1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's see those 73s (and 72s)

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by tonystl, Jul 27, 2013.

1. pistonsandgears

pistonsandgears Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2011
    I have thought about picking up a 73 again but have been deterred by reports of many of them being nail breakers to open and the 73 jack I had for a while was tough to open. I'll have to try another at some point.
    I do have a few 72s though and they are favorites of mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MCar

MCar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    I don't think there's been a run of #73s since I "discovered" GEC and without the excitement of a release, I just think I always saw tgmhis pattern as....well, ho-hum. I tried a plain Jane in OD green micarta and wasn't too taken with it. But later I got a couple with liner locks and really liked them. I think I let the understated appearance of this pattern lull me into thinking them less than remarkable. But...Ive seen the light and now have a few in my humble collection. Here's a recent acquisition, coming all the way from Italy.

[​IMG]

3. AlwaysTomboy

AlwaysTomboy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2016
    @MCar Grats on your newest! I really like the color and the jigging on that one.

Overall, I like the 72 much more than the 73, although that's almost entirely due to how easy the 72 is to open and close and how difficult the one 73 with liner lock I had was. I struggled with the heavy pull, and didn't like having to fight both liner lock and half stop to close it again. I'm fussier than most about that, though, probably. :oops:

Here's my post in another thread showing my 73, 72s (and a li'l 83). :)

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...73s-83s-and-72s.1273219/page-19#post-17433329

[​IMG]

4. MCar

Jul 20, 2015
    @AlwaysTomboy, nice line up! I have one 73 that is, indeed, very difficult to open. I also know what you mean about the liner lock + backspring....it was a weird sensation for me at first. I warmed to it, though and now I'm a big fan.

Here are my two with liner locks. I need to dabble more with 72s. I think you are right, I'm probably undervaluing them, too.

[​IMG]

5. AlwaysTomboy

Jan 31, 2016
    Oh man, that yellow rose. Gorgeous!

I could see the 72 not appealing to folks who like a strong spring since it has pretty much no resistance and relies just on the lock to keep it open. I also don't mind a slight bit of vertical play as long as the lock is still solid, but I know that puts off some people, too. Gotta love that GEC gives us so many options since tastes are so varied. :)

Ickythump and MCar like this.
  6. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Locks solid on my 72.. well solid enough for home made irish soda bread and orange marmalade work snack from mom :)

[​IMG]

7. AlwaysTomboy

Jan 31, 2016
    I should have clarified. The locks are solid on my 72s, but I've see other folks complain about vertical play that developed after use. My 73 with the liner lock had the slightest bit of vertical play but still locked solid.

8. The Fort

The Fort Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2012
  9. MCar

Jul 20, 2015
  10. MCar

Jul 20, 2015
    Well said, @AlwaysTomboy. GEC is pretty darn wonderful. :thumbsup:

11. The Fort

The Fort Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Yes, it is Primitive Bone.

12. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    I personally have not had any concerns with the two 72's I have and an 83. I see posts from people complain about them too, but I have yet to run into a problem. Maybe the few people that have had problems are more vocal about it? I don't know.

AlwaysTomboy likes this.
  13. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    IMG_0036.JPG IMG_0091.JPG

14. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

L.H.S, Burnt Stag, Half/Stop and 3 others like this.
  15. Pt-Luso

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG]

L.H.S, Burnt Stag, Dschal and 3 others like this.
  16. Pt-Luso

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

17. MCar

Jul 20, 2015
    Nice one, @Pt-Luso!

18. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    My 73's in my pocket right now, actually. It's the knife that pulled me away from my moderns. I still carry my Spyderco's and Benchmade's, but by far and wide my 73 wins the pocket race.

[​IMG]

That's an old glory shot of her before I cut up a few apples and mangos. The primary's a bit darker these days.

19. singin50

singin50 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2012
    First year runs (2006) of 2 GECs and one Northfiled. Herringbone, Rogers bone green tea and Sheffield bone.
    [​IMG]

20. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    72 Cody Jack
    [​IMG]