Lets talk GEC!

2017 was the last time. Excluding their private label (Northwoods), they've done various SFOs over the years in blue, navy blue, green, black, orange, rust orange, rust red, yellow, amber, and brown camel bone.
Those were the “good ole days”. Back then the only time you would get a camel bone GEC was on a Northwoods or KSF SFO.

That may have something to do with the owner's very unfortunate early passing. Just a guess.

2017 was the last time. Excluding their private label (Northwoods), they've done various SFOs over the years in blue, navy blue, green, black, orange, rust orange, rust red, yellow, amber, and brown camel bone.

Since Northwoods gets more SFO production from GEC than any other dealer (like 5 to 3 ratio of Waynorth and 5 to 1 ratio over all other dealers) - my guess is that GEC has trimmed the other branded runs. They can sell all they get, thus it makes sense the choice is not theirs.

That's the stuff I miss! We are lucky to get what we can get, but it was fun seeing the bright colors on regular GEC production knives.

This may have been asked before, but is GEC planning to release another Barlow-type knife (large, stamped bolster)? I like the Tom’s Choice quite a bit, but can’t afford the $300ish dollars on the secondary market.

That's a good question.

I think the last time we saw TCs made was in 2018 on the #14 frame. We didn't get any TCs last year but we did get some NF Barlows from Mike. I'd say we might be due for a TC release this year but I would only be speculating.

I would very much prefer a 2-blade TC over the single blades, as I find the 15 pattern to almost be too small otherwise. Hence why I generally prefer the NF Barlows as they are built on the 77 frame. That all said, I would love to see another run of 25s, they look good as Barlows too!

VLuHxGG.jpg

That's a good question.

I think the last time we saw TCs made was in 2018 on the #14 frame. We didn't get any TCs last year but we did get some NF Barlows from Mike. I'd say we might be due for a TC release this year but I would only be speculating.

I would very much prefer a 2-blade TC over the single blades, as I find the 15 pattern to almost be too small otherwise. Hence why I generally prefer the NF Barlows as they are built on the 77 frame. That all said, I would love to see another run of 25s, they look good as Barlows too!

VLuHxGG.jpg
Dylan the last TC’s were actually Ancients on the 15 frame. Released in June of ‘18. And 14’s in October of ‘18. You’re right my friend! :)

Dylan the last TC’s were actually Ancients on the 15 frame. Released in June of ‘18. And 14’s in October of ‘18. You’re right my friend! :)

Nope the white and black 14s fall of 18.

Ron, I had actually forgotten about the Ancient 15s (silly me, it's one of my more treasured knives...). I also often forget that the 14s get plied with the TC treatment - I only remembered this time around because I was looking at one the other day and thinking, "This looks awfully small for a 15....). A temporary brain lapse... :D

Nope the white and black 14s fall of 18.

Ron, I had actually forgotten about the Ancient 15s (silly me, it's one of my more treasured knives...). I also often forget that the 14s get plied with the TC treatment - I only remembered this time around because I was looking at one the other day and thinking, "This looks awfully small for a 15....). A temporary brain lapse... :D
I’m also a fan of the Ancients Dylan! And I’ll say, I’m glad they’re on the 15 frame. If you catch my drift! ;)

The Micarta looks like it’s their Muslin Micarta. I like it. :thumbsup:

JjvFwr4.jpg

hHH88qP.jpg

I was more interested in the Micarta #23 when I thought it was going to be the regular Muslin Micarta. I’m not sure how I feel about the “Woodland” Micarta on a folder. o_O I’m going to wait and see how they look when they’re done. I doubt there’ll be a mad rush for the standard releases. :D

Has GEC done a run with mesquite or antique autumn natural bone before? Searching the internet I cant find an example. If anyone has a photo of how it would look it would satisfy my curiosity.

Has GEC done a run with mesquite or antique autumn natural bone before? Searching the internet I cant find an example. If anyone has a photo of how it would look it would satisfy my curiosity.

I don't have a good representative picture of mine but if you search for the GEC #98 Texas Cattle Knife it was made in the antique autumn bone. I really like the coloration, it's very traditional. Just hope the jigging pattern is well defined.

Back