&S? Net to you?

I checked some of my old (1970s) carbon steel Schrade pocketknives that have been sitting in a drawer for literally decades. I don't know if there was any undetectable microscopic edge deterioration, but they're still very sharp.

I haven't noticed edge degradation from just sitting around in any of my other knives that I've checked.

Jim

So all knives shipped out on vendors shelves are getting duller by the minute? I dont know about that.

Although in a scientific way this may be true on a miniscule level I don't think it would be any noticable difference in a knife ...

but I will say I feel just a little bit duller after reading the thread ...

I checked some of my old (1970s) carbon steel Schrade pocketknives that have been sitting in a drawer for literally decades. I don't know if there was any undetectable microscopic edge deterioration, but they're still very sharp.

I haven't noticed edge degradation from just sitting around in any of my other knives that I've checked.

Jim

Was there black socks in that drawer?

Lol. Hilarious!

I have knives AND carbon steel razors that sit for a loooooong time after a honing session that keep the same keen edge while just “sitting” there.
Never had a problem, and I have over 100 straight razors in my collection, as well as a bunch of knives (traditional carbon steel ones and stainless steel ones).

Hate to get tangled up with all you jokers, but I suspect there is some truth to this idea.

I know that my 1095 kitchen knife doesn't hold a "very sharp" edge long, and I can see rust on the edge. My stainless 440C chef's knife doesn't have this problem.

Also, my EDC is a Rukus 610 in Vanax SC, which is virtually impervious to rust; and it seems to hold a very sharp, edge longer than the replaced S30V blade. But it also holds an edge better in ordinary use, so it's difficult to tease out the variables.

Intuitively, there seems to be some corrosion effect on sharpness, but it's difficult to quantify. The razor guy did, but I'm still agnostic on the BESS systems.
Love to see pics of the a Rukus (my all time favorite Benchmade).

I read once that if you reach the theoretical limit for sharpness in a steel blade, the atoms at the edge will shift to a less stressed, lower energy conformation which will result in an edge that is no longer perfectly straight. However, I think this is not something any of us are going to be affected by in practice. I like a 220 grit edge for most users.
Only on edges used to split atomic particles.

Page three.. reckon I'm a little late with these face-protecting oven mitts, sorry folks.

And the knife forum says when you dial is a scope it becomes half as accurate on your firearm after 24 hours... something to do with gravity and the pull of the moon.

I have knives AND carbon steel razors that sit for a loooooong time after a honing session that keep the same keen edge while just “sitting” there.
Does this qualify as a "looooooooooooooooooong time"...
mk4Hcr7.gif

https://www.beyondsciencetv.com/2017/06/01/goujian-the-ancient-chinese-sword-that-defied-time/

;) Luckily , the effect is reversed if you store your blades inside a pyramid . If fact , dull ones become sharp ! :eek::rolleyes:

Enough psudoscience!

We all know that for it to work not only do they have to be inside a pyramid but also facing magnetic north!

Hate to get tangled up with all you jokers, but I suspect there is some truth to this idea.

I know that my 1095 kitchen knife doesn't hold a "very sharp" edge long, and I can see rust on the edge. My stainless 440C chef's knife doesn't have this problem.

Also, my EDC is a Rukus 610 in Vanax SC, which is virtually impervious to rust; and it seems to hold a very sharp, edge longer than the replaced S30V blade. But it also holds an edge better in ordinary use, so it's difficult to tease out the variables.

Intuitively, there seems to be some corrosion effect on sharpness, but it's difficult to quantify. The razor guy did, but I'm still agnostic on the BESS systems.
I thought I saw in the OPs post that the dulling of the blade while idle was explicitly not due to corrosion but some magical properties. I think the reality is that corrosion and thermal property changes might effect the edge's exact sharpness. This all still has no effect on the practical use and cutting that anyone would notice.

They need to start putting expiration dates on blade shavers then. I guess that's why those single blade Bic's I bought one time didn't shave near as well as my triple bladed Gilletts. They were just older.

Back