Let's see your yard sale/flea market finds

So I went back to pick up a couple more orphans from the estate sale.

Here's an old Plumb
DSC01879.JPG

And an old knife from Norway
DSC01880.JPG

Pullrich, you've been cleaning up, my man. Nice scores. I've heard this pattern called a "mast axe." Does anyone know what this is all about?????? Sweet axe, Sir.

About the Norwegian knife...any maker's ID??? Looks like good times!

Since you bumped this thread Pullrich, I'll join in. I did have a long post before the forum logged me out, including the story of me accidentally running into a drugged up meth addict at a yard sale (while hunting axes), but I digress.

Three weeks worth of finds.
dzezgg.jpg

2r6mxb7.jpg

Two Plumb Victories (one being a mint Rockway), the same plumb hatchet you found except in worse shape, Council Railsplitter, Swedish bush axe, Flint Edge Boys Axe, Modern but still USA Snow and Nealley, a first year Snow and Nealley Chinese Head. Check out the weird profile.
rsdlzo.jpg

Now the double bit is probably a mistake. I've wanted a cruiser for so long, I couldn't resist it after I saw the profile. The problem is the "Made in China" stamp, along with the soft steel. I can't decide whether or not to hang it. Profile...
2hyja87.jpg

Edit: What do you guys think? Hang or not?

I've heard this pattern called a "mast axe." Does anyone know what this is all about?????? Sweet axe, Sir.

It's a hewing axe. It is what you would/could use to make beams or a "Mast" for a ship.

BTW, Council Tool just started offering them. I got too many toys right now, but I'd love to see someone post a review on one of'em from Council.

Last edited:
Crazyotter,
you say the Chinese double has soft steel?
are you sure,i mean did you test it? i have a few Chinese bits and the steel has been really hardened.
just wondered
nice haul btw

buzz

It's a hewing axe. It is what you would/could use to make beams or a "Mast" for a ship.

BTW, Council Tool just started offering them. I got too many toys right now, but I'd love to see someone post a review on one of'em from Council.

Those do look pretty interesting. I wonder how versatile they are...

@ Memphis and Samurai, thanks for the ID, the axe came from the shop of an old norwegian boat maker (he was born 1882, died I dunno when) so it makes sense now. The old knife was his and looks like it was put together by him..... no makers mark on the blade but it's still rusty so maybe something will pop out when I clean it up.

Back