Let's see those strange survival knives !

I really wanted one of these when I was a kid I picked up the instructions somewhere and always lusted.
Then one turned up on fleabay last year so I did, Never ever meet your heroes.

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=G
Moras over rated ?????
I've had a few Aitors and they have worked well although I did have one break while a mate was using it. Snapped in half.
Wanted a Buck 184 but never found one at the right price.
You could do worse than getting stuck with a SAK champp.
My fencing pliers are among the first tools I pack. Had my original set for 15 yrs Dad brough me a set in Oct. for my birthday because He had never seen a set.
Carl

I really wanted one of these when I was a kid I picked up the instructions somewhere and always lusted.
Then one turned up on fleabay last year so I did, Never ever meet your heroes.

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=G
Moras over rated ?????
I've had a few Aitors and they have worked well although I did have one break while a mate was using it. Snapped in half.
Wanted a Buck 184 but never found one at the right price.
You could do worse than getting stuck with a SAK champp.
My fencing pliers are among the first tools I pack. Had my original set for 15 yrs Dad brough me a set in Oct. for my birthday because He had never seen a set.
Carl

I have one of those Marco Polo knives. It was given to me by a co-worker who knew I was into knives.
After her husband passed away I sold his rifles for her and made sure she got a fair price.
As a thank you she gave me the knife

Survival... afloat or ashore:

IMG_3352.jpg

What could be worse... you're in your yacht - and the first mate won't say where he/she left the good corkscrew. Out comes your Vic SAK Mariner-series 'Skipper' and it's nail-pulling pliers - not needed - you also have a corkscrew. Thirst quenched, you step back on the dock and walk back to the clubhouse.

Or... you are in the woods - a man-eatting ferret attacks - your handy Vic SAK - a 'Smurf' Farmer - has the right tool - you awl him. Fortunately, you also have a can opener for the pate - and a knife for that pack of new batteries for the satelite phone - the helo to the lodge awaits!

Stainz

This is the ultimate survival knife. Tested in some of the finest hotels in the tropics. Perfectly balanced for slicing through those pesky paper toilet protectors, opening up ice bags, and speading jam on an English muffin.

Altamaha014.jpg

Here it is with some inferior wannabees.

Littleknives001.jpg

Horndog,

Thank-you for posting that last shot. This thread has been truly painful and I only scanned it looking at the photos. Mac

I actually own one of these. I bought it in a fit of machete lust. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but the more I look at the design, the weirder it gets. I think Gerber is selling these things by the truckload. It's the only halfway-decent machete available in or around most American cities these days.
GerberGatorMachete-e.jpg

The blade appears to be bolted into the handle. And not very deeply. If the saw works, it might be useful. But I won't be chopping up any tables anytime soon with it. A sawback on a knife, and especially on a machete, makes about as much sense as a hammer on a pair of scissors to me. Just try batoning with that thing. Or using it as a draw knife, or....

I A sawback on a knife, and especially on a machete, makes about as much sense as a hammer on a pair of scissors to me. Just try batoning with that thing. Or using it as a draw knife, or....

you should have a piece of leather with you in your kit, brother.

just drape the leather over the sawback if there isn't a place for your hand, or your grip can't take it.

nothing keeps you from modding the end or the saw section with a grinder to accept batoning, while still maintaining plenty of saw teeth either. modding is our friend, right? - that act would probably make that Gerber Machete pretty sweet.

the leather scrap has a whole lot of other uses, like knapping arrowheads and transporting firestarts to a hearth too.

i am a convert to sawback knives when combatives is unlikely.

i usually carry a folding saw in my kit, but the first time my pack heads south without me along with my pack, in a hasty river crossing, it will be nice to know i have a decent saw on the back of my knife, that is tied down on my bandoleer....

been there, done that.

i urge you to reconsider the disdain for sawbacks - what we should really hate are crappy handles that don't allow you to leverage the sawback IMHO.

- and could you please suggest a good place for me to get some good hammer/scissors, brother? - they sound like absolute genius to me. :p:cool::thumbup:

your bud,

vec

I actually own one of these. I bought it in a fit of machete lust. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but the more I look at the design, the weirder it gets. I think Gerber is selling these things by the truckload. It's the only halfway-decent machete available in or around most American cities these days.
GerberGatorMachete-e.jpg

The blade appears to be bolted into the handle. And not very deeply. If the saw works, it might be useful. But I won't be chopping up any tables anytime soon with it. A sawback on a knife, and especially on a machete, makes about as much sense as a hammer on a pair of scissors to me. Just try batoning with that thing. Or using it as a draw knife, or....

I've heard countless tales of these breaking due to that crummy bolted tang. I'm not a big fan of saw backs either, but mostly because you need to find ones that A) have a good saw and B) don't chew the hell out of the sheath. Those are a rare breed. :)

This is the ultimate survival knife. Tested in some of the finest hotels in the tropics. Perfectly balanced for slicing through those pesky paper toilet protectors, opening up ice bags, and speading jam on an English muffin.

Altamaha014.jpg

Here it is with some inferior wannabees.

Littleknives001.jpg

wait wait....you bought it? :eek::D

I don't know... I can't put my finger on it, but there is something about these knives that doesn't sit right with me...

Emo%20Kid%2001.jpg

Problem....

This kid should know the motto is "down the street not across the road"
I always thought it was.
Across for sympathy, down for the book?
I'm the knife guy at a camping shop, they ( the "Cutters") seem genuinely shocked when the come in with the "scratch" marks across their wrist and I tell them I won't talk knives till they sort their lives out.
Carl

I can see many urban uses for this. Got a pic of one with a handle attached? :thumbup:

here ya go, brother. we're just starting to experiment.

this is Experiment #1 and i am already nuts about this little thingy, the ECO Hawk head.
bigEco.jpg

got a first chance to start playing with it today - i started a thread over in Axe Forums, where i normally hang out here. the tanto/spike is better than i'd expected especially.

link to conversation;

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7501501#post7501501

HTH.

vec

I don't know... I can't put my finger on it, but there is something about these knives that doesn't sit right with me...

Emo%20Kid%2001.jpg

It is down the lane, not across the street, dummy.:D
Man, on top of being pathetic, a lot of these Emo kids are stupid too and this one will make some lucky guy very happy some day!

Back