Lets see your woods knives with a 7-10" cutting edge

Hello all. I don't usually come to this forum, but I have recently gotten interested in some outdoor blades. My question concerns a specific knife and blade shape. I had decided between an Ontario Ranger RD-9, and a Becker BK-9. Then I remembered the Browning Crowell/Barker knife, so this is what I went with. The question is this; Most of the knives pictured here are either a drop point or a clip point designed blade. The Browning has more of an upswept tip. Is an upswept tip a hindrence
as a woods knife? I like this knife as it fits my hand better than the other two mentioned, and it does have the "beef" to be used hard. I also chose a small fixed blade and that is the Ontario Ranger Falcon, a drop point with a blade 3 7/8". Now it is 1/4" thick so I doubt it would be a great slicer.

Anyway, I was curious about the Browning. It has 10 to 12 years since I have done any "wooding", and this includes mostly camping. I had a large knife, 7.5" blade, at that time that I used for chopping wood, although it didn't have the weight needed for deeper cuts.

So let me know what you think of my choices, but keep in mind that the same knives will have to double as my knives for the apocolyptic zombie uprising that apparently is coming!:eek:;):D

I too absolutely looooove your Junglas, BryFry! I wish I were that creative/handy! Great work, man.

12 inches of pure goodness!

Fiddleback1.jpg

Fiddleback4.jpg

Is an upswept tip a hindrence as a woods knife?

cutter17, it's more of a personal preference, IMHO. The only reason that I can think of that an upswept tip would be detrimental is that, because the point of the knife is actually above the center of the knife (as in, it's not in line with the handle), piercing things might be a little more difficult. For example, I like to use spear point knives or drop point knives, because the tip allows for finesse when I need it. But again, that's just my take on it.

The Browning is a good choice. I have one and it is a great outdoor use blade.
Scott

Just got back from a 3 day trip with just me and the pooch (report to follow) and did some work around the house but decided to try some choppers out as I took my TOPS Hoodlum backpacking and used it quite a bit. It sucks as a chopper on seasoned wood, but smaller, green stuff it's excellent.

Of the lineup, the two that really surprised me were the Browning Crowell/Barker and the Fallkniven A2. For a non-custom chopper, the Browning is well done and very effective...one of the best for the price. The shorter A2 was surprising despite the size...goes to show that it's a combination of factors that give good chopping performance...the convex grind made the difference on the shorter A2 and even with the lighter and thinner Leukuchete from Koyote.

DSCF0055.jpg

ROCK6

The Swamp Rat a Battle Rat or Camp Tramp? I love me come res-c! ;) :)

ok , I persoanlly dont have a knife that fits into that size range at the moment .
My mummy does tho
this one is hers :) and yeah it does get used , plenty , but more for cooking and food prep duty .. so she keeps it spotless .
I got it for her from Blades of Java .
DSCF1766.jpg

When I have this one in hand, I'll post photos: I have a Randall Model 14 Cut-Down Tang knife coming in the end of August. It'll have the normal Model 14 slant-clip blade in O-1 steel, a brass #1-style guard, a black micarta #1-style handle, with a rounded brass buttcap. It'll be my "heavy-duty" field knife.

Ron

I don't have many big blades, most are 4-6", but these work for me. Also have a Jeff White Bowie thats indestructible.
86c222f0.jpg

Jeff White Bowie compared to Gossman 5.5" Big Boar Tusker
6dd4495b.jpg

Last edited:
It's been this for sometime.

Busse-CGFBM-2.JPG

These will be my new user set when they get back with new pants.

Busse-group-sh-users-9.JPG

It's been this for sometime.

These will be my new user set when they get back with new pants.

Busse-group-sh-users-9.JPG

YOWZA, old school SH!! To date the SHBA is my favorite blade.

I had a friend mod my 3B2 following the SHBA lines.

DSC_0011-15.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up a trio of those Jeff White camp bowie's bidding cheap on ebay 3yrs ago. Definitely bombproof and they throw quite well(cedar round not hardwood). A little time customizing the handle would pay off for extensive chopping, they come fairly convexed.

The rest of my 7in plus herd.....
Bk-7, bk-9, rtakII, 3 trailmaster's sk-5-carbonV & vg laminate, helle lapplander, koster survivor, bark river rogue, 3 kabar classic's, kabar camp knife, kabar large bowie, paul chen/hanwei bowies(3), wwII swiss bayonet.

Back