LETS ALL PREY FOR THOSE STUDENTS AND LAW ENFORCEMENT AND PARENTS, GOD BLESS..

My prayers as well to all those touched by this. There's not much I can say about these events that hasn't been said already. However, Yekim brings up a point that's been on my mind and heart in the past. Do we really want to bring children into this world, do we want to subject them to the misery and loss and desperation we're surrounded by every day. Our children are the future, and I think that it's precisely because of the state of our world that we need to bring them into it. Who else is going to change this mess? It has always taken strength and courage to live well and healthy, now more than ever with all the confusion abound. Our children are the key to pulling this off right.

I don't have any insight into this, words seem to escape me in the midst of this tragedy. May god help us all when our children aren't safe.

Hey guys.

It is indeed a sad day, my condolences to all involved.

Unfortunately I suspect that something like this will occur here in Australia soon. It seems that within a few months of an incident like this in the US or UK it happens here. The media in this country, rather than reporting what is nessecary to get the story across tend to wallow in false sympathy and give the misfists who do this kind of thing a strange kind of "celebrity" stauts. The result tends to spark a type of copy-cat effect.

Tightening gunlaws seems to me to be an easy way out for the politicians. Why easy?. Its very simple to pass legislation and then parade about pretending thet they have accomplished something.

What have the new laws accomplised down here?

After talking to a few local police the following seems to have occured:

1. A massive increase in semi-auto weapons onto the black market and their subsequent use in crimes.

2. An increase in fire-arms related crime and suicide.

3. The number of registered firearms has increased, but the type has changed.

I must agree with one of the earlier posters, if the only thing that comes of this is new legislation (whether its aimed at gun owners or just weapons in general - knives etc.) then it will be a "meaningless slaughter".

If it makes people sit up and take responsibilty for their actions and the responsibilities that come with their rights then in the long run some redemption may be obtained.

Andre

THIS IS WHAT GIVES GUNS A BAD NAME. I WAS IN A RESTRAUNT TODAY, AND OVER HEARD PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT THE LATEST INCODENT, THEY SAID THAT GUNS SCHOULD BE BANNED FROM THE U.S. THATS NOT RIGHT, JUST BEACUSE A SELECT FEW DO NOT LOCK UP THEIR GUNS OR KIDS GET GUNS AND GO SHOOT 15 PEOPLE, DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE REST SCHOULD SUFFER. IF THOES KIDS WERE STILL ALIVE, THEY SCHOULD BE SHOT IN THE ARM AND HUNG BY THEIR FOOT IN THE MIDDLE OF THEIR SCHOOL SO EVERYBODY COULD SPIT ON THEM. THIS MIGHT SOUND HARSH BUT IT WOULD TEACH OTHER THAT ARE THINKING OF DOING IT TO THINK TWICE. ON A LIGHTER NOTE, I FEEL EXTREMLY BAD FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE TOWN, AND GOD BLESS THEM!!!
-NAN-

Nan, turn the volume down, OK?

Whoever made the comment about such horrors not happening in other countries and the glorification of Billy the Kid:

This is by no means our problem alone. Someone pointed out an incident in South Africa; he wasn't talking about one in ten years, either. Britain has also had its share, as do South American countries. I don't know this firsthand, but I know there's a forumite on TFL from Brazil. Perhaps he could confirm, but from what I hear that place is truly violent, especially Rio de Janeiro and Brasilia. Of course, these countries do have violent heroes (Robin Hood, anyone?) but Norway and Sweden love their Vikings and you don't hear about this stuff much there. Japan is the land of the Samurai, perhaps the most admired and certainly among the most brutal warriors of all time, but they don't have anything worse than us (not much better for high profile though--remember the cult with Sarin in the subway?) Of course, Japan is also a fairly repressive police state. One of the NRA mags once reported that they had a 98% confession rate, because they use methods that would flagrantly violate the constitution and even English common law.

As for music, I'm starting to think it may play a role. But it can't be the only scapegoat, and as one person pointed out, if you blame music you can't single out rap. These kids were supposedly Goth anyway; I doubt they would have been listening to much rap.

PARENTS PARENTS PARENTS PARENTS
Teachers, society.

The importance should be obvious. That is of course only my humble opinion.

In the past days there has been much media coverage.
GWINNY...After watching a hour show on this Littleton thing, they said....
Music is not the cause just feeds the fire.
The US is currently 6 to 1 compared to other countries for this kind of crime.
The US is 200 to 1 for crimes committed with firearms compared to any other country.
The US has a 30% higher suicide rate among teens that any other country.
These crimes seem to be racial and socially underscored.
When it comes to anything here in the US, seems we just don't like to be outdone!!
The kids kept repeating about going out with a bang...
Parents seemed as normal as any?
DO we just have more bad seeds or is it our society???

Sorry I got carried away......Its just so strange....these things just didn't use to happen.

Back