kydex help please

The biggest problem I had with my first and only sheath so far is the kydex cools off too quick and doesnt want to stretch in the deep spots for that proffesional look. Why couldnt one make a press that can have a heat element and a thermostat. Load everything cold and close the top. Turn it on and pour a cup of coffee while it forms the kydex. Or have a pipe leading to the area in an enclosed box type press with a heat gun attached and a thermometer probed in to monitor. Of course the foam may be destroyed from the heat. But is there something besides foam that would withstand the heat? Is there high heat foam? I could go on and on. Bruce

The biggest problem I had with my first and only sheath so far is the kydex cools off too quick and doesnt want to stretch in the deep spots for that proffesional look. Why couldnt one make a press that can have a heat element and a thermostat. Load everything cold and close the top. Turn it on and pour a cup of coffee while it forms the kydex. Or have a pipe leading to the area in an enclosed box type press with a heat gun attached and a thermometer probed in to monitor. Of course the foam may be destroyed from the heat. But is there something besides foam that would withstand the heat? Is there high heat foam? I could go on and on. Bruce

Jim...

The thicker the foam,, up to a certian point the better... I use 2-3 inches of foam both side...

With more foam you need more pressure though...

The sprat adhesive is to laminate the layers of foam yes...

Bruce....

The heating element press you talked about is Not needed...

You have 2 problems...

You aren't heating enough, and you need to get it in the press faster...
I stopped using the oven.. It's not needed...

I heat about 12 inches from my press, and have it heated and in the press under 30 seconds,, give or take some minor adjustments.

Even when I was using the oven, It would be in the press under a min from upstairs...That was a pain!
Get a toaster oven,,a bigger one,,but shiel the plastic from the elements with some scrap sheet metal.
You don't need direct heat, ambient heat is fine,,although slower...
If you use a heat gun,,keep it moving,,even when doing small areas or it will get shiny..

ttyle Eric...

------------------
Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical
http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel
Custom made, High Quality
Concealex Sheaths and Tool Holsters
Canada's Only Custom Concealex Shop!

Hi guys,
Does anyone know of a site that shows a J hook and a snail shell and how it's attached. Most pics i've seen of sheaths show only the front. Any help is great.
Thanks!

------------------
~~TOM~~

Hi Shapa...

I should have some pictures up on my web site next week showing the "G" clip.

It's a very simple clip and is attached with Chicago screws..

Very easy to make...

Take a strip of concealex 2" X 8" long. On one end draw a line at 1/2". Take a piece of plywood as thick as the belt you want to use and about 2.25" wide.

Heat the concalex strip only on one end. Fold it around the plywood at the 1/2" mark. Let cool. You now have a J hook of sorts.
Heat the strip again and fold it over the wood again completeing the loop. Now you have a "G" or Snail clip.

Hope that helps...

ttyle Eric...

------------------
Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical

Normark,
Thanks for the detailed description. I also look foward to actually seeing them.
Again Thanks,

------------------
~~TOM~~

Shappa...

No problem..Glad to help..

ttyle Eric...

------------------
Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical

Lots of great answers but I am still wondering about another supplier for Chicago Screws. I know they have been used for quite sometime on leather shoulder holster rigs. It’s not that blade-tecs prices are to high but I am just wondering about more options and possibly buying bulk to save some cash.

------------------
The warrior will endure great personal hardship in order to stand on a hill, howl at the moon, and proclaim his domain over all he surveys. Fredrick Lovert- Author

DT...

Any decent fastener supply has them.
Hell if I can find them in Canada,, you shouldn't have a problem at all...

ttyle Eric...

------------------
Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical

Great advice on working with Kydex and Concealex! I've been looking for this info for a long time. And, I have another question for the knowledgable folks here. What process do you use for the final finishing polish on the edges of your sheaths? I'm looking for a nice glossy professional finish and would like to eliminate as much "trial and error" as possible. Thanks.

Sgt....

Hand sand with fine,, finish up with some 400 if you need it,,then Scotchbright...

Don't rub hard or it will ball up on you...

Hope that helped...

Eric...

------------------
Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical

Back