Lets talk GEC!

I like those ideas. I would add a few more. The 06’s and 26’s are small knives that have developed a following and would sell well with another run. A larger coke bottle pattern at 3.5-3.75 inches closed would be nice; basically a larger Pemberton. I’d also like to see a real canoe pattern similar to Case’s Canoe at 3.5-3.75 inches closed.

I haven't seen one in person, but according to their site, GEC's #16 Little Indian Girl Canoe is 3 1/2" closed. Looks a little slimmer than Case's Canoe, but otherwise it should be similar in size. (Case's Canoe is 3 5/8" closed.) I would definitely like to have a Canoe from GEC. I'd also love to see them do the #21 Bull Buster again, or another run of F&F #99 Farmer Locks. A GEC Lambsfoot would be great, too. :D

More 15s ... meh. Sign me up for a big cigar. A sowbelly would be awesome. A large trapper or muskrat with a wharncliffe and a spear or drop point. Another tasty two-bladed, single-spring thing now that I've tried the Churchill ... another Workhorse ....

I haven't seen one in person, but according to their site, GEC's #16 Little Indian Girl Canoe is 3 1/2" closed. Looks a little slimmer than Case's Canoe, but otherwise it should be similar in size. (Case's Canoe is 3 5/8" closed.) I would definitely like to have a Canoe from GEC. I'd also love to see them do the #21 Bull Buster again, or another run of F&F #99 Farmer Locks. A GEC Lambsfoot would be great, too. :D
I have seen a few GEC #16 Canoes that I would like to have, but these are not a traditional Canoe pattern. GEC’s #16 version is too skinny.

This may not be the best place, but I figured it's as good as place as any(it's a GEC), but I dropped my 73 about 4 feet onto carpet and for some odd reason the action on the primary blade is gritty as hell. The secondary blade is still super smooth, but the primary blade acts like its grinding on something, either the liner or the spring itself I can't tell. I'm hoping someone might have an idea on what to do next, tried working the blade back and forth to force whatever(if anything) got stuck, even oiled it but alas, no such luck.

Any advice would be great. I wouldn't expect a fall that low and soft to cause any problem, let alone something like this.

This may not be the best place, but I figured it's as good as place as any(it's a GEC), but I dropped my 73 about 4 feet onto carpet and for some odd reason the action on the primary blade is gritty as hell. The secondary blade is still super smooth, but the primary blade acts like its grinding on something, either the liner or the spring itself I can't tell. I'm hoping someone might have an idea on what to do next, tried working the blade back and forth to force whatever(if anything) got stuck, even oiled it but alas, no such luck.

Any advice would be great. I wouldn't expect a fall that low and soft to cause any problem, let alone something like this.

It’s probably just something caught in between the spring and the tang. Also probably coincidence with the drop. I’ve had it happen before. You just have to try and flush it out, either oil or compressed air. Try opening it part way spraying WD40 into the tang area, close it and wipe clean. Repeat. Try different blade positions if necessary. Toothpick can be helpful too. One time it was just a whisker from one of the dogs that required tweezers but it had the blade almost not moveable! Funny how most of the time you can get a knife covered in mud, woodchips, drop in crud and it still functions flawlessly. Then one time it’s the tiniest piece of something f*#@$ it all up!

It’s probably just something caught in between the spring and the tang. Also probably coincidence with the drop. I’ve had it happen before. You just have to try and flush it out, either oil or compressed air. Try opening it part way spraying WD40 into the tang area, close it and wipe clean. Repeat. Try different blade positions if necessary. Toothpick can be helpful too. One time it was just a whisker from one of the dogs that required tweezers but it had the blade almost not moveable! Funny how most of the time you can get a knife covered in mud, woodchips, drop in crud and it still functions flawlessly. Then one time it’s the tiniest piece of something f*#@$ it all up!

Yeah it's kind of ridiculous, haha. That's what I figured as well, and I've tried spraying compressed air down behind the blade, tried sticking a toothpick in to scrap away at whatever is down there at just about every position possible(the grit helps with that!), but it actually got worse, so I have a feeling that's what it is.

My last resort was gonna be WD40, so if I can figure it out tonight I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Yeah it's kind of ridiculous, haha. That's what I figured as well, and I've tried spraying compressed air down behind the blade, tried sticking a toothpick in to scrap away at whatever is down there at just about every position possible(the grit helps with that!), but it actually got worse, so I have a feeling that's what it is.

My last resort was gonna be WD40, so if I can figure it out tonight I'll give that a shot tomorrow.
If you have someone that can assist, have them spray continuously while you move the knife and blade. Then wipe it off and apply whatever oil you like. WD40 won’t hurt anything, won’t stain the handles but it’s not very good as a lubricant.

If you have someone that can assist, have them spray continuously while you move the knife and blade. Then wipe it off and apply whatever oil you like. WD40 won’t hurt anything, won’t stain the handles but it’s not very good as a lubricant.

I'll be sure to wrangle someone up to help, haha. Thank you for the advice, though! I wouldn't of thought to have someone do that for me, I figure I'd spray, move it around a bit, spray some more and so forth. Your method would help with getting whatever it is dislodged a bit easier.

I like those ideas. I would add a few more. The 06’s and 26’s are small knives that have developed a following and would sell well with another run. A larger coke bottle pattern at 3.5-3.75 inches closed would be nice; basically a larger Pemberton. I’d also like to see a real canoe pattern similar to Case’s Canoe at 3.5-3.75 inches closed.

Oh man, I’d be digging a full sized Canoe from GEC!

I had to put one in a vice (locked down the blade) spray and work the handle carefully back and forth to loosen it up. My intent with WD 40 is not to lube it, rather to dissolve crud and blast crud out. Have to clean it up afterward and then lube with proper stuff.

Lot of good requests from all, I hope they run some of the smaller patterns also.
Another run of the 66 slims would be nice too, I'm partial to single spring equal end knives

I'll be sure to wrangle someone up to help, haha. Thank you for the advice, though! I wouldn't of thought to have someone do that for me, I figure I'd spray, move it around a bit, spray some more and so forth. Your method would help with getting whatever it is dislodged a bit easier.
Have you tried the hot clean dishwashing water in the sink open and closing technique yet?
It always works on my old 15 scout when the action gets sluggy.
Of course dry thoroughly and oil after.

Hey, GEC, how about something similar to this?? Great combination of blades. The nick on that clip could be improved, but that would be child's play. Think about it over some beers.

TEW_LF_Barlow_3-1.jpg

Back