Let's get the next build rolling

Some of us may be unsure how the snagging process works here?

The snagging process is pretty informal around here. With this one I'll put a sales thread up when the sheath is done if theres no takers beforehand. It'll be under three bills if that helps.

The snagging process is pretty informal around here. With this one I'll put a sales thread up when the sheath is done if theres no takers beforehand. It'll be under three bills if that helps.

Thanks John. Will pass on this one, but may have my eye on one of the others in post 157:). Gotta get me some cowbell!:thumbsup:

I completed the sheath, stitching came out perfect, the dye looked just right, really was a rich looking sheath until I wet formed it and realized that I screwed the pooch and had too much back and forth play with the blade. It was probably acceptable but that coupled with the fact that the sheath seemed bulky and overbuilt made me scrap the entire thing. A LOT of work down the drain but you gotta do what you gotta do. I'be got another design drawn up and cut out with a much slimmer design that I think is going to work out well. I'll keep you posted, I hope everyone is having a good start to the Christmas Season.

Save that sheath; someday, you'll be glad you did! It'll hang there, lonely, partnered with others, blades too, misfits all - then one day, the clouds will part, the angels will sing, and all the discarded parts will come together as one, or three, much like an ancient Greek computer recovered from the seafloor after eons, and you'll know, you'll see.

29comput650.jpg

^Poor pooch... :eek: ;) :p
Woof Woof!
browndog_1024x1024.jpg

I completed the sheath, stitching came out perfect, the dye looked just right, really was a rich looking sheath until I wet formed it and realized that I screwed the pooch and had too much back and forth play with the blade. It was probably acceptable but that coupled with the fact that the sheath seemed bulky and overbuilt made me scrap the entire thing. A LOT of work down the drain but you gotta do what you gotta do. I'be got another design drawn up and cut out with a much slimmer design that I think is going to work out well. I'll keep you posted, I hope everyone is having a good start to the Christmas Season.
Been there, done that.:D

Save that sheath; someday, you'll be glad you did! It'll hang there, lonely, partnered with others, blades too, misfits all - then one day, the clouds will part, the angels will sing, and all the discarded parts will come together as one, or three, much like an ancient Greek computer recovered from the seafloor after eons, and you'll know, you'll see.

View attachment 1249422

Funny you mention that Sheldon, I have a few scab knives and a few screwed up sheaths sitting in a drawer in my shop for the very same reason. One of the first sheaths I made I laid the template on the leather upside down, cut it all out tooled it, glues it and was about to start sewing it and then finally realized it was a left hand sheath. I kept that one hanging in my shop for quite a while and makes all of my sheath template this side up.lol

Fantastic, John!

How are you liking your round knife?? Looks great!
In hindsight, it's the first tool I should have bought/made when I started leather work. Push cutting leather is a much smoother process. It's the scariest damn knife design I've ever made though. Dealing with a normal knife is one thing, when you have two tips and an edge that points 180 degrees you gotta maneuver a lot differently! They drew some blood at first, they fight your muscle memory on the grinder.

Back