Lets talk GEC!

So is the 78 basically a 79 with the main flipped to the other side?

Both are 3.75" with the 79 having the main on the wide end and 78 on the narrow end. Both have a slightly tapered frame.

ETA: pics for reference.
781214ec-African-Blackwood1.jpg 792213-Ebony-wood1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know, Bill. I would have to have both patterns in my hand to make an accurate judgement but using only pictures as a guide, the wide end of the 79 looks a little wider than the wide end of the 78.

I don't know, Bill. I would have to have both patterns in my hand to make an accurate judgement but using only pictures as a guide, the wide end of the 79 looks a little wider than the wide end of the 78.
pattern.

I totally agree, I would have to have both a 78 and a 79 in my hand to determine whether or not they are the same. Anyone want to send me a 79..lol I have been looking for a 79 for quite some time, love that
pattern. IS it true that the 79 is the pattern that the Norhtwoods Freemont Jack is based on?

Who also likes the variations of Acrylic Tortoise over the last several years?
2009 to 2015

I like the red flecks in the top two!

If we're talking acrylic I think my top two wish list ones are sunbrite and coffee house. Neither of which I own but from the photos they really just give me the proper vibe. The only acrylic I do have is a beer scout in tortoise shell like the one here.

Yeah, that Tortoise Acrylic, with red flecks in it, was in short supply at GEC, back a few years ago. Wish they had more but apparently it was very limited.

I'll wait for the 85 Bullet End Jack. I will probably be waiting a while! With the huge production schedule on these 78s, they will be around. What 8 or so SFOs? There is even a Tidoute SFO. And that is not to mention the non SFOs.

That tortoise shell acrylic is good looking, Perry. :thumbsup:

I notice that I hardly ever see anyone post pictures of GECs in Glitter Gold acrylic. I guess it wasn't a popular handle material, but I think if they ever brought it back, I'd have to get something in it. :D

That tortoise shell acrylic is good looking, Perry. :thumbsup:

I notice that I hardly ever see anyone post pictures of GECs in Glitter Gold acrylic. I guess it wasn't a popular handle material, but I think if they ever brought it back, I'd have to get something in it. :D

It would actually seem that GEC acrylics in general are pretty under appreciated, I rarely see pictures of any really, though the Tortoise Shell seems to come up more frequently. Despite it not really being my preferred cover material, I have seen some very striking examples, especially ones that contain reds and blacks. I saw one called Lava some time ago and I thought it looked amazing.

IMG_2597.jpg~original

For r8shell and Dylan: some favorite acrylics.

This was an SFO for Painted Pony, called Nighthawk Micapearl.
nighthawkmicapearlcomp_zps66feecef.jpg~original

Blue Denim, Cracked Marble, Blue Oyster
UniqueAcrylics.jpg~original

Fall Harvest, Lava Lamp, Kryptonite
SwirlAcrylics.jpg~original

Patriot
PatriotCuban_zpsc21e022f.jpg~original

Tortoise (the rarer original release)
Tortoise61_zps02c3c935.jpg~original

Coffee House
3628a0ff-3410-45e0-9de0-20523dcd0fd9_zpsu45xfp57.jpg~original

Yes, the Fremont is a 79.

Here's a link to GEC's production totals. They didn't list patterns for 2016, but for prior years they list all the SFOs that were made (including Northwoods) and what patterns the knives are based on. It's interesting if you haven't checked it out yet:/

Wow, that is cool, I have searched here for a reference to Northwoods GEC model numbers and never found one. I have also looked at the GEC production totals before and never noticed the GEC model number, thanks for calling that out.

Patriot

Coffee House
Beautiful collection Jeff.

Thanks, Alan. Funny thing about the acrylics is, I love to look at them and collect them, but I hardly ever carry one. Natural materials like stag, horn, bone and wood get the pocket time.

The only acrylics I have are the 83, 15, and 66 in tortoise shell. All are recent and I carry and use them sparingly. If I had yours they'd only get photographed.

Patriot

Coffee House

What a great lineup! I'm especially drawn to the tortoise shell congress. Very nice!

Back