Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Is anyone familiar with Girl Scout knives? My little girl started Scouts this year, and I want to get her a nice vintage knife, hopefully with bone covers. I figure I can give it to her on her First Communion this spring. That should make a nice gift, a Bible to study and a good knife to have in her pocket.

The problem is I don't quite know what to look for. My searches for scout knives keep turning up ones made for Boy Scouts, or general utility knives. I'd appreciate any pointers you guys can give me. Thanks.

Here are the 2 beauties, side by side.

Z882Qwrh.jpg
Those are just amazing! If knives were still jigged like that I think I’d be a bone guy.

Let us see what you find.

Imperial BSA, don't ask me what kind of plastic this is; and a pretty sad Solingen Colonialoid.
yjYKSCT.jpg

This has turned into a fabulous thread of great knives.

I just finished going through all thirty-five pages and it's very impressive.

I didn't, however, see a single scout/utility from The Terrier Cutlery Company.

So, here's mine, made by Robeson between 1910 and 1916, while Terrier was a premium line added to their other fine quality knives.

This knife appeared on Ebay with a significant Buy-It-Now price, but it was only there for thirty minutes before I bought it.

It's the same knife as a Robeson 642214, but they reversed the numbers on the Terriers, so this one is marked 214641.

Absolutely Stunning Charlie- my God that’s a beautiful Knife!
Speaking of Terrier Charlie - I have been watching a Terrier Jack with a significant Buy now - you just don’t see many do you - especially one s like your Campers Stunner.

If you're talking about Ebay and a little pearl, it's too much money and a better one at a more reasonable price will be along. It's a rather common pattern from both Terrier and Robeson.

Here’s a half scout from Camillus. Sort of a beer scout, but with a spear point blade. I couldn’t tell from the auction pictures, what the covers were made from. I was hoping for wood, but it looks like composition. Liners are steel. The main was a bit proud, so I had to file down the kick a bit.

NzL8nZuh.jpg

If the shape looks familiar to you, it’s because the knife is built on the tried and true Camillus #14 frame. The same frame that was used to build the engineer’s knives and a host of other Camillus knives.

dLp0FpLh.jpg

This isn't actually my knife, but I wanted to share the story of how it came into my possession. About a week ago I made a post regarding the less commonly seen Girl Scout knives. A few days after I was contacted by a very generous man named John A. Larsen. He mentioned that he had a scout knife that he wanted to gift to a young lady.

38392372036_60b13d695a_c.jpg

It was waiting in the mailbox when I got home. She's a purdy one, and trim for a scout knife. She's significantly lighter than my camp/utility knife, a WWII-era Camillus Engineer's pocketknife. I took a quick pic, but it didn't turn out that great under artificial light. I'll take some better ones when I get the chance.

Thanks again John!

Been awhile since I visited this thread, absolutely stunning examples have been posted lately.

Gev, I was really happy to see your post on the Crucible, I found one a few years ago and always questioned whether it was a fake or not, seeing yours I am pretty sure it is legit, it also has deep craggy bone.
From what I can find on Crucible which is not much there is varying opinions if they made their knives or had someone else make them with their stamp, as you stated they were only in business for a few years. The knives do appear to be well made.

IMG_3130.jpg IMG_3133.jpg IMG_3137.jpg IMG_3139.jpg IMG_3145.jpg

Back