Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Nice. I wonder how they got to the Lapplander name. Proverbial for toughness, maybe?

I hesitate to say this is my favorite Mora, since I like all I have. Though I think I can safely say that the ones with the cross gaurds are my least favored.
ICQJBpN.jpg

I've only just noticed how artful they were with the lanyard hole.
I’m like these. Kind of like a modern take on the Kephart.

I’m like these. Kind of like a modern take on the Kephart.
Yeah. And the flat grind out of Mora makes it a rare treasure .
C0vnNh1.jpg
(That's just glare on the point, not a double edge.)
The blade seems thin next to other Moras, but it's the same thickness as my beloved Schrade H-15, as near as I can tell.
M3eQuql.jpg

I'm probably repeating myself, so pity my grey hairs.

Here is a chunky old Russell skinner I found recently at a flea market (boot sale I guess it's called across the pond) Not beautiful but it's ready to hack and slice. Nice thick steel. I don't know what you would skin with this... Maybe a tyrannosaurus. It definitely could double as a camp chopper.

20230529_223134~2.jpg

Here is a chunky old Russell skinner I found recently at a flea market (boot sale I guess it's called across the pond) Not beautiful but it's ready to hack and slice. Nice thick steel. I don't know what you would skin with this... Maybe a tyrannosaurus. It definitely could double as a camp chopper.

View attachment 2203501
Thirty or forty years ago the sheep-skinner, called by butchers a legger, was a popular basis for hunting knife designs. I think it was shorter than that, though. I might still have the article.

View attachment 2203501
That's a nice one Rick :cool: :thumbsup:
Thirty or forty years ago the sheep-skinner, called by butchers a legger, was a popular basis for hunting knife designs. I think it was shorter than that, though. I might still have the article.
Is that the article that was in Knives '87 Jer? Pretty interesting article if I recall, introduced me to the term 'Kill Truck'! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

When I was on The Wizard's Quest many years ago, I had a day in Sheffield, but the only knife I found for sale in numerous antique shops was this skinner by Gustav Emilern of Solingen, which I think fits the Sheep Skinner profile. Think I gave it to Andi Humppa Humppa :thumbsup:

yxJttuo.jpg

mMcNkAT.jpg

That's a nice one Rick :cool: :thumbsup:

Is that the article that was in Knives '87 Jer? Pretty interesting article if I recall, introduced me to the term 'Kill Truck'! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

When I was on The Wizard's Quest many years ago, I had a day in Sheffield, but the only knife I found for sale in numerous antique shops was this skinner by Gustav Emilern of Solingen, which I think fits the Sheep Skinner profile. Think I gave it to Andi Humppa Humppa :thumbsup:

yxJttuo.jpg

mMcNkAT.jpg
Believe it or not, I can't find it!
But the kill truck sounds familiar. And the guy sharpened his knives on a bench grinder and he and his wife went through knives very rapidly?

I can't remember if I have such a knife somewhere or if I only thought I needed to get one.

This is from a similar ball-park, I think.
EwIl0Zs.jpg

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I can't find it!
But the kill truck sounds familiar. And the guy sharpened his knives on a bench grinder and he and his wife went through knives very rapidly?

I can't remember if I have such a knife somewhere or if I only thought I needed to get one.

This is from a similar ball-park, I think.
EwIl0Zs.jpg

That's right Jer, and they gave him a Chris Reeves Sheep Skinner to try out :D The '87 annual was one of the first I was able to acquire over here, and I must have read it cover to cover many times over! :D I think it was the first place I first read about Frost's knives (of Mora) too :) I think I got the '83 first, and I have the '86, but got that much later. I remember giving some away over the years, but don't know where they all went, the only one I have now from the 80's is the '86. That looks very useful Jer, do you think it looks a bit Nessmuk-like too? :thumbsup:

That's right Jer, and they gave him a Chris Reeves Sheep Skinner to try out :D The '87 annual was one of the first I was able to acquire over here, and I must have read it cover to cover many times over! :D I think it was the first place I first read about Frost's knives (of Mora) too :) I think I got the '83 first, and I have the '86, but got that much later. I remember giving some away over the years, but don't know where they all went, the only one I have now from the 80's is the '86. That looks very useful Jer, do you think it looks a bit Nessmuk-like too? :thumbsup:
I think it looks very Nessmukky.
I have or had the one with the "Swedish Army Knife" article, too. "Every now and then someone says that the perfect all-round knife would be a 4" clip or trailing point blade, but we have it already in the Swedish Army Knife." (But the sheath fails if you whack it against a tree too many times, which can happen if you're an ex-paratrooper.)
I was going to take a pic of my Frost's SwAK, but my batteries are charging.

I think it looks very Nessmukky.
I have or had the one with the "Swedish Army Knife" article, too. "Every now and then someone says that the perfect all-round knife would be a 4" clip or trailing point blade, but we have it already in the Swedish Army Knife." (But the sheath fails if you whack it against a tree too many times, which can happen if you're an ex-paratrooper.)
I was going to take a pic of my Frost's SwAK, but my batteries are charging.
That's definitely the same issue Jer :) Yeah, the sheath is pretty awful (I have 3 different models)! :eek:

KCCnrpE.jpg

41842-1-4.jpg

Here's one Dexter is still calling a sheep skinner.
Victorinox is calling theirs a lamb skinner.
The industrial sheep skinner is less bulbous-nosed than my WestNess or Buck's 100 series skinner, I see.

Maybe I still need one?

41842-1-4.jpg

Here's one Dexter is still calling a sheep skinner.
The industrial sheep skinner is less bulbous-nosed than my WestNess or Buck's 100 series skinner, I see.

Maybe I still need one?
It looks like a really useful blade Jer :thumbsup:

:eek: :eek: :D:thumbsup:

An awful knife, I was given this MoD (Ministry of Defence) British Army survival knife today.
6mm thick, 7" blade with a very low sabre grind. The fibre handles are horrendous and aren't flush with the tang. The sheath is a bit of a joke, though at least it's actually leather. Weighs about 18oz.
This will only be kept for reference, I don't see myself using this.

20230601_174222.jpg
20230601_174342.jpg

An awful knife, I was given this MoD (Ministry of Defence) British Army survival knife today.
6mm thick, 7" blade with a very low sabre grind. The fibre handles are horrendous and aren't flush with the tang. The sheath is a bit of a joke, though at least it's actually leather. Weighs about 18oz.
This will only be kept for reference, I don't see myself using this.

View attachment 2204549
View attachment 2204550
It's a genuine jungle knife!
I was always tempted by those.
Thanks for the review.

5426-070-525-900x900_540x540.jpg

I could have gotten a Portuguese one with a cast handle a little cheaper, but those have Rada-style hook-tangs. Never mind that I've never heard of a Rada handle failing. When you're cornered by a killer sheep, you need to have absolute confidence.

Last edited:
5426-070-525-900x900_540x540.jpg

I could have gotten a Portuguese one with a cast handle a little cheaper, but those have Rada-style hook-tangs. Never mind tha I've never heard of a Rada handle failing. When you're cornered by a killer sheep, you need to have absolute confidence.
Nice Jer, you are quite right my friend! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

black-sheep-poster.jpg

I haven't carried this one in a while...

95t6Mqg.jpg

Back