Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Nice knife Taylor, that's definitely the Ulster scout model that originated as one of the RJ Reynolds Prince Albert Tobacco knives. Even though they were made by Ulster they carried the Old Timer name. The scout was the 114OT model. These weren't the original Old Timers but they are believed to be largely responsible for making Old Timers an everyday name. Albert Baer was a knife selling wizard and landed the contract with Sears when he owned Schrade and Ulster. He later had a hand in Camillus making knives for them too. Cool scout you have!

View attachment 1048540
I have the same trio and tin Kevin, very nice set ya have there:thumbsup:

Nice knife Taylor, that's definitely the Ulster scout model that originated as one of the RJ Reynolds Prince Albert Tobacco knives. Even though they were made by Ulster they carried the Old Timer name. The scout was the 114OT model. These weren't the original Old Timers but they are believed to be largely responsible for making Old Timers an everyday name. Albert Baer was a knife selling wizard and landed the contract with Sears when he owned Schrade and Ulster. He later had a hand in Camillus making knives for them too. Cool scout you have!

View attachment 1048540

Awesome information! I'm gonna touch up the edge on it and start giving it some time in the pocket! Again, thanks! May even see some more pics of it here in this thread. :cool:

I have the same trio and tin Kevin, very nice set ya have there:thumbsup:
Took me forever to get the scout! I missed out on several near mint ones on the auction site and finally settled for a Buy it Now on one that needed some TLC :D The 58OT and 10OT are like new :thumbsup:

I arrived home to a Kingston army engineer knife in my mailbox last night. I’m guessing it’s from the very tail end of WW2, having a much improved can opener and brass liners. It’s a real brute of a knife. The springs and tools are very thick, and the pulls on the tools are far stronger than my usual Camillus. I place the pulls at around a 7. I’m not breaking nails, but I’m close.

Despite the thick stock, the wide spear blade tapers to a rather thin .021” behind the edge. The blade is like a dream come true for somebody who needs good cutting efficiency through lots of use, while maintaining good durability. The punch is also very nice. It’s big, greatly rounded, and extremely thick. Much more durable than the majority of scout knife punches.

As I said earlier, the can opener is of the newer style, and far more useful and durable than most WW2 can openers. Kingston did have to bend it in kind of an odd way, to fit it into the frame alongside the cap lifter. The screwdriver/cap lifter is very long, with very little cant in relation to the frame, so turning a flathead screw should be quite easy. The tool is very thick and robust.

Aesthetically, it’s a great knife. The covers look close to identical to what I’ve seen from Camillus during this same time period. No shield though, as it wasn’t a requirement of the military contract. The main blade is stamped with a simple “MADE IN U.S.A.”. The bail is longer than a Camillus bail, but appropriate for the size of the knife.

I guess the only downsides to this knife are due to its extreme durability. It’s a thick knife and heavier than my favorite Camillus.

All in all, this a wonderful scout. If you prefer a stronger pull, and don’t mind a little extra thickness and weight, you could do far worse. This is not an elegant design like a Remington, or quite as refined as a Camillus, but more of a brute force approach, keeping well in tune with its intended audience of combat troops. I wouldn’t hesitate to take this knife out camping and giving it a good honest workout. I’m totally impressed.

Ueadkdjh.jpg

Zfsmezyh.jpg
ZNa8MNIh.jpg

RQ4oLgOh.jpg

Y72BEMNh.jpg

Yy39RmDh.jpg

Here’s a quick frame thickness comparison to a Remington with the same thickness of springs and blade stock.

Obp5V7nh.jpg

And here’s a quick group shot of old scouts. From left to right: Camillus, Kingston, Utica, Remington

QEmBCuHh.jpg

I love the Kingston scout knives. Very nice example and review Buzz! They are overbuilt tanks and that's what I find so appealing. Mine is unused, but wasn't stored as well as yours was. I always joke about the "cantopener" on mine...springs are strong. Not a hint of wobble or play. I'm always on the lookout for another one.
20190105_132447.jpg 20190105_132518.jpg

I love the Kingston scout knives. Very nice example and review Buzz! They are overbuilt tanks and that's what I find so appealing. Mine is unused, but wasn't stored as well as yours was. I always joke about the "cantopener" on mine...springs are strong. Not a hint of wobble or play. I'm always on the lookout for another one.
View attachment 1048720 View attachment 1048721

LOL. Mine also has a cantopener. The shape makes it even harder to open than the other tools. Fortunately, my can openers don’t get too much use, so if one tool has to be tough to open, I prefer it to be the can opener.

But really, the Kingston is an outstanding knife, especially when you consider the conditions it needed to survive, and the men who used them.

I arrived home to a Kingston army engineer knife in my mailbox last night. I’m guessing it’s from the very tail end of WW2, having a much improved can opener and brass liners. It’s a real brute of a knife. The springs and tools are very thick, and the pulls on the tools are far stronger than my usual Camillus. I place the pulls at around a 7. I’m not breaking nails, but I’m close.

Despite the thick stock, the wide spear blade tapers to a rather thin .021” behind the edge. The blade is like a dream come true for somebody who needs good cutting efficiency through lots of use, while maintaining good durability. The punch is also very nice. It’s big, greatly rounded, and extremely thick. Much more durable than the majority of scout knife punches.

As I said earlier, the can opener is of the newer style, and far more useful and durable than most WW2 can openers. Kingston did have to bend it in kind of an odd way, to fit it into the frame alongside the cap lifter. The screwdriver/cap lifter is very long, with very little cant in relation to the frame, so turning a flathead screw should be quite easy. The tool is very thick and robust.

Aesthetically, it’s a great knife. The covers look close to identical to what I’ve seen from Camillus during this same time period. No shield though, as it wasn’t a requirement of the military contract. The main blade is stamped with a simple “MADE IN U.S.A.”. The bail is longer than a Camillus bail, but appropriate for the size of the knife.

I guess the only downsides to this knife are due to its extreme durability. It’s a thick knife and heavier than my favorite Camillus.

All in all, this a wonderful scout. If you prefer a stronger pull, and don’t mind a little extra thickness and weight, you could do far worse. This is not an elegant design like a Remington, or quite as refined as a Camillus, but more of a brute force approach, keeping well in tune with its intended audience of combat troops. I wouldn’t hesitate to take this knife out camping and giving it a good honest workout. I’m totally impressed.

Ueadkdjh.jpg

Zfsmezyh.jpg
ZNa8MNIh.jpg

RQ4oLgOh.jpg

Y72BEMNh.jpg

Yy39RmDh.jpg

Here’s a quick frame thickness comparison to a Remington with the same thickness of springs and blade stock.

Obp5V7nh.jpg

And here’s a quick group shot of old scouts. From left to right: Camillus, Kingston, Utica, Remington

QEmBCuHh.jpg
Marvelous post as usual ! Thank you...you make Scouting fun !

Buzz and Navaja
Two very nice examples of Kingston’s thereGents.
Buzz your latest example looks almost as if it never left the factory- great Knife.
Thank you again for coming back to me on the Punch comparison between Ulsters and Camillus’s Spural Punch - often Camillus will have in fact the words “Spiral Punch” Stamped on the tang which I am sure you have seen before.

I see your photo of Charlie’s Texas Camp Knife - I think that GEC make some incredible knives - there’s no doubt about it - but Bill I feel did something very special in the making of these - Texas Camp Knives - so unbelievably built.

Phill - nice Catt my friend.
Phill - I am cataloging some Punches- and would really appreciate a good close up of your Punch on that knife Sir. Both sides if possible that include a tang stamp if one is there?
I hope this isn’t cheeky and MANY Thanks in advance.

Back