Lets talk GEC!

Don't get me wrong, given the chance I would gladly buy one in bone, but I will be happy enough seeing fellow members pics of theirs :cool::thumbsup:

I like the bolster on the 2AB. Just last week I was wishing GEC would make an upscale version of the Schrade 206, now here we are. If only the 2AB had antique ivory bone scales.....

edit: just saw the impending natural bone option. That sounds really promising.

I like the bolster on the 2AB. Just last week I was wishing GEC would make an upscale version of the Schrade 206, now here we are. If only the 2AB had antique ivory bone scales.....

edit: just saw the impending natural bone option. That sounds really promising.

Natural bone would be nice too, but OD Green Micarta with the oak leaf is perfect! 😉👍

How come no one is bitching about the recurve on the clip blade this time around? Because it was never really an issue to begin with? Or are recurves forgiven on barlows?

✋ I still don’t like the recurve on that clip blade.

I hadn’t seen the complaints on the original recurved 86, but I thought I’d noticed it in the mock-ups of the original run and this one and it did turn me off, especially considering the proximity to the 93’s.

I don’t personally understand the purpose, and I’m a little concerned it’s going to make sharpening a little tricky, but I’m willing to give it a chance. I just get the impression that I’ll end up sharpening until it’s flat to be able to actually sharpen the apex in the recurve.

it just seems to me that one of the functions of the choil is to help prevent recurve after repeated sharpening, and this blade starts out with one… feels wrong… but surely there’s a reason for it?

I hadn’t seen the complaints on the original recurved 86, but I thought I’d noticed it in the mock-ups of the original run and this one and it did turn me off, especially considering the proximity to the 93’s.

I don’t personally understand the purpose, and I’m a little concerned it’s going to make sharpening a little tricky, but I’m willing to give it a chance. I just get the impression that I’ll end up sharpening until it’s flat to be able to actually sharpen the apex in the recurve.

it just seems to me that one of the functions of the choil is to help prevent recurve after repeated sharpening, and this blade starts out with one… feels wrong… but surely there’s a reason for it?
It is very slight and it has not affected me in sharpening. Which is probably why there is less being made of it this time around. You and I sharpen to a different standard so YMMV.

My point was more to the over analysis of knives here on the Forum before they are finished or you have one in hand. (2AB bolsters). To Camillus Camillus 's point, it is the internet, it's not a matter of if there will be complaining just a matter of when.

This^^^ I have walked away from some Beautiful knives because they were Recurve Blades. I have a Coffee can with recurve grinding boo-boos because they don't belong on a blade this size.

Hey all! Does anyone know how to get on the list for the GEC #86 Spring Street Barlow BF knife? Or am I way too late? Thanks!

Hey all! Does anyone know how to get on the list for the GEC #86 Spring Street Barlow BF knife? Or am I way too late? Thanks!
You are probably a little late my friend . Watch for drops and good luck to you .
Edited to add : I guess I mis-read your question .
Watch close for the order thread that will be coming up soon .

Harry

How come no one is bitching about the recurve on the clip blade this time around? Because it was never really an issue to begin with? Or are recurves forgiven on barlows?
I bitched about the recurve on the first 86, because to me that detail was sight unseen until i peeled it out of the wax paper. Now i know better with this pattern and will humbly pass on them.

Back