1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's see some Damasteel

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by blanco112, Jun 12, 2018.

1. vactor

vactor Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Damasteel seems to be the equivalent of using MIM parts in a Wilson 1911. isn't the beauty of the CRK Damascus from Chad and others that it is made by masters of their craft and artistry that is designed by someone with knowledge and experience versus just being 'good and pretty'??

shqxk likes this.
  2. FourD

FourD Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2017
    It's entirely possible that Damasteel just works better with the ball end lock of the Inkosi. I don't think I've ever seen an Inkosi or an Umnumzaan with damascus before, but I could be mistaken. I'm wondering...

3. blanco112

blanco112 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Updated main post with a little info about the Damasteel.

Curl of the Burl likes this.
  4. UseitorLoseit

UseitorLoseit Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2016
    I'm not sure that's an appropriate analogy in this case. MIM parts are made to be cost effective and are usually considered "good enough" to perform the desired function. I don't think their purpose is to add to the visual appeal in any way. Your analogy could also imply that Damasteel is an underperforming or falsly labeled damascus steel. Neither of which are accurate.

blanco112, Lone_Wolfe and Wavicle like this.
  5. Blue Puma

Blue Puma Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 17, 2003
    MIM parts are not as bad as a people think, per se. Poorly sourced and speced parts are bad.

It is like the dispute among gun guys about forged vs billet. The fan blades in jet engines are forged, but some people get hung up on words.

All that being said, I certainly like the evident crafts man's skill of the perfect patterns. But I'll probably still get at least one (who am I kidding? I'll get a few!) of the new ones because I am full retard.

Lone_Wolfe likes this.
  6. sn0wman72

sn0wman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2017
    I thought this post was pretty interesting, a traditional Damascus/Damasteel comparison https://www.knifeart.com/damasteel.html There are some pretty cool looking Damasteel patterns, and it sounds like it would make a great knife blade

7. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 10, 2016
    -

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  8. Dullknivescut

Dullknivescut Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ah alright, great

9. shqxk

shqxk

Mar 26, 2012
    Damasteel lacks some nature appealing of damascus unlike Chad and Devin stuff. It is just looks too artificial for me.
    I know every damascus is artificial but Damasteel just seems to be at higher degree.

10. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    Are those Inkosi Damasteel limited or will be regular production?

11. VolGrad

VolGrad Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2010
    I feel the opposite. I've liked some of the regular Damascus patterns before but not enough to buy one for the premium they bring. This one just reached out at BLADE and grabbed my wallet. I couldn't resist.

12. expidia1

expidia1 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2018
    This is not a CRK blade, but its "Damasteel".
    Gold class Benchmade Foray that was deilvered to me just today.

I'm still in the market for a large Sebenza 21 with wood inlays and a Devin Thomas bold Raindrop pattern. I'm not a fan of the Chad Nichol's tighter pattern designs. I like bold and this BM Damasteel fits what I was looking for.
    Now that CRK may produce more blades in Damasteel, I might wait to fill the other 1/2 of my Grail. I'm liking the bold designs of the Damasteel. This Gold Class Foray just filled one half of my Grail :D

*Its still a factory edge. There is what looks like roughness on the edge towards the tip, but its just reflections.
    * That Benchmade logo looks pretty bold and ugly on the blade, but you can actually only see it when rotating the blade and viewing at a certain angle! The Flash highlighted it brightly though.

IMG_7614.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  13. expidia1

expidia1 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2018
  14. Blue Puma

Aug 17, 2003
    As far as I can tell, they just advertise that they use powdered metallurgy steels. Do the other suppliers of damascus steel to CRK say what steel they use?

15. blanco112

Nov 1, 2016
    That information is around but not generally advertised. If I recall correctly it's a blend of AEB-L and another in the Devin Thomas stainless. Not sure if the same for the Nichols.

16. Blue Puma

Aug 17, 2003
  17. blanco112

Nov 1, 2016
    Just to be clear, in case I misunderstood you the first time, Damasteel does disclose the steels they use. I noted the type used in CRK's in the OP.

18. Blue Puma

Aug 17, 2003
    Devin Thomas says which ones in their faq. Damasteel says what specific ones on their site.

I personally don't see the difference being that big a deal. Pick the pattern you like and go with it.

19. lemmuhj

lemmuhj Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2010
    Im loving the Damasteel! I just want to give CRK some HUGE credit for releasing these!

[​IMG]

20. blanco112

Nov 1, 2016
    Nice one! Looks great with the Millit clip.

lemmuhj likes this.