nczauGg.jpg
2coY0VQ.jpg
7gJqIsU.jpg
R9Pmy4Y.jpg
u8Iu0Te.jpg
CHNa7GU.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
sorta creeps me out when you stare at me from your knife blade. When I move side to side, your eye follows me...

sorta creeps me out when you stare at me from your knife blade. When I move side to side, your eye follows me...

LOL...just don't get too mesmerized and drop the blade, you'll need stitches or worse lose part of a digit!!

That 5.1 with the orange g-10 is my knife that you sharpened I believe. Got to use it for a lot of kitchen duty while up north last weekend and it slices really nice compared to my other similar sized knives.

That 5.1 with the orange g-10 is my knife that you sharpened I believe. Got to use it for a lot of kitchen duty while up north last weekend and it slices really nice compared to my other similar sized knives.
Yup that one is yours, had a3.5, 4.1, and 10 come in last week. That 20cv shined up real nice.

Newer spec gso's (old spec, but Newer production like with wide lanyard hole) are better slicers than that of the old. They're much thinner behind the edge.

What are your thoughts on sharpening the 20CV vs the 3V Bobby? I've done lots of 3V, but I can only remember one M390, and it wasn't on my radar then to pay attention to it.

Yea it was easier to reprofile and polish by a small margin.

Why would 3V be harder to sharpen than 20CV?
Survive runs them at comparable hardness and the 20CV has a much higher carbide content.
Does the 20CV simply polish up better?

Why would 3V be harder to sharpen than 20CV?
Survive runs them at comparable hardness and the 20CV has a much higher carbide content.
Does the 20CV simply polish up better?
Reprofiling 20cv just goes by quicker than 3v slightly, and takes a polish easier.

I don't know about the ease of sharpening them either, but I can tell you that right out of the box the F-2nd GSO 5.1 in 20CV was the sharpest as compared to any 3V and the CruForgeV was the least sharp. This is just an observation based on letting the blade cut photocopy and thing phone book paper. However, simple stropping of the 3Vs and the CFV steel using BRKT white compound on the Flexxx Strop paddle brought them all to almost par in terms of paper cutting test.

Not sure if this is relevant to this discussion but Guy once told me that he can get 20cv sharper than 3v at least 2 years ago. I don't know if that is the case now but I think he said something about the grain of the metal?

I can't really tell a difference in sharpeness at the levels i took em. I just know my time spent reprofiling was about 5-10 minutes faster than 3v, then to get it to a high Polish was easier than 3v.

I had the above discussion with him when I bought one of my 5.1s and picked it up in G-burg. At the time, again over 2 years ago, he said he could make 20cv sharper. Since he's changed his sharpening angle and can get anything crazy sharp this statement may not be true anymore. However he recently told me that the new heat treat 20cv is wearing out his belts faster, so maybe the new heat treat makes a littler harder? I don't know but I'd be curious to see how it sharpens verses the old heat treat 20cv and 3v. I guess I need to get a wicked edge sharpener and continue to get better on diamond stones.

I will say that the new Cru Forge V is a JOY to sharpen on a strop. It's similar to 01 and really polishes nicely. I can't wait to a CFV 5.1.

Has anyone taken advantage of Survives sharpening service? I would like to send my 4.1 in for a fresh edge but haven't heard back. Safe to say they're probably crazy busy, just wondering if anybody's had any experience with the service.

Back