Let's see your Camillus knives!

Here's a group of older ones. A couple of Syracuse Knife company; Camco and TipTop barlows; a stockman with the famous spiral punch; a couple of jumbo jacks (one more jumbo than the other); and a "fisherman's luck"!
Quiz for the day: when was the tiny Christmas swell center made??:D :D
CamillusGroup.jpg

Quiz for the day: when was the tiny Christmas swell center made??:D :D

1975...... this was leftover stock that wasn't selling, so the Christmas design was added (1977) to the old stock, thinking there might be better sales at Christmas time.

Sales for this knife did not increase as expected, and so the "1977" knife may still be sitting on a shelf somewhere in the factory, or may have been sold very cheaply to a dealer who still has them.

No... I have no idea what I am talking about. :D :p

Made in 1978 for folks who forgot gifts for Christmas '77?:D
A nice grouping of knives! Is that Tip-Top a Sword Brand?

Here is another oldie, an A.W. Wadsworth & Son Germany. A bit fancy on the sparkles.

Michael

Camillus 3 7/8" Premium Stockman - It has to be one of the last they made before bankrupcy.
000_1398.jpg

Ed

Attachments

• 000_1397.jpg
    000_1397.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 5
Yes, Codger, the TipTop is a sword brand. Cool little lobster! Is it a two blade? Don't think I've seen one bladed like that if it is?

Here is a Camillus display that a fellow was showing in Oregon. He also collects celluloid knives - brave guy!
Sorry for the furry pic; I didn't have my scanner with me:D :D !
DSC01455.jpg

Since the Camillus forum is closing I will be visiting this Schrade forum.

Tom Williams

To T. Erdelyi,

The knife marked "Camillus has the Edge" is called a Junior Swing knife that I believe was made in the 1950's. I recall seeing the S-card for this knife in the Camillus records.

Tom Williams

Thanks for the info, any truth that they were given by salesmen as premium gifts for the retailers?

Hello everyone,this is my first post on this forum. This one was my fathers, I received it after he pasted back in 2000. Its been resting in a display box for some time.

P4220002%20%282%29.JPG

The Camillus knives that were hot stamped on the handle "Camillus has the Edge" were samples given out by factory salesmen. There was a small box full of these samples in the factory collection.

Tom Williams

Since the Camillus forum is closing I will be visiting this Schrade forum.

Tom Williams

You are quite welcome here Tom! Glad to have you help us out. For those of you not familiar with Mr. Tom WIlliams, he is an avid collector of Camillus knives and memorabilia, the former Camillus Historian, and former second generation Camillus employee of over thirty years. His Mother began working at Camillus post WWII, and knew Albert Baer, among others. He is currently working with the Camillus Historical Society to preserve what he can of Camillus Cutlery history. One of his latest projects was a speaking engagement on the subject of Germania Hall, a dormatory the Kastor brothers built to house German cutlers who came to work at Camillus. There are some interesting stories in the old Camillus Digest publications involving the workers and their lives. Many of the descendents of these original cutlers still live in Camillus.

Michael

H2O,
It's great to have a knife like that to remember him by. Looks like he got a lot of use out of it, and took care of it as well. I'll bet it's got some great stories to tell.

Eric

Welcome Tom, and H2O!!
Tom I read everything you post; at least twice!! Thanks for contributing here!!

Tom,
Welcome to the Schrade/Camillus forum. For many of us here there always has been a relationship in our collecting between Schrade & Camillus.
I also collect Ulster & Imperial. I think they are all part of the same family, Camillus included.

Your presence here is very welcome. I have appreciated your posts & emails.

I am looking forward to your future posts,
Dale

Tom, I look forward to reading your posts here, they have always been very informative. As a new collector of a Camillus brand " Catskill Knife Co." I am always looking for any information on that brand.
Dave

Another Camillus/Kastor brothers tang stamp, Fairmount-Cutlery Co-NY City. 1930-1940 according to Goins. This 3 1/2" two blade jack is shielded "MECHANIC'S SPECIAL".

Michael

The "Fairmount" name came from a local community which was located about three miles east of Camillus, NY. Knives were also made marked "Syracuse" which is a city located close to the Camillus factory.
Many Camillus brand knives are also marked "NY City" because Camillus Cutlery Co. had its sales office located in New York City from 1876-1949. The company also had a sales office in New York City during the 1980's and was located in the same building as the Schrade offices (1776 Broadway).

Tom Williams

Back