Lets talk GEC!

In general a knife cuts with a slicing action, so it’s true that Mike Latham can open past the half stop by pushing against the blade with his thumb. The blade clicks open and it doesn’t cut him.

SteveC SteveC my internet is terrible right now, but I think this is what you’re looking for, iirc:

I don’t think it’s a good idea, personally. I think putting flesh against a sharp edge is not a good practice. It’s like looking down the barrel of a gun- yeah, in all likely hood the gun isn’t going to go off without pulling the trigger, but why invite the opportunity?

I still don’t personally see how a half stop makes it more dangerous. I think practicing fundamental knife safety should be enough to prevent most accidents. I’m really surprised how many of you share this belief: perhaps GEC should consider giving up half stops in favor of customer safety.

I think the most logical solution is, if you like half stops buy knives with them, and if you don't like half stops buy knives without. This is like a gun- to have or not to have a thumb safety argument.

Personally I'm fine either way, I just don't get my fingers in the way of the blade, problem solved. All knives welcome at my house, you can send the ones you don'tike to.....

:D

In general a knife cuts with a slicing action, so it’s true that Mike Latham can open past the half stop by pushing against the blade with his thumb. The blade clicks open and it doesn’t cut him.

SteveC SteveC my internet is terrible right now, but I think this is what you’re looking for, iirc:

I don’t think it’s a good idea, personally. I think putting flesh against a sharp edge is not a good practice. It’s like looking down the barrel of a gun- yeah, in all likely hood the gun isn’t going to go off without pulling the trigger, but why invite the opportunity?

I still don’t personally see how a half stop makes it more dangerous. I think practicing fundamental knife safety should be enough to prevent most accidents. I’m really surprised how many of you share this belief: perhaps GEC should consider giving up half stops in favor of customer safety.

Or perhaps not. ;)

This half-stop paranoia would be entertaining if it wasn’t so trivial. In essence, if you believe half-stops on pocket knives are a safety hazard is to ignore the responsibility you have as the owner and user of that tool. If handled negligently a knife will cut you. Same with a gun only the end result may be far worse.

A knife without a half stop used negligently will cut you. Non-half stops are lazy. They usually have springs weak enough to defeat a strong bias toward staying open or closed. Open blades can be easily and inadvertently rolled closed (my 66s come to mind) and there is nothing there to stop them at mid point, unless maybe a finger or thumb.

I’d say that half stops, and no half stops, knives are potentially dangerous tools that demand respect, accountability and knowledge to be used safely. In the gun world no one who understands safety speaks of an “accidental” discharge. It is always a negligent discharge.

I have both types of folding knives. I still cut myself from time to time. I’ve not once had reason to blame the knife.

And, anyone who hands a child a folding knife without proper training on how to open, close and use it is beyond understanding or respect.

Yeah, I support Mike Latham’s right to open a knife however he wants, I just advocate stringent knife safety. In this day and age it’s unfortunately the responsibility of all knife users to demonstrate a knife’s safe use and it’s value as a tool more than a weapon.

Which brings me to another thing:

I’m a big fan of GEC’s product line for a lot of reasons, but one of them is the respect I get from non-knife users for carrying what they rightly see as a non-threatening tool. Nothing against the modern folders, they are great tools; but I think traditional slip joints definitely still carry that air of “kindly grandfather” knife as opposed to some of more aggressive modern folders.

This half-stop paranoia would be entertaining

And, anyone who hands a child a folding knife without proper training on how to open, close and use it is beyond understanding or respect.

I don’t want to assume anything however the only post mentioning handing a knife to a child so far is mine.
Mayonardo, if you are referring to my post:
How do you know I have not trained my kids?
Where in my post does it imply that I did not ?
Fact: I have extensively trained my kids and nephews on knife safety. We actually read, watch instructional videos and practiced together.
If I feel better ( for now) handing out a knife with less spring pressure and no half stops so they can make a sandwich, so what ?
You are not going to respect me ?
C’mon

CelloDan CelloDan - I probably wouldn’t worry about it. I kinda get one of those “kids these days!” vibes. I’m not sure it was directed at you. You’re probably a very responsible parent: you bought a #93, after all.

Nobody likes Wharncliffe's anymore?
I love a good wharnecliffe. I think currently main blade wharnecliffes/sheepfoots (sheepfeet? Lol) dominate my working man’s collection of well loved and used knives.

I actually just accidentally found a GEC pattern I love with all three typical blade options on it: #79 Northfield Montana Workhorse. Here it seems the spear is the main, but the secondary clip and wharnecliffe are substantial...

No idea when they were made but it might have been a while ago- looks like it was serialized.

Also, speaking of spear mains and my obsession with the #92 I hope to have in September, does anyone have nice close ups shots of a closed Tidioute 92? I’m interested in how buried that spear tip is and where the blade nail nicks fall. I’ve found some picks doing searches, but nothing really showing what I’m interested in.

I don’t want to assume anything however the only post mentioning handing a knife to a child so far is mine.
Mayonardo, if you are referring to my post:
How do you know I have not trained my kids?
Where in my post does it imply that I did not ?
Fact: I have extensively trained my kids and nephews on knife safety. We actually read, watch instructional videos and practiced together.
If I feel better ( for now) handing out a knife with less spring pressure and no half stops so they can make a sandwich, so what ?
You are not going to respect me ?
C’mon

CelloDan, no not aimed at you although I can see how you might infer that. Sorry for not being more precise.

I love a good wharnecliffe. I think currently main blade wharnecliffes/sheepfoots (sheepfeet? Lol) dominate my working man’s collection of well loved and used knives.

I actually just accidentally found a GEC pattern I love with all three typical blade options on it: #79 Northfield Montana Workhorse. Here it seems the spear is the main, but the secondary clip and wharnecliffe are substantial...

No idea when they were made but it might have been a while ago- looks like it was serialized.

Also, speaking of spear mains and my obsession with the #92 I hope to have in September, does anyone have nice close ups shots of a closed Tidioute 92? I’m interested in how buried that spear tip is and where the blade nail nicks fall. I’ve found some picks doing searches, but nothing really showing what I’m interested in.
The 79 Workhorse Whittlers were made in 2012. I foolishly passed those up, but do have a couple of 2 blade 79 workhorses.

Here is the best photo of Eureka Jacks that I could find of mine that might meet your criteria. Not sure if it's close up enough though...
pXgWdnU.jpg

Back