Lets talk GEC!

And you know what I learned in 2018 with all this knife purchasing:

1. I can only carry one knife at a time....at least me anyway.

2. I tend to fall in love with one knife and don’t want to do An edc rotation.

3. I love the chase more than the item itself.

4. I get super excited for the knife on early reserve and tend to not care three months later when it’s ready....LOL

Now where is that 2013 TC Barlow that I want to overpay for!

4. I get super excited for the knife on early reserve and tend to not care three months later when it’s ready....LOL

I am exactly the opposite :)

I had a pretty good system of liking oddball patterns, but now they’re starting to fetch Barlow money on the Bay!

I also wanted to say that I think the 97 is a beautiful pattern. Coke bottle shaped knives are cool. But I would need suspenders on my dress slacks to carry that sucker around in my office.

When I misbehaved as a child my parents would tell me to straighten up or else they would put me up for adoption like they did my older brother. So my question is: are you my long lost older brother? :D

I've had the same knife in my pocket since last January.

When I misbehaved as a child my parents would tell me to straighten up or else they would put me up for adoption like they did my older brother. So my question is: are you my long lost older brother? :D

I've had the same knife in my pocket since last January.

Good Grief -- That's absolutely hysterical !!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My stomach hurts and my eyes are watering from laughing! :D

- Del

JEllqMd.jpg

Will, what's the fixed blade in this picture?

Here's my latest GEC addition. This one hits a few firsts for me that I think make it kind of exciting. It's my first GEC liner lock, my first left-handed knife (GEC or otherwise), and I believe this is now the earliest GEC knife that I own (2009).

5VCfBhh.jpg

pXFcD5Y.jpg

A few thoughts on this knife:
  • I love the way it feels in hand. I suppose it's the additional liner that gives it a little extra weight. Whatever it is, it feels nice and substantial, without being too large in any way.
  • Excellent fit, finish, walk and talk. This would have been GEC's third year in business, and they were already killing it. F&F on this knife is on par with the best GEC knives I've handled. The action was a little stiff when I first got it, but a couple drops of mineral oil in the joint and it's smooth and snappy.
  • This is my first #73, and I really like the shape of the drop point. I love GEC's #71 Bull Buster, but the blade on this #73 has the added advantage of being a bit pointier.
  • I know GEC's locking knives have gotten a bad rap in the past, so I was a bit hesitant picking up such an early example, but this thing locks up solid. Absolutely no up-and-down blade movement, and to be honest, I can't perceive any side-to-side play (although the seller thought it had just a slight bit).
  • For some reason I didn't expect this knife to have a half stop. It does.
  • I should clarify, I suppose, that I'm not actually left-handed. I've just always been curious about these knives, and intrigued by how they look like a mirror image of a "normal" knife. I was a little worried that using this knife might be inconvenient for a right-handed person, but I don't think it'll be an issue at all. It's pretty easy to open this knife like you would a secondary blade on a two-blade jack where the nail nicks are on opposite sides. No trouble operating the liner lock, either; in fact, for a knife that you'll be closing with two hands, I think I might actually prefer the direction in which this liner lock works.
I picked this one up on a bit of a whim, and I'm glad I did. It has definitely surprised me, and I think it even has potential to become a favorite. :thumbsup:

When I chose a spot for it in my knife cabinet last night, it happened to be right next to this #74. Not exactly a mirror image, but I thought they looked kind of cool together.

vZTJT2q.jpg
When I read this I had to run and look in the safe to make sure my lefty was still there! I had two identical twins NIT. Harry now has one of them! I better call that rascal to make sure he didn’t sell his! :eek: The bone on these were some of the nicest they have done! Congratulations Barrett! :D

Will, what's the fixed blade in this picture?

Hello and thanks, it's a Chinese made Böker Pocket Bowie- Tom Krein grind. Very well made tough carry that's a useful small fixed. Not sure if it's still made though as I got it 6 years or more back.

Since I got my #82 in Stag from this 2018 run I've been meaning to post here. This is another one I wasn't at all sure I'd be able to get my hands on. I ended up getting this one unexpectedly. Thankfully I was able to pick from a dealer that had pictures for each knife, as I don't love every kind of stag. I like stag that isn't too thick that it makes it uncomfortable to carry, but isn't too thin or flat that it doesn't have much character. I got to pick one that, in my opinion, really hits a sweet spot.

5IHN48cl.jpg

9pXsamVl.jpg

I really like the stag on this knife. I really appreciate the lack of a shield. I like some shields, like the arrowhead on the copperhead jigging on the 2018 run, but generally I can do without. It is made really well. The blades are fit nearly perfectly into the handle, definitely better on the 2018 than on the 2014. I find it difficult to believe that there's NO blade rub on ANY of these considering how well the blades are fit on mine and that there is still some light blade rub. The pull and snap are a little lighter, more of a 4 on the secondaries and 5 on the main versus a 5 on the secondaries and 6 on the main blade on the 2014 version. I really like that the tips are nowhere near proud on the 2018 version.

