Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

If your speaking of my rusty gold...Thank you kindly :D This one is gold to me. I've wanted a Camillus for awhile and this one suits me well indeed;)

I feel like riffing:

The pedigree of honey
Matters not to me
For a clover
Is and will always be
Camillus aristocracy

Beauty is a thing with feathers
That perches in the heart
And erases the rust of time

Last edited:
There have been Cowboy Poets, and many other sorts.
Without labeling you, I enjoy your riffing on the world of cutlery, Gev!!

If your speaking of my rusty gold...Thank you kindly :D This one is gold to me. I've wanted a Camillus for awhile and this one suits me well indeed;)

I feel like riffing:

The pedigree of honey
Matters not to me
For a clover
Is and will always be
Camillus aristocracy

There have been Cowboy Poets, and many other sorts.
Without labeling you, I enjoy your riffing on the world of cutlery, Gev!!
Thank you for your thoughtfulness, Charlie :D:):thumbsup: This morning, I'm studying Mr. Nagle's salesman's sample roll ( my new desktop ) and I don't see a scout...huh. I do see the inspiration for the GEC 78 on display out of its cubby :) Man o man is that a joy to see all that green ;)

Camillus c. 1946-1956

Rusty Memories

38997072072_e752e5df2f_b.jpg

That's a beautiful Camillus. But you already know how much I love Camillus engineers knives. The 14 pattern equal end knives from Camillus were exceptional during this time period; especially considering that hundreds of thousands, maybe millions were made. Yours looks like it has plenty of history. A little CA glue, and skotch-brite pad and some light oil, and she'll be a fine user.

That's a beautiful Camillus. But you already know how much I love Camillus engineers knives. The 14 pattern equal end knives from Camillus were exceptional during this time period; especially considering that hundreds of thousands, maybe millions were made. Yours looks like it has plenty of history. A little CA glue, and skotch-brite pad and some light oil, and she'll be a fine user.
Thank you, Buzz !! The knife is a bit bigger and heavier than my other scouts. A fine piece indeed. It really is a cool one and the bone is terrific. What is the CA for? Its solid as a rock. It was inexpensive and I plan to put it through the paces.

CA = Cyano-Acrylate or something like that; Superglue!!
Here is the only Scout of Mark's that I have a picture of. It predates Peachseed, so closer to WWI than the WWII-era ones we usually see!
View attachment 813886

Man o man...is that out of this world gorgeous !!! Thank you very much for the pleasure Charlie !!!

I should have worded by CA question better. What use did he see for it? I'm guessing thin CA to stabilize the superfine pin crack in the bone just barely visible, all but to his keen eye. I have used CA ( in its many derivatives )to build everything from foam fractionators, de-nitrification filters to radio controlled gliders and beyond. Just wondering what use he was suggesting. Always open to learn new tricks. I love chemistry :D

Man o man...is that out of this world gorgeous !!! Thank you very much for the pleasure Charlie !!!

I should have worded by CA question better. What use did he see for it? I'm guessing thin CA to stabilize the superfine pin crack in the bone just barely visible, all but to his keen eye. I have used CA ( in its many derivatives )to build everything from foam fractionators, de-nitrification filters to radio controlled gliders and beyond. Just wondering what use he was suggesting. Always open to learn new tricks. I love chemistry :D

You’ve got it. A nice thin CA glue for the pin crack. I’ve fixed tons of cracks in wood and bone covers with CA. Jens Anso first introduced me to using it, for mending natural cover materials. If the crack is thin enough, it can pretty much disappear after gluing. Use small applications, slowly filling the crack, until you’re satisfied. If necessary, use fine sandpaper to remove any excess.

I feel like riffing:

The pedigree of honey
Matters not to me
For a clover
Is and will always be
Camillus aristocracy

Mighty fine riffing for a mighty fine old knife. :)

zy2f6NEh.jpg

HnUWWBqh.jpg

This knife arrived yesterday. It's one of those AG Russell Premium Scouts that have been floating around the big auction site lately, with no blade etch on the main blade. AG himself has mentioned that these non-etched knives never crossed through his store, so I'm assuming that they were probably assembled after the closing of Camillus Cutlery from leftover parts.

Overall, it's a very nice using knife. Fit and finish is good.The covers aren't too thick, and are both are the same thickness. Pull on the main blade is a solid 4.5. I'll be sharpening and testing the main blade this week, to determine whether the main blade is indeed 154CM like the real AG Russell Premium Scouts, or whether it's simply 420HC like Camillus used on their scouts during this period of manufacture. I'm guessing that it's 154CM. The blade is a hair thicker behind the edge than the 440 and 420 series stainless blades that Camillus routinely used in their scouts, and consistent with the black micarta Premium Scout in my collection.

The only real issue with the knife is the mismatched stag covers. The mark side is very light with relatively shallow accents , while the pile side is extremely dark and deep and bold. The mismatch is far more than the pictures actually reveal. The two sides don't even remotely resemble one another.

Fortunately, the scale mismatch and lack of blade etch makes this a solid user or project knife, and not a collector item. So I'll be carrying it if it is indeed 154CM steel on the main blade. Does anybody have any good ideas on how to even out the coloring on the covers? I like both scales, not preferring one over the other. Do you think the scale shading will even out over time with use and hand sweat? Or should I send the knife out to somebody, to have the covers replaced with better stag? The other option is to send out the knife to somebody, along with one of my precious Camillus C4's, and have the 154CM blade thinned out and fit to the C4, and have some custom covers made for it, to make it sort of the ultimate Camillus C4. The blade swap is theoretically possible, as they are both manufactured from the same Camillus #5779 equal end pattern.

Choices.... choices..... choices.......

Nice one! I look forward to see what you find about blade steel.
I would use -KMnO4
Potassium permanganate
I believe its what they treat the stag with initially to sanitize it. Works great to swab on and darken stag.

Nice one! I look forward to see what you find about blade steel.
I would use -KMnO4
Potassium permanganate
I believe its what they treat the stag with initially to sanitize it. Works great to swab on and darken stag.

That's sounds doable, and not expensive at all. What kind of liquid would I add it?

Back