Let's go to the match(es)

Walking our dog in the local woods I found a match box from Japan, and I believe from Tokyo. It has to be old as it was very fragile, now in pieces, but the telephone number only had 4 digits (Tel: 2556) it says " Beer Holl" Kogiku Tel.2556 a half circle and a yellow star, then below it has the menu: Sukiyaki, Beef Steak and Fly Egg. I figure some kid took it out of his Dad's collection and dropped it when in the woods. John

N

ever thought of that

lePeQfE.jpg

LrVBeZ5.jpg

elnQFU4.jpg

Great idea:D Don't have matches to hand, or maybe none at all:eek: will root about tomorrow. But your pics reminded me of when I smoked, mainly pipe but if it were cigarettes I liked French ones: Gitanes Maís no filtre;) or these one that used to come from CCCP with long tubes, they reeked but tasted good.

iu
French tabac brun is some pretty rough stuff. I haven’t smoked in over 23 years, but I did smoke when I was in France and I would sometimes smoke Gitanes or Gauloises if that’s all I could get. For my fellow Americans - imagine cigarettes made of charcoal and barbed wire and you will get some idea of what these things feel like going down. Smoking unfiltered Camels is like smelling roses compared to smoking cigarettes brunes. I only ever knew one person who smoked Gitanes maïs and he was a very interesting character, to say the least.

I seem to remember something in the early 90’s about how the EU was going to regulate the diameter of cigarettes, which was going to make Gitanes skinnier. I remember people being really upset about it, but don’t know if it was true or just rumors.
ScK54zG.jpg

These are the only matches I could find in the house.

What a cool knife!!:) I like the (birds?) on the blade!!

Thanks Charlie, and I believe it is actually bamboo with leaves. This is an interesting art form of blade stamping or cyphered blades as called on some 19th century English cutlery. Garry Zalesky wrote an interesting article on English cyphered blades in Knife Magazine a few years back. Aside from the decorative blade stamping, there are Japanese characters stamped on both sides of the blade. I showed the knife to two different fellows who could read Japanese, and both thought that one side was the maker, "Kane' Haru" and the other side read "folded or wedge steel", a form of Damascus steel.

H herder That is some really impressive bone on that old Japanese knife, pity there aren't Japanese members who could enlighten us more about pre WW II pocket knives from there. Matchbox is an art too.

This country used to make a lot of matches, but with the decline in smoking & rise of chuck away lighters, most of it has disappeared. Moreover, if you want to buy matches or lighters in a supermarket, a sales type has to verify your age....:rolleyes: As for smoking stuff, it's ALL shuttered away from sight and you have ask for it clandestine style:eek: An old traditional Finnish cigarette were 'Työmies' literally Workman they came in a flat box of 25s not 20 unfiltered of courses;) but with a little wooden holder to put them in. Strong beyond belief:D

Great idea:D Don't have matches to hand, or maybe none at all:eek: will root about tomorrow. But your pics reminded me of when I smoked, mainly pipe but if it were cigarettes I liked French ones: Gitanes Maís no filtre;) or these one that used to come from CCCP with long tubes, they reeked but tasted good.

iu
My Grandma sewed fur coats for her living and worked very hard. She always had lots of expensive and heavy coats to work on. She also smoked Gitanes (though not corn-papered, they go out every minute or so) at a rather fair rate. She would take a fag out of the box and light it without stopping to look on the coat she was lining.
One day I replaced his pack by a tricky one. She opened it one hand and nearly had a heart attack when the false cigarette jumped out.
She had a strong Hungarian accent and that day I learned a few expletives I had never imagined she would know. :rolleyes::D
Allumettes_Gitanos.jpg

I've had cheap Russian cigarettes with tubes, but you used to be able to get 'Imperial Russian' Sobranie cigarettes here in the 70's, which had long tubes, and tasted good. A friend of mine was once smoking one on the bus (as you could smoke on them then), but he got thrown off because the conductor thought he was smoking a joint! :D :thumbsup:
Something like this maybe? :) I have also a tin box somewhere.
Allumettes_GB3.jpg

The puukko and matchsafe are always in my pack.