I got great service from GEC and specifically Bill Howard on this knife. Check out my Knife Tak video at 9:30 for the story on that. Since then, the discoloration has easily wiped off with a jeweler's cloth.

I thought this might be of interest. It is a letter to dealers from GEC about the #97 Coke Bottle production.

"As of today, 10 December, 2018, the total orders from GEC distributors and dealers for the #97 pattern are approximately 5,200 pieces. That is a substantial number of knives. I am anxious to get started on them and excited about producing another old classic pocket knife design.

When we go into production on this run, we hope to have them reach our inspection department by early February. Once inspected and we start shipping this run, I calculate that it will take 33 work days to complete. That is over a month and a half calendar time. Be advised, there may be several days when you do not receive new product from GEC.

Happy Holidays,
Bill Howard"

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

The Pemberton is a small knife . IMHO it is too small to be thought of as an EDC but it is a great little Sunday carry . I do have one and it is one of my favorite ones to have and it is after all a Small Coke Bottle . I usually carry the Pemberton and an 18 together :

Harry

WOW those are incredible Harry! You'll have to bring those to the '19 Rendezvous!

Just remember, that historically for Case, a 3000 piece order was a limited edition. Maybe GEC's fame has finally taken off. I'm surprised at how many of my knife friends still don't know about GEC.

I agree in one sense, that things are moving toward larger general run numbers. But, in another sense, it's certainly not at the level of Case. A real limited run of GEC is still 250 at the largest.

Im not sure why alot of people on this forum are balking on this pattern "the #97", unless its because alot of people these days dont actually put knives to use. This knife pattern is a little on the big size but with the way this clip blade is positioned theres a huge amount of cutting power in this knife. It will be a aweome skinning knife or heavy use knife plus you dont see knives in this pattern very often anymore, so...it should appeal to actual knife users and collectors also. I for one would reserve one of each variety if i had the money especially yellow bone and ebony but since i have limited money im a sure on the yellow. But the size of it alone should excite at least "alot" of knife people cause big knives are impressive!

I use my knives. I have used several limited GEC knives that others would "balk" at my using them. Still, size is a definite consideration in whether or not a knife is practical for normal every day carry. My GEC 98 Camp Knife, my Queen Hunter, and other large knives are just not comfortable to carry. I like a long bladed knife, but knives of this size with traditional construction are not easy to carry. I definitely want a 97, but that's really just for the history of the pattern and traditional aesthetic. I think it's going to be a really cool knife!

And that's not to get into the generally utilitarian value of traditionals vs. others.

I appreciate you having your own situation and interests for sure, but:

1: I carry at least 2 knives most days, a modern and a traditional. Often I carry more than that if you include my work bag etc.
2: I fall in love with a lot of knives, and those are the ones I keep. So I usually carry a knife or combination of knives a few days then move on.
3: I definitely love the knife more than the chase. I like to appreciate the workmanship and aesthetics and usefulness more than the rarity.
4. I tend to ge super excited when I see a knife come to fruition in a way that appeals to me.

Last edited:
Hello and thanks, it's a Chinese made Böker Pocket Bowie- Tom Krein grind. Very well made tough carry that's a useful small fixed. Not sure if it's still made though as I got it 6 years or more back.

I thought it looked a little Krein-y... That's cool.

Now that I've scored my Grail (the blue Camel Bone), I thought I'd show my 78's. Pretty happy with the collection. Probably will stop here - :rolleyes:
View attachment 1043195

Nice lineup. Not a 2 blade fan? Or ironwood? Or micarta?

Nice lineup. Not a 2 blade fan? Or ironwood? Or micarta?
Thank you.
I have some 2 blades, including the new Forum Knife, just not in 78's. I am just really taken with the single blade 78's and since I generally lean towards single blades anyway, I decided to limit myself those.
The Ironwood is absolutely cool (another miss for me :() and if I was able to find a "nice" one, I'd pull the trigger.
Personally, I don't feel the same about the Cocobola, the jigged Elderberry or Stag in the 78 but I guess that's why they offer choices.
I have a few micartas and I carry my 25 a lot. But all in all, I prefer a natural material.

Thank you.
The Ironwood is absolutely cool (another miss for me :() and if I was able to find a "nice" one, I'd pull the trigger.
Personally, I don't feel the same about the Cocobola...

GEC used to have really nice cocobolo, but it seems like lately, when they run it, it's a little less red and a little more lackluster than it used to be.

This is my only single blade 78, and a recent addition. The ironwood and the shield are both great.

45740954984_be0e34c49a_b.jpg

GEC used to have really nice cocobolo, but it seems like lately, when they run it, it's a little less red and a little more lackluster than it used to be.

This is my only single blade 78, and a recent addition. The ironwood and the shield are both great.

45740954984_be0e34c49a_b.jpg
After holding a couple 78s I loved the action but didn’t care for the spear, but that ironwood always makes me smile when I see one.

Back