Lets talk GEC!

When I started buying, using and collecting GEC around '09 you could go to ck.net and peruse GECs offerings back to the beginning. In almost all of the handle coverings to boot.

Recently a member commented that several years ago he wanted to purchase a TC Barlow, and the Scratted Bone Ancient Barlow was the only one "readily available", if I recall the posting correctly.

Hard for me to wrap my mind around that! Today, 50 or 100 of those would be reserved and sold out in less than a couple of minutes. Witness Rob's Heartland Clip in December of last year; 50 gone in 15 seconds.

Production numbers are something I rarely look at, but they are interesting, so maybe I should pay more attention to them. I like the trend of some models having lots available, so everyone can have one (Calf Ropers) while there are still plenty of collectibles (Unicorn Horn 25 or the White Acrylic and Green Bone 48s from the Rendezvous) to satisfy the adrenaline junkie.

In today's environment, I'm for whatever business model allows GEC to stay profitable, employ craftsmen and offer us a high-end, locally made product at a fair price!

What is your end game here? Are you trying to say that GEC should only produce TC/NF Barlows? Are you saying that GEC was wrong to produce so many Beer Scouts? I'm just not sure what your point is here.
All I said was that the Beer Scout can be had. People chimed in and I responded. Do not be sensitive. I am just making talking points. What is wrong? Do not over think all that I am saying. It is all good. Just talking points and keeping it real.

Recently a member commented that several years ago he wanted to purchase a TC Barlow, and the Scratted Bone Ancient Barlow was the only one "readily available", if I recall the posting correctly.

Hard for me to wrap my mind around that! Today, 50 or 100 of those would be reserved and sold out in less than a couple of minutes. Witness Rob's Heartland Clip in December of last year; 50 gone in 15 seconds.

Production numbers are something I rarely look at, but they are interesting, so maybe I should pay more attention to them. I like the trend of some models having lots available, so everyone can have one (Calf Ropers) while there are still plenty of collectibles (Unicorn Horn 25 or the White Acrylic and Green Bone 48s from the Rendezvous) to satisfy the adrenaline junkie.

In today's environment, I'm for whatever business model allows GEC to stay profitable, employ craftsmen and offer us a high-end, locally made product at a fair price!
Way to go Rat!!!! God you said that so nicely!! Great talking points and thanks!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

But.... We are here to talk specifically about knives themselves and the Beer Scout is a fine tradition slippy. I do not use the caplifter. No more beers for me. Ha ha. And the screwdriver?? Nah.

The last two pages didn't make much sense to me until I remembered that some matters are best Ignored. :D

(I logged out and re-read to confirm.)

One of the Calf-pokey #35s would be really cool as a single-blade, single-spring knife with just the wharncliffe, no liner lock, and the frame-liner screwdriver. :thumbsup:

I'm irrationally tempted by the green linen iteration as it stands. :eek:

~ P.

The last two pages didn't make much sense to me until I remembered that some matters are best Ignored. :D

One of the Calf-pokey #35s would be really cool as a single-blade, single-spring knife with just the wharncliffe, no liner lock, and the frame-liner screwdriver. :thumbsup:

~ P.

I've actually really enjoyed my green linen 35... I'm glad I took the chance on it.

~ P.
Yeah the Green linen micarta is the one I chose too and I do like it. If I do need a screwdriver in a pinch, this one seems to be too recessed to work. This is one hefty and solid knife!

That's great! I haven't seen many pictures of them in the wild, yet, but my attention is drawn every time I do. :thumbsup:

~ P.

I've got some pics up at post 10003 in this thread. At first I thought it wasn't going to work for me, but it's solid feel and unique features has pushed this one into my pocket several times since I received it!

I've got some pics up at post 10003 in this thread. At first I thought it wasn't going to work for me, but it's solid feel and unique features has pushed this one into my pocket several times since I received it!

Good stuff! Thanks for the redirect. I do remember seeing those, now; your blade comparisons are especially helpful.

All the same, my 'in the wild' is almost literal. I struggle to determine real-life scale through direct pictures. Features, yes, overall scale, not as much -- even if compared with another known knife! On the other hand, I often learn a lot quickly, if accidentally, when glimpsing a knife out and about, with more visual context. Knives that may not otherwise catch my attention have been known to capture me unawares in such a manner.

Short answer: I hope to see more pictures, here, there, and everywhere. Or perhaps I should hope not to...? Hmmm. o_O

Regarding your post reference, I recently discovered that the new software has a very cool link-sharing feature built in, and this seems as good a place as any to share it.

Whenever someone wants to reference a specific post via a link (vs. quoting it to bring it forward), click on its Post # in the upper right:

link.png~original

A window will pop up with a pair of link options. Highlight and copy the bottom link as shown here:
link%20II.png~original

Paste it into your new message, and voila:

Lets talk GEC!

If you would like to change the text that will appear in your post, you can do so by editing the words between the brackets here (I've added tags to prevent the links from 'working,' so everyone can see the formatting):

[URL="https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/lets-talk-gec.1081593/page-501#post-17448107"]Lets talk GEC![/URL]

Where it says "Let's talk GEC!" (these links always grab the title from the thread they're in), change it to "post 10003":

[URL="https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/lets-talk-gec.1081593/page-501#post-17448107"]post 10003[/URL]

Which I can then use in your sentence, above:

"I've got some pics up at post 10003 in this thread."

