Knives with Pocket Clips always getting lost

I tend to carry a lot of traditional pocket knives, but I really like the idea of a one handed open, that's easy to get to with a pocket clip. However, no mater what knife I carry with a pocket clip, it seams to get brushed off of me and lost. Sometimes I don't realize until hours later that its not there anymore.

I have this happen with some cheaper Gerbers, but also with my Benchmade Mini-Grip. Am I the only one this happens to? DO you guys have any recommendations on how to avoid the problem?

thanks

However, no mater what knife I carry with a pocket clip, it seams to get brushed off of me and lost. Sometimes I don't realize until hours later that its not there anymore.

I have been carring knives with pocket clips since they came out and I can
count how many have been lost on one hand.

What you need to do is stand back and look as to why you are losing them?
What are you doing?

Most of mine have been because of seat belts and going thru brush.
Now I do a simple check to make sure the belt did not grab it
and when going in brush, I un clip and shove it in the pocket

Carrying to much junk in primary knife pocket.
Reach in for something and it gets bumped out

Put the junk in the other pocket

The clips themselves might not be snug enough. If that's the case just give them a little bend to make them tighter.

I have had knives come off but never lost any. Seat belts and furniture or odd things you get close to are usually the culprit.

Bend the pocket clip so it has more retention. I do that on all of my knives so they don't come out unless I want them too :thumbup:

I haven't lost many knives (knock on wood), and the folders I've lost have been traditionals carried loose in my pockets. Pocket clips have worked well for me so far, I've had one or two get caught on something while walikng around tight spaces, only one bent badly. Anyway, whenever possible, I carry my knives (the ones without a clip) in a pocket that has some sort of zipper, velcro or button. If I'm engaging in any activity that might involve bouncing around a lot, like cross country horseback riding, I add a tether to my knife and keep it tied to my belt.

20140125_114425.jpg

I can't tell you the last time I clipped a knife to my pocket. I tend to take off all pocket clips and just keep them in my pocket. I used pocket clips at one time but all they did was chew up my pants. It is either pocket carry or buy a sheath and belt carry. I prefer pocket carry.

The only ones I've lost were when the clip snagged on something and bent it loose. I have ruined several tshirts when they snag on the clip.

I've had the opposite happen.
I've lost traditionals from them sliding out of pocket, but I've never lost a clipped knife from the pocket.

I did loose a Sebenza once for a few hours from a cord on my jacket pulling it out when I took it off. Found it when I put the jacket back on, and I'm pretty sure that's the only time I've almost lost a clipped knife.

^^^ +1 to this.

I have lost unclipped knives when I sit. They just slip right out of the pocket. Have had good luck with clips so far.

I've never lost a knife (yet! knock on wood...), and I only do pocket-clipped carry. I have had the clips snag on things a couple times, but I always notice immediately. I don't think I'm doing anything particularly special, and I'm not exceptionally aware of my surroundings, so I'm not sure what I could suggest to you. Perhaps take off your pocket clips and bend them a bit to add more retention as suggested above, or be careful when you're entering a situation where your clip might snag on something (tight spaces, underbrush, cars, etc. Also, I find it's easier to keep track of your knives if they're in a front pocket, as any jostling of the knife should be easier to feel than in a loose back pocket.

If I'm wearing a pocket clipped knife, I make sure the pocket clip is as tight as I can get it, but still be functional. Don't want it so tight I give myself a wedgie trying to deploy the knife. Lol.

Also, if I'm going to an area where I know there will be brush and what not, I may use the lanyard hole to loop a leather thong on my belt.

If you find that the car seat may be causing them to slip out, maybe get into the habit of dropping the knife into the cup holder or something when you get in.

The poster above had it - you'll need to identify what particular activity is causing it.

How do people "brush into" things in such a way that their knife gets lost? :confused:
Do they regularly bump into walls, shrubs, boxes and everything else?
I just don't understand how it happens.

I've never lost a clipped knife before...... A traditional however has been lost.

I got tired of the clips snagging on stuff so I just don't use them anymore. The only clip that's worked for me is the one on my flashlight and it works because the clip snaps on to the body. So when it gets snagged the clip pops off and the light falls to the bottom of my pocket.

I got tired of the clips snagging on stuff so I just don't use them anymore.

But what stuff were you getting snagged on?
Seriously, it's an actual question, as in all the years I have carried knives with clips, they have not gotten snagged on anything.
Was it crawling under cars doing repairs?
Some sort of activity at work?
What sort of activities seem to engender this snagging?

I lost my ritter grip for a couple of days. Turns out that it got hooked onto the cyclone fence that we housed our rabbits in. I was cleaning their cage and brushed up against it. But yes, large torso combined with working in confined spaces.

I lost my ritter grip for a couple of days. Turns out that it got hooked onto the cyclone fence that we housed our rabbits in. I was cleaning their cage and brushed up against it. But yes, large torso combined with working in confined spaces.

Ah, okay.
Fences and enclosed spaces do seem like the sort of factors that could do such a thing.

I have the opposite where in the pocket's tend to fall out while my clipped stay on.

How do people "brush into" things in such a way that their knife gets lost? :confused:
Do they regularly bump into walls, shrubs, boxes and everything else?
I just don't understand how it happens.
in my case I tend to literally cut corners, I don't always go all the way around a work bench or countertop. I work in a lot of kitchens and my pockets are roughly the same height as most countertops. I will "bounce" off a counter and bend the clip then lose it later when it slips out.

Back