1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's see those 73s (and 72s)

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by tonystl, Jul 27, 2013.

1. tonystl

tonystl Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I got my first 73 over a year and a half ago and hated it. Thought it was too heavy. Thought the pull was too strong. So I sold it. And now I wish I hadn't.

About 9 months ago I ordered a yellow bone 73 jack. The pull was lighter and something changed and I liked the frame. The heft. Everything.

That one knife turned into 10 (with a few that have found new homes).

I did a search and couldn't find another show us your 73/72 thread so I made this one. I included the 72s because I love that pattern as well and it's close enough in style to the 73 to include it.

I try to buy other patterns to round out my collection but keep getting drawn back to this trapper/jack. I just love it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374955174.962652.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374955199.575216.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374955223.508454.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374955244.525807.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374955263.225239.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

2. roninelh

roninelh

Dec 14, 2010
    Great collection! I'm hooked as well! I love the 73 and the 15, but I think the 73 wins for me. I only have three right now, but plan on adding to that because I hear that GEC has a big run of 73's in August. I think a 73 single blade in that antique yellow bone/ autumn gold jigged is my grail... cant wait to see if they make one.

I've said it before and I'll say it again..... The 73 is the perfect all around pocket knife in my opinion.. Btw, I'm loving that bocote 73 Tony!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. tonystl

Feb 7, 2012
    I like the flat bolsters on that single blade. I heard they'll have more single blades as well. I have a warrencliff on reserve.

4. Tennessee Dave

Tennessee Dave

Apr 7, 2013
    Here's my one and only#73
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mongo, Prester John and meako like this.
  5. tonystl

Feb 7, 2012
    Yup. Now I need a stag handled one.

6. deskil

deskil

Dec 26, 2012
    [​IMG]

meako likes this.
  7. Sonnemann

Sonnemann

Sep 21, 2010
    Already have my name down for a stag one from the next run because of all the great ones posted here.
    I've owned some others but these SFOs are the ones I have left.

[​IMG]

8. 2Dead

2Dead Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2009
    The #73s and #72s are definitely a favorite...

#73s
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#72s
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#73 frame but not actually a #73 or #72...
    [​IMG]

meako likes this.
  9. deskil

deskil

Dec 26, 2012
    [​IMG]

10. roninelh

roninelh

Dec 14, 2010
    :eek: Awesome knife! is that the antique yellow bone?

Also, that stag is awesome Tennessee Dave! I now realize I NEED a stag 73...... looks like it's ramen noodles for dinner all august!

11. deskil

deskil

Dec 26, 2012
    :eek: Awesome knife! is that the antique yellow bone?

I believe it's this one;

[​IMG]

12. ddml

ddml

Nov 4, 2009
    [​IMG]

13. meako

meako Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    [​IMG]

14. johnny twoshoes

johnny twoshoes Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. gunstockjack

gunstockjack Mid-low tech sexagenarian. Gold Member

May 14, 2011
    Wow, some beauties on this thread fer sure! You guys know I love the 72/73 frames! Here's one of each...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. SonnyJim

SonnyJim Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I've got that one too, but with a liner lock. I liked the size, but it was a little heavy, and I really didn't like the lock afterall. There's just no need with such a stout spring IMHO. But then I found a used single Beavertail on the exchange for cheap, and WOW! It's soooo light, even had a nice start to a patina going, it was worth way more than what I paid. So, yeah, I'm going to get another of the next run...this time in ebony, with a drop point!

~Jim

17. NoNameNomad

NoNameNomad

Apr 25, 2011
    I've been looking at one knife or another, one pattern or another for my next purchase, and haven't settled on anything even after coming close to making a purchase. Been quite a while since I last ordered anything now. But lately the 73 is the one I think I might finally buy. Been carrying my 42 Trader a bit lately, and if was one of my first traditionals, first that I consider truly traditional anyways. I love that knife, but one a bit smalled would see more use, and so the 73.

Just need to decide on covers and slipjoint or linerlock, but it's my next purchase I think.

18. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I've had and sold a bunch of 'em, but these are still with me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ickythump likes this.
  19. KYenglish

KYenglish

Nov 26, 2010
    72 in ebony, I'm a fan :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. NoNameNomad

NoNameNomad

Apr 25, 2011
    I'm looking to get a 73, not a 72, but I'll say I love that blade shape, same as the bladeshape on my 42 lockback trader. Just a great looking blade.