It has always been possible to create links like this manually, but it's pretty cool that the software now makes it so much easier. :cool:

~ P.

But.... We are here to talk specifically about knives themselves and the Beer Scout is a fine tradition slippy. I do not use the caplifter. No more beers for me. Ha ha. And the screwdriver?? Nah.

Yes it is in the Traditional mould. But it's rather bizarre that you would buy one if you have no use for openers (plenty of soft drinks still have caps in Europe, Cider too) or screwdrivers....o_O

My EDC combo lately has been a Crown Lifter (bone) and a modern folder (rhymes with French maid slug snout) but I was determined to give the Calf Pen jack a good honest try.

So out goes the 15, and after tying a nice lanyard on the CPJ, I threw it in the left front pocket. Now the VERY 1ST TIME I fished that knife out of my pocket by the lanyard, the one arm blade hooked on my pocket and I had a knife dangling in my hand with a half open blade.

Now, I don't want to carry a work knife in a pocket slip. And I obviously need to be more careful. But to say my enthusiasm for this new pattern has cooled considerably would be an understatement. The little hook protrusion is much more "porcupine-like" than I gave it credit for prior to handling. Winky face.

Good stuff! Thanks for the redirect. I do remember seeing those, now; your blade comparisons are especially helpful.

All the same, my 'in the wild' is almost literal. I struggle to determine real-life scale through direct pictures. Features, yes, overall scale, not as much -- even if compared with another known knife! On the other hand, I often learn a lot quickly, if accidentally, when glimpsing a knife out and about, with more visual context. Knives that may not otherwise catch my attention have been known to capture me unawares in such a manner.

Short answer: I hope to see more pictures, here, there, and everywhere. Or perhaps I should hope not to...? Hmmm. o_O

Regarding your post reference, I recently discovered that the new software has a very cool link-sharing feature built in, and this seems as good a place as any to share it.

Whenever someone wants to reference a specific post via a link (vs. quoting it to bring it forward), click on its Post # in the upper right:

link.png~original

A window will pop up with a pair of link options. Highlight and copy the bottom link as shown here:
link%20II.png~original

Paste it into your new message, and voila:

Lets talk GEC!

If you would like to change the text that will appear in your post, you can do so by editing the words between the brackets here (I've added tags to prevent the links from 'working,' so everyone can see the formatting):

[URL="https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/lets-talk-gec.1081593/page-501#post-17448107"]Lets talk GEC![/URL]

Where it says "Let's talk GEC!" (these links always grab the title from the thread they're in), change it to "post 10003":

[URL="https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/lets-talk-gec.1081593/page-501#post-17448107"]post 10003[/URL]

Which I can then use in your sentence, above:

"I've got some pics up at post 10003 in this thread."

It has always been possible to create links like this manually, but it's pretty cool that the software now makes it so much easier. :cool:

~ P.

I didn't know that either, Sarah. Thanks for the how-to, I'll use that in the future.

Yes it is in the Traditional mould. But it's rather bizarre that you would buy one if you have no use for openers (plenty of soft drinks still have caps in Europe, Cider too) or screwdrivers....o_O

Bizarre? Not at all. I did not say that I would never use. I just said I do not use. I am sure many people own this knife and do not use the caplifter on a daily basis. Not using it would not prevent me from buying. I just made a general comment about it. I very much liked the Cocobolo on the Beer Scout and the sheepsfoot is probably my favorite. Yeah, here in the States, most soft drinks are in cans. Although you can still get Coca Cola and Pepsi in a bottle with cap.
How about you? Did you buy it for the caplifter to pop beers?

My EDC combo lately has been a Crown Lifter (bone) and a modern folder (rhymes with French maid slug snout) but I was determined to give the Calf Pen jack a good honest try.

So out goes the 15, and after tying a nice lanyard on the CPJ, I threw it in the left front pocket. Now the VERY 1ST TIME I fished that knife out of my pocket by the lanyard, the one arm blade hooked on my pocket and I had a knife dangling in my hand with a half open blade.

Now, I don't want to carry a work knife in a pocket slip. And I obviously need to be more careful. But to say my enthusiasm for this new pattern has cooled considerably would be an understatement. The little hook protrusion is much more "porcupine-like" than I gave it credit for prior to handling. Winky face.
You must have really pulled hard to get it out of your pocket. It has a very strong pull. It takes some effort to open that one arm secondary on mine.

You must have really pulled hard to get it out of your pocket. It has a very strong pull. It takes some effort to open that one arm secondary on mine.
Well, I didn't yank on it like it like I was starting a chainsaw or lawnmower or anything.

I pulled it out of my pocket and the blade opened when I didn't want it to. It is, to some extent, designed to open in that fashion. I will have to carry it some more, I suppose to really gain an appreciation for, and get a handle on, it's quirks. For now, I'm sticking with the crown lifter.

Personally, I always thought the Beer Scout had too much knife and not enough cap lifter. :D

C3zFYaI.jpg

I had a single-blade #15 One Arm Opener for a while, and carried it once or twice. I never had that happen, but that pokey little protrusion jabbed me in the fingers a couple times while reaching in my pocket, and I think it could probably tear a hole in your pocket if you carried one long enough. (Heck, I've heard people complain about knives with square bolsters wearing holes in their pockets, and that pokey doodad is a lot sharper than a square-bolstered Case stockman.)

Back