Knock-Off, Counterfeit, Fake Bucks & The Americans Who Sell Them

Please note: This sticky/permanent thread is a worldwide resource for buyers and sellers where they can view photos of, known and recognized by Buck experts, fake and counterfeit knives. Please post only photos of known fakes/counterfeits and where in the USA they are being sold from. The intent is to enable anyone anywhere to be able to come here and at a glance tell if they have a fake/counterfeit or not.

Sellers & fakes are also identified quickly & compactly here without debate:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1249369-Fake-Counterfeit-Knockoff-Buck-Knives-amp-Americans-Who-Sell-Them

If you want to debate fakes and counterfeits please post to the general Buck forum where your debate will receive the attention it deserves. Thank you kindly.

This fake/counterfeit knife is being sold on AMZ right now, 05 19 2014:

kgrhqnhjewffywwsnubbrd1.jpg

And another one from the same New York vendor:

t2ec16dqe9s3hf4dqbrd15n.jpg

I see no tang stamp on either knife. Buck knives always have tang stamps. If no tang stamp then not a Buck knife. Reasonable logic?

BTW: Drop the key words "Buck knife" into the search box of the auction site for yourself and see the fakes. I did this and got 140 fakes out of a page of 200 knives = 70% fake/counterfeit!

This thread is dedicated to Dave Hawthorne (California Dave), may he rest in peace.

Last edited:

That's unfortunate; they even copied the box. Looking at the buck website: the "engraving" is wrong, the pommel is supposed to be brass, the choil looks like it's supposed to be bigger, and the blade looks slightly different (close but the tip isn't quite right).

Edited to add: I checked a famous knockoff import site and they have the exact same design as the two you just showed (minus the boxes). Yep, fake.

-StaTiK-

Thank you kindly Plumb. The vendor has a link to this thread. They were interested in knowing its authenticity. Like many vendors before them they said that their inventory was bot from a dealer who said that they were Buck knives.

Do you think that this format for discussing counterfeits moves us forward, is interesting enough for the forum, helps vendors, informs the public or is so distasteful that it doesn't belong here? I would like to see a killer application to crush counterfeits.

Thank you kindly StaTik. Good and thorough analysis.

The seller has ended both auctions and thanks this forum for their help.

I see these fakes being offered by foreign sellers and I cringe. But when US sellers vend the same items I think "why do this to a terrific US business?"

I personally think it's a good idea. If you have somewhere to refer those cluless sellers to, they may finally be convinced that what they are selling is counterfeit.

Too often, they won't take my word over their "supplier".

Do you think that this format for discussing counterfeits moves us forward, is interesting enough for the forum, helps vendors, informs the public or is so distasteful that it doesn't belong here? I would like to see a killer application to crush counterfeits.

I'm not Plumb but I think it's very important to publicly identify the fakes. Not only is someone getting hosed, but a bad fake tarnishes the reputation of the legitimate manufacturer. For example imagine buying this "Buck", realizing that it's a piece of crap, and then proceed to say so every time someone asks your opinion about Buck Knives. Many, many people consider the Buck Vanguard to be the very best deer hunting knife made... but yours (fake) would have been crap.

I'm also a cynic in that I think most of the vendors know exactly what they're selling. Maybe not the guy in Nebraska selling his used pocket knife with a feedback score of 30, but definitely the guy buying in bulk and running a side business on an auction site; he didn't accidentally buy 100 US-made knives from China.
-StaTiK-

I personally think it's a good idea. If you have somewhere to refer those cluless sellers to, they may finally be convinced that what they are selling is counterfeit.

Too often, they won't take my word over their "supplier".

OK. Let us try this here. Seller's of fakes, IMHO, are usually defensive with me as well.

I'm not Plumb but I think it's very important to publicly identify the fakes. Not only is someone getting hosed, but a bad fake tarnishes the reputation of the legitimate manufacturer. For example imagine buying this "Buck", realizing that it's a piece of crap, and then proceed to say so every time someone asks your opinion about Buck Knives. Many, many people consider the Buck Vanguard to be the very best deer hunting knife made... but yours (fake) would have been crap.

I'm also a cynic in that I think most of the vendors know exactly what they're selling. Maybe not the guy in Nebraska selling his used pocket knife with a feedback score of 30, but definitely the guy buying in bulk and running a side business on an auction site; he didn't accidentally buy 100 US-made knives from China.
-StaTiK-

All right then. Here is another, this time out of Las Vegas, Nevada (both have no tang stamp):

"Buck Skinner"
t2ec16vhjhie9nysef5ybrd.jpg

"Buck knife round blade"
kgrhqrqwfeyksnuo6broybl.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you kindly StaTik. Good and thorough analysis.

The seller has ended both auctions and thanks this forum for their help.

I see these fakes being offered by foreign sellers and I cringe. But when US sellers vend the same items I think "why do this to a terrific US business?"

The fact that this seller ended his auctions is a good point. By having a discussion on a forum that validates the fakes to reference them to. I don't personally think that all of the vendors know they have fakes. A case in point is my local pawn shop. A while back he had a 119 under the glass and when I was looking it over he said" that's one of the good ones when they were made here". I had a little discussion with him and set him strait on the issue, and he thanked me.

