Let's see your yard sale/flea market finds

Wow! Awesome finds as ever gents.

They just don't have these kinda yard sales in Blighty....then again, we don't really have these kinda axes either :cool:

MyDogs - That's a good looking sheath. Nice work.

MyDogsHunt, nice to see you back in the axe forum!! How was your hunting this past year?

Nice Plumb cruiser! How heavy is it? I gave away my Plumb cruiser to my Dad, and haven't found one since. I have landed a couple other cruisers though.

Take care,

Matt

That's a great find and price, Outdoor. Cleaned up and sharpened I'll bet it stays near to top of your 'users' pile.

I love my Collins boys axe. I had it out in the field yesterday, used it to limb up some branches we cleared. It really packs a punch for a small axe. And someone may question my integrity for saying this but yes, it still shaves the hair off my arm quite nicely after the admittedly light workout. Very hard steel. Mine was a bugger to file. Thankfully it didn't need much. Looks like yours won't need much either.

Thanks Square_peg, yeah the edge is pretty good and has a nice profile already, it is hard, only my old Plumb double is harder. Here's a few more shots as I'm getting closer to the finished result. A little more rust removal and a final sharpening and I'll pretty much be done I think

7351709540_ee1306f3d0_b.jpg

7351709582_f84725f351_b.jpg

7166499983_bcf781034e_b.jpg

7166500015_d77c72d69f_b.jpg

7166500069_a7874952e3_b.jpg

7166500121_3d746503b8_b.jpg

It's not as nice as yours but it will make for a good bush axe.

That's a great find and price, Outdoor. Cleaned up and sharpened I'll bet it stays near to top of your 'users' pile.

I love my Collins boys axe. I had it out in the field yesterday, used it to limb up some branches we cleared. It really packs a punch for a small axe. And someone may question my integrity for saying this but yes, it still shaves the hair off my arm quite nicely after the admittedly light workout. Very hard steel. Mine was a bugger to file. Thankfully it didn't need much. Looks like yours won't need much either.

I don't really think anyone will question your integrity for that. Shaving hairs is one thing. "Popping" hairs is a whole different animal. An axe that will shave hairs after a couple hours work out is impressive, no doubt. An axe that will pop hairs after a couple hours workout is practically miraculous. I think the difference of opinions lands on what "popping hairs" means. Normally, it means that the edge is so sharp and fine that it will grab ahold of hairs and "pop" them right in two when moved across a hair unsupported (ie a quarter inch away from your skin).

Last edited:
MyDogs - That's a good looking sheath. Nice work.
Thanks scruffuk
I'm rerally a novice when it comes to leatherwork, but I'm learning.

MyDogsHunt, nice to see you back in the axe forum!! How was your hunting this past year?

Nice Plumb cruiser! How heavy is it? I gave away my Plumb cruiser to my Dad, and haven't found one since. I have landed a couple other cruisers though.

Take care,

Matt

Hey Matt
The head weighs 3.2lbs according to the vegetable scale at our local market. Course I had it in a paper sack, so it's probably a tich under that. :D

Bird Hunting was great this year (especially Grouse emm yummy!) but the Cat hunting was pretty slow due to a lack of snow. Being an old foot hunter fresh snow's vital, and unfortunatly mother nature deceided to wait untill Cat season was over before sending any of the white stuff our way.
We did manage to put this nice 42" Tom up though.
012.jpg

Fortunatly Cat prices are still high so we were able to pay the property taxes and buy a little dog food.
Sure hope we do better next year. ;)
Charlie
PS,,, I love that cruiser. Wouldn't trade it for a box full of sweedish stuff. :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks scruffuk
I'm rerally a novice when it comes to leatherwork, but I'm learning.

Hey Matt
The head weighs 3.2lbs according to the vegetable scale at our local market. Course I had it in a paper sack, so it's probably a tich under that. :D

Bird Hunting was great this year (especially Grouse emm yummy!) but the Cat hunting was pretty slow due to a lack of snow. Being an old foot hunter fresh snow's vital, and unfortunatly mother nature deceided to wait untill Cat season was over before sending any of the white stuff our way.
We did manage to put this nice 42" Tom up though.
012.jpg

Fortunatly Cat prices are still high so we were able to pay the property taxes and buy a little dog food.
Sure hope we do better next year. ;)
Charlie
PS,,, I love that cruiser. Wouldn't trade it for a box full of sweedish stuff. :eek:

Right on, Mr. Charlie. That cat's a beauty. I'll hope for more snow this year with you.

Hey Mike,

Nice haul, brother! I'd sure like to see more of the Connecticut, the unhung hatchet next to it, and the side hatchet. Pretty please???

You mean the Keen Kutter Connecticut? LOL

Yes....I want one....trade for a Kelly A&T Charleston WVa true Rockaway pattern???????????????????? :D

ETA: Ehhhhhh, am I supposed to say that on the forum board??

Last edited:
That's ok- I don't really want to find out.

LOL its all ok my friend just playing around. I saw a guy carrying an axe at the one flea market I was at, talked with him a while. The one dealer had a couple hatchets I bought, and he showed me a Plumb Victory DB he bought earlier in the day for $10. So we talked axes for awhile. Told and heard some tall tales, and had fun, thats what it is about.

evil-bay is kinda' like a flea market right and I just couldn't resist a gold axe:

$(KGrHqMOKjUE5Rgp,4WeBOVk)i33wg~~48_12.JPG

wow what a hunk of shit. fun to look at though. the top is really weird with plastic inserts?

Last edited:
Even in the suburbs we have some good finds now and then. I found this beauty under some old oil cans.
This pic was taken after I brushed off the rat turds and cockroach eggs
DSC01870.JPG

And this one behind some shelves
DSC01876.JPG

The entire haul
DSC01878.JPG

I left behind 4-5 other axes.
I arrived shortly after it opened and some old dude was already walking away with a couple of nice looking Pugets. :(

BTW..... can this thread be stickied?

Back