Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a new one for me, but definitely not newly made. This is from Utica Cutlery. By the shape of the can opener and the spiral punch I'm guessing maybe........... 1930's? I'm not very knowledgeable of Utica Cutlery, but I'm guessing this possibly predates the Kutmaster line. The punch is really nice. The cap lifter is good. The main blade has a swedge and nice long pull. The can opener is an ancient style of opener. The craftsmanship is okay, but not excellent. Trying to access the nail nick for the can opener is nearly impossible, it sits so low in the frame when closed. The blades have good snap, but the overall walk is not very smooth. Talk is average at best. Great design, but the craftsmanship is a bit lacking overall.

zmWJln0h.jpg

N6C5vzOh.jpg

2H31rfuh.jpg

tendog

Basic Member
Here's a new one for me, but definitely not newly made. This is from Utica Cutlery. By the shape of the can opener and the spiral punch I'm guessing maybe........... 1930's? I'm not very knowledgeable of Utica Cutlery, but I'm guessing this possibly predates the Kutmaster line. The punch is really nice. The cap lifter is good. The main blade has a swedge and nice long pull. The can opener is an ancient style of opener. The craftsmanship is okay, but not excellent. Trying to access the nail nick for the can opener is nearly impossible, it sits so low in the frame when closed. The blades have good snap, but the overall walk is not very smooth. Talk is average at best. Great design, but the craftsmanship is a bit lacking overall.

zmWJln0h.jpg

N6C5vzOh.jpg

2H31rfuh.jpg
Very nice buzzbait.Tom

Peregrin

Traditional Forum Moderator
Gold Member
Removed one post. Edited one post and three quotes. Please keep the offers to buy, sell or trade out of the discussion threads.

Campbellclanman

Platinum Member

zmWJln0h.jpg

N6C5vzOh.jpg

2H31rfuh.jpg

Hey there Buzz!
My friend - as always your posts are just fantastic.
That Utica is interesting because it doesn’t have the usual Utica Patented Punch - That Spiraled Punch is Camillus, so one of two things.
Utica bought some of Camillus Punches, or a contract knife from Camillus for Utica which would be the more likely?

Nice Bulldog Fodderwing matey!!

Hey there Buzz!
That Utica is interesting because it doesn’t have the usual Utica Patented Punch - That Spiraled Punch is Camillus, so one of two things.
Utica bought some of Camillus Punches, or a contract knife from Camillus for Utica which would be the more likely?

Nice Bulldog Fodderwing matey!!

I just happen to have a Camillus contract scout knife of the same vintage, complete with old style can opener and spiral punch. I’ll dig it out tomorrow and compare them.

9JE0s7wh.jpg

Hey there Buzz!
Utica bought some of Camillus Punches, or a contract knife from Camillus for Utica which would be the more likely

That’s a no-go on the Camillus comparison. The frame sizes are very different. The spiral punches are different. Even the old can openers are noticeably different.

I did do some searching, and it looks like Utica might have also produced a similar knife for the Girls Scouts, with spiral punch and the same style of can opener. This may just be a non-contract version of the Girl Scout knife, but with bone covers instead of green celluloid.

Campbellclanman

Platinum Member
Buzz- thank you and extremely interesting.
Buzz with those two in hand - could you please do a comparison shot of the two punches side by side? - also each side of the Punches as well please Sir?
If I may ask as well the can opener as well?
I’m trying to build a reference of the Punches.
Many thanks in advance
Duncan.

Buzz- thank you and extremely interesting.
Buzz with those two in hand - could you please do a comparison shot of the two punches side by side? - also each side of the Punches as well please Sir?
If I may ask as well the can opener as well?
I’m trying to build a reference of the Punches.
Many thanks in advance
Duncan.

Here you go. The knife with the removable bail is the Camillus-manufactured Sta-Sharp. The permanent bail is on the Utica.

The can openers are the same type of opener, but obviously quite different in shape and size.

tCfHTcwh.jpg

Upon closer inspection, the punches are actually quite similar. The Utica has just been polished down, losing some of it's texture. The biggest difference being that the Utica punch is much more rounded on the spiral side, and the Camillus has a very even spacing between the peaks and valleys of the spirals.

GfUonyeh.jpg

0Myr8zih.jpg

The main blades are also very similar, other than the Camillus having a nail nick and the Utica having a long pull. The cap lifters are totally different. The overall lengths of the knives are similar, but pin spacing is completely different. The bolsters are wider on the Utica.

Here's a picture of a Utica Featherweight Girl Scout knife that's pretty much identical to my Utica, other than cover type and bolster rings.

iu2ilPAh.jpg

Fodderwing

Gold Member
Wow. Those are very similar. I can't get over the bone on that Remington, and how full the blade is. It's a marvelous knife.

So the question must be asked. Who made this pattern first? I'm assuming that it was either Remington or Boker that pioneered the pattern, but I could be entirely wrong. Both companies produced them a long time ago.

qCQCifah.jpg

DTwC9HPh.jpg
Buzz my question involves the following quote -"So the question must be asked. Who made this pattern first?" I have searched high and low trying to find out if "this pattern" has a name. By that I am referring to these particular scouts that are larger with the "shoulder" that protrudes on one side usually housing the cork screw and/or the punch. Boker makes one, Remington makes one, Bulldog makes one... Perhaps there are others that make it too. This particular shape doesn't seem to have a name. I believe you have referred to it as a "Gentleman's Scout". Is there a particular term that defines this exact shape of scout? Example below. fullsizeoutput_4ce.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9e5.jpeg fullsizeoutput_d04.jpeg