Lets talk GEC!

GRAIL? They haven't made it yet :D;)

Shadow or Tip-Bolster, 3 3/8" or 3.5" like a scaled down 38, Spear master Clip secondary. Or Drop-Point /Pen or Spear/small Sheepfoot or Pruner;) Grooved Stag, interesting Jigged bone, Micarta oh and I want it all steel and one version carbon the other stainless 154 :cool: Not a big ask :D

Sketch that for me....

The "grail" knife is used way to frequently, how could someone have a new grail every other week? It also causes one to make irrational decisions and over pay for knives. Which in turn inflates the market for everyone. I don't use the term and therefore don't have a grail. There are a few I would like to have and will buy or trade for if the opportunity presents but no grail.

The "grail" knife is used way to frequently, how could someone have a new grail every other week? It also causes one to make irrational decisions and over pay for knives. Which in turn inflates the market for everyone. I don't use the term and therefore don't have a grail. There are a few I would like to have and will buy or trade for if the opportunity presents but no grail.

That is true, the term is throw around quite liberally. I use it to label a select few knives that I would love to own but don't really ever expect the opportunity to present itself for a reasonable price. I generally call them 'my Top 5', not my grails tho.

An 85 harness jack (without paying a crazy price) is my current 'grail'. Was talking to somebody about trading for one recently but he got an offer he liked better from somebody else. That near miss has whetted my appetite though.

Sketch that for me....

If only I could ;)

It would be single-spring blade at each end Penknife type construction, here's an old Hoffritz of mine for Serp frame reference, Shadow or small bolsters disregard the sabre blade, think Spear instead. The small Clip secondary the same as found on some Whittlers or the CASE/Bose Norfolk collab.
Drop-Point might go in this frame too, they lay more flat than say a Clip.

FgBiVWX.jpg

Here are the 38s, the GRAIL would be smaller but the same Serp frame Penknife construction. Norwoods made one using this frame Wharncliffe/Pen

wyuFMWf.jpg

Last edited:

Much like the terms EDC or perfection. In order to make a point too many people use terms that they know will garner attention. I'm no pedant, but I hate that practice because over time it robs words of their meaning.

Last edited:
Yeah I think I definetly used the term "grail knife" too generally when i posed that question. I wasn't referring to the rarity or value of the knife, I was more interested in hearing people's opinions on what their goldilocks GEC is/would be. Which pattern has their ideal closed length, handle ergonomics, and their perfect blade configuration.

Since were talking grails, mine would be a diamond edge cattle knife from either T. Bose, Pena, Oeser or Esnyx (Evan's Longhorn pattern). Unless someone sells me one for $800 or less they will continue to be my grail. There simply isn't a GEC knife that'll ever be made or has ever been made that would fall into "grail" territory for me.

“Grail”, definition 2: something earnestly pursued.

Once one finds it, can it still be a grail.

The Bob Lum slip joint I would most like to have, above all others is a) seldom available and b) way too expensive. I’m not pursuing it, yet I want it. It’s not a grail. What is it?

Since were talking grails, mine would be a diamond edge cattle knife from either T. Bose, Pena, Oeser or Esnyx (Evan's Longhorn pattern). Unless someone sells me one for $800 or less they will continue to be my grail. There simply isn't a GEC knife that'll ever be made or has ever been made that would fall into "grail" territory for me.

A custom shouldn't be a grail in that it is always available if you have the funds to order one...that is really a question of economics. I would love to have lots of stuff I can't afford but that does not make all that stuff grails, instead its just stuff out of my price range. The "Grail" of Arthurian legend was something that all those who sought were willing to risk all to obtain. Obviously we aren't going that far in our pursuit of knives (or other stuff) but a true grail must be something that you will likely never obtain both because of its rarity as well as for the fact that you are competing with many others in this pursuit.

A custom shouldn't be a grail in that it is always available if you have the funds to order one...that is really a question of economics. I would love to have lots of stuff I can't afford but that does not make all that stuff grails, instead its just stuff out of my price range. The "Grail" of Arthurian legend was something that all those who sought were willing to risk all to obtain. Obviously we aren't going that far in our pursuit of knives (or other stuff) but a true grail must be something that you will likely never obtain both because of its rarity as well as for the fact that you are competing with many others in this pursuit.

Well said Markeologist. The term "Grail" IMO is way over used here.

Back