Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

I was upstairs fooling around in the knife bin and decided to get a photo of the Schrade pile.

Left to right is a USA drop point hunter, USA 165 old timer, h-15, and a new overseas made Sharpfinger.
20230428_203640~3.jpg

The 165 was my grandfather's hunting knife. It's a heck of a heavy duty knife. I have my G- grandfather's knife as well and it's a full sized fighter, so I guess they liked big heavy knives for hunting!

I was upstairs fooling around in the knife bin and decided to get a photo of the Schrade pile.

Left to right is a USA drop point hunter, USA 165 old timer, h-15, and a new overseas made Sharpfinger.
View attachment 2168546

The 165 was my grandfather's hunting knife. It's a heck of a heavy duty knife. I have my G- grandfather's knife as well and it's a full sized fighter, so I guess they liked big heavy knives for hunting!
I am a Schrade nut, and support your message :thumbsup:

I am a Schrade nut, and support your message :thumbsup:
Schrade is great!

When I was an early teenager, I took my dad's hunting knife out into the woods and as you can see in the photos here.... I was a jagoff and broke the thing. The handle is some sort of plastic and it just wasn't built very well. I still have it so here is a picture to show what happened.

Jean Case Cut Co, Little Valley NY
20230428_222559-COLLAGE.jpg

Determined to right my wrong, I went and bought my dad the nicest looking knife I could afford to replace this broken one. I can't remember the knife I bought as the replacement, but knowing the budget at the time I'm sure it wasn't anything all that great.

Now my grandpap (Pap) had some strong opinions about my dad's knife shown and the replacement I had given.

Pap pulled out that Schrade 165 and went on and on about the thick steel and especially the full tang construction. Since that day it was ingrained in my brain that the Schrade old timer is the pinnacle of knife manufacturing.

I can't say that he is wrong. Haven't met a Schrade yet that I didn't like. That drop point hunter shown in the previous post is one of my personal favorite knives. I've never had an Uncle Henry and have kinda been poking around looking for one that looks good. I think that'll be the next Schrade here!

Schrade is great!

When I was an early teenager, I took my dad's hunting knife out into the woods and as you can see in the photos here.... I was a jagoff and broke the thing. The handle is some sort of plastic and it just wasn't built very well. I still have it so here is a picture to show what happened.

Jean Case Cut Co, Little Valley NY
View attachment 2168640

Determined to right my wrong, I went and bought my dad the nicest looking knife I could afford to replace this broken one. I can't remember the knife I bought as the replacement, but knowing the budget at the time I'm sure it wasn't anything all that great.

Now my grandpap (Pap) had some strong opinions about my dad's knife shown and the replacement I had given.

Pap pulled out that Schrade 165 and went on and on about the thick steel and especially the full tang construction. Since that day it was ingrained in my brain that the Schrade old timer is the pinnacle of knife manufacturing.

I can't say that he is wrong. Haven't met a Schrade yet that I didn't like. That drop point hunter shown in the previous post is one of my personal favorite knives. I've never had an Uncle Henry and have kinda been poking around looking for one that looks good. I think that'll be the next Schrade here!
Great memories right there, thank you for sharing.

Pre 2004, American made Schrades are indeed excellent knives.

I'd love to get a small little loveless style knife like that bottom one.

This Hattori H109 is probably the only loveless style I'll ever own, because there's likely no other quality offerings that I could afford.
20230320_180641.jpg
The butt end of the handle isn't as pronounced, but overall it's a pretty good representation of a loveless design and all the quality is there.

This Hattori H109 is probably the only loveless style I'll ever own, because there's likely no other quality offerings that I could afford.
View attachment 2168830
The butt end of the handle isn't as pronounced, but overall it's a pretty good representation of a loveless design and all the quality is there.
This is a knife I'd forgotten I owned, not Loveless quality of course! :D :thumbsup:

3NQs6kw.jpg

ttz3WJt.jpg

tYH6JeY.jpg

Gonna show us?
The H-15 might be my favorite FB, but my 165 is in my bug-out wheel-barrow, too.
If I took only my favorites, I would still need the wheelbarrow.
View attachment 2168881
LOL! :D I don't recall seeing that one before Jer :cool: My friend Reaper AL Reaper AL very kindly sent me a couple of H10's, they're a nice lightweight package, attractive too :cool: :thumbsup:

AyteN38.jpg

Thank You. They were made by Geno Denning ( sadly no longer making knives) who was a student of George Herron. They are actually closer to the Herron style than Loveless's. The top one is a Caribou, the center is a GM (George's Model) and that small one is a MiniGM and the first one made. It came out of a conversation I had with Mr. Denning on what I thought would be a perfect small hunter. It is also the first (possibly only) knife Geno marked Prototype.

Thank You. They were made by Geno Denning ( sadly no longer making knives) who was a student of George Herron. They are actually closer to the Herron style than Loveless's. The top one is a Caribou, the center is a GM (George's Model) and that small one is a MiniGM and the first one made. It came out of a conversation I had with Mr. Denning on what I thought would be a perfect small hunter. It is also the first (possibly only) knife Geno marked Prototype.

That's pretty cool :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Gonna show us?
It's the Randall in the lineup shown here. Big one. Mid to late 40s I believe since it's made in Springfield instead of Orlando. I had contacted Randall about restoration but unfortunately they don't do that with the Springfield made knives. so, I scrubbed the rust off and am just keeping it the way it is. Hit it with the mineral oil every once in a while.

Post in thread 'Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.' https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ades-bowies-stickers-etc.413854/post-21748811

Last edited:
3V EDC Drop Point
WW2 Vintage Navy Rag Micarta
I have a similar blank, but I plan on repeating this handle profile on many other future blades.
It is perfect sized, melts into my large hand.

Thanks.

View attachment 2168546

View attachment 2168830

This is a knife I'd forgotten I owned, not Loveless quality of course! :D :thumbsup:

3NQs6kw.jpg

ttz3WJt.jpg

tYH6JeY.jpg
I love Schrade fixed blades, here are a couple of mine. I've shared them before but I'm sure no one minds if I trot them through again! 0301191558.jpg
The 171 I had wanted for years, my best friend has his grandfather's. His has the birds head pommel. Mine is carbon steel but doesn't have any blade stamps. I'm guessing it was etched and the etching is long gone now. 0323191605a.jpg0323191605.jpg
This PH1 probably will be the closest I'll come to owning a good quality Loveless design. The first generation of the PH1 was a licensed copy of Loveless's drop point hunter. These original ones are built very well imho.Screenshot_20230430-134721_Photos.jpg
Thin behind the edge, the edge bevel is quite small because of this. Mine is capable of feather stick'n a pine needle!

Back