It might be interesting to be able to find out where some of these vendors are acquiring these fakes. Are they picking them up online? Is there a distribution chain that exists domestically, with catalogs and salespeaple? The fact that they took the time to copy the boxes and brazenly use Buck logos on the sheaths etc. tell that they are making big numbers of these things. They have to be marketing and distributing them in some fashion.

The fact that this seller ended his auctions is a good point. By having a discussion on a forum that validates the fakes to reference them to. I don't personally think that all of the vendors know they have fakes. A case in point is my local pawn shop. A while back he had a 119 under the glass and when I was looking it over he said" that's one of the good ones when they were made here". I had a little discussion with him and set him strait on the issue, and he thanked me.

It might be interesting to be able to find out where some of these vendors are acquiring these fakes. Are they picking them up online? Is there a distribution chain that exists domestically, with catalogs and salespeaple? The fact that they took the time to copy the boxes and brazenly use Buck logos on the sheaths etc. tell that they are making big numbers of these things. They have to be marketing and distributing them in some fashion.

There is a digital catalog that is e-mailed to me fairly regularly. That's where the pictures of the two fakes that I show in the first post came from. I don't know how I came to be on their e-mail list and I've never ordered from there. I should try it sometime just for giggles.

This is from their website. I've removed the web address so I don't get beat up for deal spotting. I find the part I highlited in red interesting. I wonder if it means you could send them a real Buck knife of some kind and they would reproduce/counterfeit it for you????

ABOUT US

Found in 2002, Outdoor Survival Tools, located in Yangjiang city, Guangdong Province, China ,which is famous as "knife city". we have been developing and manufacturing multifarious of knives, sword, multi-purpose pincers, scissors, manicure and make-up set, kitchenware, house ware, and gardening tools as well as other hardware tools.

OUR SERVICE

1. R&D — We create at least five new products according to the market popularity each month to meet various request.

2. OEM and ODM — We accept OEM and ODM orders.We could produce according to your sample, draft or idea.

3. Online Sales and Wholesale — we start online business since 2002, we are the earliest and largest knives Website in China. Our knives enjoy great reputation in China market. In order to meet the increasing request of oversea customers, XXXXXXX.COM is created. Take the advantage of low cost and our marketing experience, XXXXXXX.COM will show you some high-quality products with extremely good price which are especially popular for oversea market. We will offer even favorable price for wholesale order.

Welcome to contact.

Thanks Dave, I wonder if Customs could be involved to intercept shipments from vendors such as these. They must have a way to flag known counterfeiters shipments in place?

I can't believe all the various counterfeits on a certain auction site. When it comes to higher end knives I only buy from reputable dealers. Now we gotta worry about bucks too. What's next, opinels? :rolleyes:

ETA: Come to think of it I have spotted the opinel keychain models being sold by chinese sellers, I'm sure those are the genuine article, yeah. :\

It annoys the f..k out of me when i have to scroll through about 80% of fakes/counterfeits buck listings on the bay before i see a real buck !

They get listed everyfew minutes theres thousands

It annoys the f..k out of me when i have to scroll through about 80% of fakes/counterfeits buck listings on the bay before i see a real buck !

They get listed everyfew minutes theres thousands

Limit your search to "US Only" and the numbers will diminish dramatically. That's what I do.

The fact that they took the time to copy the boxes and brazenly use Buck logos on the sheaths etc. tell that they are making big numbers of these things. They have to be marketing and distributing them in some fashion.

Now that I think about it a bit more I'm guessing that the photos with the boxes might just be file photos taken by the fake manufacturer. Take a photo of a fake knife next to a real box, then ship it in generic white boxes. Maybe? Of course, if they can copy a knife (sometimes very well) then there's no reason they can't copy a box too.
-StaTiK-

ETA: Come to think of it I have spotted the opinel keychain models being sold by chinese sellers, I'm sure those are the genuine article, yeah. :\

I've definitely come across what looks to be decent Victorinox clones. From a photo they actually looked legitimate, although from a less than reputable international source. The prices were actually similar to genuine prices too so they might have been real, but why take the chance?
-StaTiK-

Now that I think about it a bit more I'm guessing that the photos with the boxes might just be file photos taken by the fake manufacturer. Take a photo of a fake knife next to a real box, then ship it in generic white boxes. Maybe? Of course, if they can copy a knife (sometimes very well) then there's no reason they can't copy a box too.
-StaTiK-

They copy the boxes too. I have a small collection of fakes and only one came in a white generic box. All the rest came in counterfeited boxes just like the real one. The only thing that I've found is that they never have the end label with model number, bar code, etc.

I've definitely come across what looks to be decent Victorinox clones. From a photo they actually looked legitimate, although from a less than reputable international source. The prices were actually similar to genuine prices too so they might have been real, but why take the chance?
-StaTiK-

The web site I'm talking about also has some Bucks that might or not be real. Since the real ones are made in China, how are you to know?

Back