Kukris?

The only kukri I own is a Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri, and I really like it. It's totally rock solid, I've batonned it through 6"+ logs without fear of bending or breaking anything. It's an excellent chopper/delimber, though because of its tall blade it isn't the best at batonning (though it will still get the job done). It's a bit heavy for backpacking with though, at almost 2 pounds.

I have from Himalayan imports, about the only place I'd get a kukri.

It's the 15" sirupati.

yep if you want a hand made item that has never seen a CNC and is not mass produced-- then do yourself a favor and pick up a HI blade.

I have a British issue M43. Love it for camping and brush clearing. It is fantastic for batoning.

Kukris good. Very popular, and very useful for anything from clearing brush to, you got it, killing and fighting. Look up the Gurkha. Great history lesson on what Kukris are good at. Look up the history of the Kukri.
They come from basic, aka Cold Steel Kukri Machete, to art quality. You could collect Kukris forever and never run out of new styles to buy.
Kukri are a significant historical blade.

I am actually a history freak I love history thats actually the reason I want one :D

I have a kukri. It was hammered out somewhere around Nepal in the 60's. It's pretty much the standard twelve-inch-or-so, with the traditional wood/goatskin scabbard and the auxiliary blade and sharpener.

I've kept it up, polished and sharp over the years, and enjoy it--displaying and fondling it anyway. It really doesn't get much use because I own so many other blades. It looks good on the wall though, which is pretty much where it has always resided--very quick access, ready to go into a belt.

Are you buying for a specific use or just like the kukri look?

Both I guess I want to use it but I also really like the look

I hope you get one then. There have been 3 or 4 threads in here over the last month or so on khukuris with some pretty good info for you. You might try the search function as you have time. IMO there are a couple of good American made's out there. But not many.

Only thing I can tell you for sure is..."khukuri" can be a big word. A lot of variation in style, shape and concept. Were I you I'd stick close to the original design. There is a lot of history of the design out there that might be of interest to you--probably as colorful a history as any blade.​

Also, there are a couple of importers you will probably want to buy from if you decide to go for a Nepalese blade. There are a number of knowledgeable people here who will probably reply soon. They can give you all the advice you need I'm sure.

IMO there are a couple of good American made's out there. But not many.
I have one of those good American made ones. :)

Jason Knight MS, Knifemaker
Paul Long, Leather

standard.jpg

Doug

I have one of those good American made ones. :)

Jason Knight MS, Knifemaker
Paul Long, Leather

standard.jpg

Doug

You sure do. That's the second one like that I've seen this week...w/ the wide fuller. I like it. Great sheath. I'm a gator guy.

What, no kauda??

Well, mine is no where near as nice as Doug C's Knight Khukri, but I have a CS magnum machete, and a Busse KillaZilla II.

I do like Khukri's.

Kukris have become a passion of mine. I just got my fourth one in six months. Great choppers. Get them from H.I. You won't regret it.

I have a few, though some of these now belong to others, and yes I like them:)
ToraMkII2-1002_zpsf10780e6.jpg

CSGurkha006_zpsa78d7b2c.jpg

torareggie002_zpsad25382c.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

Khuks10-9-2010004.jpg

WWIIPalmTree006.jpg

AircrewandMkIII005.jpg

M-43andB-43001.jpg

Altered khuk (end was too soft).
Torang003_zps0c0c3edf.jpg

Those are very nice also off topic but how did you post those attachments i can only do photobucket please help

Those are very nice also off topic but how did you post those attachments i can only do photobucket please help

I use PB also. Just click "links". Then click on the direct link. That link can be pasted in your message here by clicking on the small picture icon in the message editor here on BF. There should be a thread on this somewhere, but it's simple once you figure it out. Good luck.

Back