49705920877_662781755c_b.jpg
The white-tipped greens are reminiscent of English Parrot (?) brand (except they were red). My parents confiscated my boxes because they thought they were too dangerous for a teen-ager to play with. All I have left is one single Spanish wax strike-anywhere.

Allumettes_Es1.jpg

Last edited:
It’s funny how England’s Glory matches are made in Sweden, though.:oops:

Yes, indeed, apparently at one time, in Britain, 250,000,000 matches were used each day! :eek: I remember reading, some years ago, about how the Swedish match factories were closing, simply because the duty on disposable lighters, which was once charged in the UK, had been abolished :( I'm surprised I have so many boxes in the kitchen drawer actually, as I usually only buy Lifeboat matches for emergencies (I have SO many), use a ferro rod or flint and steel to light my campfires, and use a lighter in the house :rolleyes:

Zeu2lGh.jpg

Taken when she was still shiny and new.

12680620115_58b4102714_o.jpg

Such a fabulous knife Christian :thumbsup:

My Grandma sewed fur coats for her living and worked very hard. She always had lots of expensive and heavy coats to work on. She also smoked Gitanes (though not corn-papered, they go out every minute or so) at a rather fair rate. She would take a fag out of the box and light it without stopping to look on the coat she was lining.
One day I replace his pack by a tricky one. She opened it one hand and nearly had a heart attack when the false cigarette jumped out.
She had a strong Hungarian accent and that day I learned a few expletives I had never imagined she would know. :rolleyes::D
View attachment 1310789

Something like this maybe? :) I have also a tin box somewhere.
View attachment 1310791

The white-tipped greens are reminiscent of English Parrot (?) brand (except they were red). My parents confiscated my boxes because they thought they were too dangerous for a teen-ager to play with. All I have left is one single Spanish wax strike anywhere.

View attachment 1310792

Cool story Alain! :D I have always liked Sobranie tobacco, and even long after I quit cigarettes, I would sometimes buy a girlfriend some Black Russian cigarettes, so I could taste one :D The Imperial cigarettes were much longer though, because of the cardboard filter, with papers which were cream-coloured :) I have a box of wax-tipped matches somewhere, but I think they were brought back from Spain about 30 years ago! :D Here is my silver vesta case JP, it has a match-strike on the bottom :) I also have this Joseph Rodgers knife, on which matches can be struck, I really should take some better photos of it :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

SmrOzBR.jpg

UsQ4GPh.jpg

5kumeCd.jpg

French tabac brun is some pretty rough stuff. I haven’t smoked in over 23 years, but I did smoke when I was in France and I would sometimes smoke Gitanes or Gauloises if that’s all I could get. For my fellow Americans - imagine cigarettes made of charcoal and barbed wire and you will get some idea of what these things feel like going down. Smoking unfiltered Camels is like smelling roses compared to smoking cigarettes brunes. I only ever knew one person who smoked Gitanes maïs and he was a very interesting character, to say the least.

I seem to remember something in the early 90’s about how the EU was going to regulate the diameter of cigarettes, which was going to make Gitanes skinnier. I remember people being really upset about it, but don’t know if it was true or just rumors.
ScK54zG.jpg

These are the only matches I could find in the house.
Grandpa smoked Celtiques Bleues Maïs that were a good mm oversize and stronger than Gauloises.
12082.jpg

the advertising spoke by himself!
affiche Celtiques.jpg

Allumettes_Can1.jpg

When working on location, I was the only one to have a moveable desk with my gears on it , my swiss knife, cigarettes and matches. Once a guy loaned (for undetermined length in his mind) the England's Glory matchbox (it was less expensive then to ride to London and buy parts for the Norton than getting them in Paris, and I always brought N°6 and matches as well). When I asked them back he dropped it on the desk saying "Here's your England's Glops!".o_O
Allumettes_GB2.jpg

Back