Let’s see some Bark River knives!

bvFp0zc

Come on all you Bark River fans. Let’s see some edged art.

Nope. The knives are fine, some even very nice. You know the history ? Then you probably see why there are tons of reasons to dislike Mike. As i have the choice to buy from great persons, I prefer to do so and forget about BRK. But please enjoy, I shouldn't have started with the negativity in the first place.

Last edited:
Yep. I know the history for sure; both sides... And you? Both sides? Continue to buy from "great persons" I will too... And regardless of one's opinion on Mike - his shop puts out superb knives for the money; 'nuff said.

Michaux

... his shop puts out superb knives for the money; 'nuff said.

Michaux

'nuff said for you. You are certainly free to ignore his long, well-documented history of shady dealings, the recalls, the physics- and geometry-defying claims he makes about his products, his Randall "tributes," the cult-like world of the fundamentalist Barkites that used to exist, etc etc etc.

That's fine. Many feel that the character of a maker does not need to be taken into account.

But many do, and we are all here to inform.

And besides, if one of his knives edges rolls it's because of "user error."

I own three Bark River branded knives and a few Blackjack classics made by Bark River. Below is the Wilderness Explorer model. I like the knife but at times it feels a little big for my woods wanderings with its 5.75 inch blade. This picture was taken when it was new and it is not used much since I have sort of turned to the Kephart style knives for most of my woods wanderings.
DSC03469 BRKT Wilderness Explorer2.jpg
Below is my BRKT Mini Kephart that I like a lot in 3V with the Condor Compact Kephart. The mini is small enough to carry as an edc if I choose to. It in fact is my favorite Barkie.
DSC08945ed.jpg

And Yes, I know the Mike Stewart saga. I have no plans to buy any more, but the Mini Kephart was a quick decision for a smaller but functional Kephart style knife.

Last edited:
Yep. I know the history for sure; both sides... And you? Both sides? Continue to buy from "great persons" I will too... And regardless of one's opinion on Mike - his shop puts out superb knives for the money; 'nuff said.
Michaux
Both sides and even inside. It's sad. So your Nuff said looks pretty short but if it works for you... Keep on trucking. And you might drop the apostrophes about great people. It reads ironic and this is definitely out of place. When I say that I know what I'm saying. Be straight with caring only about nothing else than the knives. It's OK. You're not alone in that boat. And I know the BRK knives are fine, I said so, with reason, I own four : they are good knives. Nuff said.

So that's your story.... Okay. I'll accept that; You don't appreciate the knives BRK's puts out because of the above... I'd suggest you don't know the complete story... but then that's just me... but please don't suggest that Mike Stewart and BRK's don't put out outstanding knifes for the money. Don't buy'um 'cause you hate the man behind the knives.... understand... But I'd suggest that you're wrong on that. BRK's makes superb knives for the dollar. My opinion only; you guys are missing out...

I like their handle options quite a lot. You aren't stuck with your basic micarta or similar. I however do not find them cheap. I think they are priced to max out the market for a given knife and handle.

And Yes, I know the Mike Stewart saga. I have no plans to buy any more, but the Mini Kephart was a quick decision for a smaller but functional Kephart style knife.

I'm not trying to judge anyone for having one.

He CAN design a very good knife, and he CAN be a good guy. But eventually, and over and over and over things with him go pear-shaped.

For me it quickly became obvious that however well-designed a knife like the Fox River is (the one that got me interested years back), all that nonsense made the knives not worth buying and the people not enjoyable to be around.

... I'd suggest you don't know the complete story... but then that's just me... but please don't suggest that Mike Stewart and BRK's don't put out outstanding knifes for the money. Don't buy'um 'cause you hate the man behind the knives.... understand... But I'd suggest that you're wrong on that.

What you need to understand is that many people here have been around here (and other knife discussion forums) a long time.

And that many of us know a great deal about the knives and the personalities who built them.

But if you like the knives, great. But don't assume the folks who don't do so because they don't "know the complete story."

So don't buy...Not a problem. Others of us will buy the knives and enjoy them and the people who make them... 'cause they're that good...and Mike's not the demon others make him out to be. We all have our opinions on what actually went down years ago. Forget him....That's your choice. We BRK lovers won't... and continue to buy Bark River for the quality of their knives.

And so now I'll get banned? Who knows...

Michaux

You only made your point, intensively for sure, but why would you get banned ? Mike Stewart is a controversial figure for repeated good reasons (the history is huge...). I don't need that bad aftertaste when buying a knife. And the knives are good (there, I said it at least tree times !). Not stellar good but very honest good. You can love them all you want. I have no problem with you having a different stance on knife buying than mine. I made an honest effort at clarity, here, seriously...

I can't say I love BRKT knives. They're just knives that I have acquired over the years. I do like the variety of handles that are available.

I seldom "have plans" to buy a fixed blade. I get interested in a particular knife and sometimes I buy one. The BRKT Wilderness Explorer was supposed to be the last fixed blade for woods use I acquired. I thought I made a fairly measured decision on it in terms of it's size as I was looking for a 5.5" knife in more or less the vein of the BK-15 (but nicer). You learn after each purchase and using them.

Then I got interested in the kephart design.... So, the Mini Kephart was sort of a cross between what I consider a normal sized woods knife and an edc blade. Now I'm more interested in smaller knives fixed blades that I might edc. At some point, it will end, but the acquisitions have diminished in terms of volume. I just don't sell them, so they pile up.

Back